So, i am planning on buying a Markbass half stack. I am just saving up the money right now but it's a sure thing. However, at a local shop there is a 200 watt mesa boogie tube combo. It's used and i would need to go back and check it out to see how bad of shape it's in as i honestly can't remember . It's only like 500 bucks so im kinda leaning towards it as i also have to buy a car soon and it's a 800 dollar difference between the mesa and the markbass so it's probably a good idea.

Can anyone gives me some tips to check out how i like the amp (like a guide or a link to a guide) as i have just used an acoustic and am not really sure what sound i love and also a checklist of how to tell if it is quality since it is fairly old. Thanks, im totally a noob but i guess i have to get a feel for my sound
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
It sounds like the Buster Bass amp. Old, discontinued, and probably in need of new tubes. So check Eurotubes to see what it costs to get it done and make sure to factor that into the cost of it. When I bought my 400+, I did not do that. So, a year later, I finally saved the $250 to get it done (16 tubes total) and it made me finally hear what the amp was supposed to sound like. I can't imagine the buster being too far from what I hear, but check these things:

Play LOUD!!!! I know it may seem annoying to other people in the shop, but if you play with a band, you need to be loud. So test it loud, baby.

2: Ask them when they got it. They may be able to tell you if they repaired it before putting it on the floor, or whatnot.

3: Mesa does not track serials, so even they couldn't tell you when it was made. Fail.

Ultimately, your sound is in the perfect stage. You decide what you sound like, rather than the amp deciding. I can tell you though, when a markbass amp goes, just buy something else. Class D (lightweight) amps are impossible to fix. Most likely, where ever you bought it from will just send to Markbass (Italy) to fix. An all tube amp can be fixed anywhere.

EDIT: Whenever I don't know about an amp, I go to harmony central to find out the reliability and sound.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Last edited by aceofbass131 at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by aceofbass131
It sounds like the Buster Bass amp. Old, discontinued, and probably in need of new tubes. So check Eurotubes to see what it costs to get it done and make sure to factor that into the cost of it. When I bought my 400+, I did not do that. So, a year later, I finally saved the $250 to get it done (16 tubes total) and it made me finally hear what the amp was supposed to sound like. I can't imagine the buster being too far from what I hear, but check these things:

Play LOUD!!!! I know it may seem annoying to other people in the shop, but if you play with a band, you need to be loud. So test it loud, baby.

2: Ask them when they got it. They may be able to tell you if they repaired it before putting it on the floor, or whatnot.

3: Mesa does not track serials, so even they couldn't tell you when it was made. Fail.

Ultimately, your sound is in the perfect stage. You decide what you sound like, rather than the amp deciding. I can tell you though, when a markbass amp goes, just buy something else. Class D (lightweight) amps are impossible to fix. Most likely, where ever you bought it from will just send to Markbass (Italy) to fix. An all tube amp can be fixed anywhere.

EDIT: Whenever I don't know about an amp, I go to harmony central to find out the reliability and sound.

So im thinking it might not be a good idea to buy it. Are there any good brands that are more in the 600 to 800/900 dollar range that are more middle ( not cheap low end and not rediculously expensive high end) im kinda hesitant about buying 1300 dollar markbass
You could look at Gallien Krueger. There low end Backline stuff is not so good but there mid level and high end stuff is really nice, I love their stuff. This head and cab will cost you about a little less then $1000 and will give you plenty of power (320 watts at 8 ohms).

Head:
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gallien-Krueger-700RBII-Bass-Head?sku=482587

Cab:
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gallien-Krueger-410MBX-400W-4x10-Bass-Speaker-Cabinet-with-Horn?sku=423660
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
You can't really go wrong with Gallien-Krueger. But, if you go for the 700RB, you might as well upgrade to the ridiculously incredible 800RB head or, if you like to Bi-Amp, the 1001RB. Both sound awesome and are very, very, reliable for the money. I take it you like the transparent sound, because you were considering Markbass and Mesa. Check them out, and pair them with a 4x10 or (preferably) a 2x12.

MusicMan SUB4
OLP MM2

Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II / RBH410 x2
Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor
Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
ZVex Wooly Mammoth Fuzz
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
So im thinking it might not be a good idea to buy it. Are there any good brands that are more in the 600 to 800/900 dollar range that are more middle ( not cheap low end and not rediculously expensive high end) im kinda hesitant about buying 1300 dollar markbass

If your second guessing I would make sure you know exactly what you want from your amp and try everything in your price range.
1300 is alot of money and when your spending that you wana be sure of what you want!
Quote by 6stringbasshred
If your second guessing I would make sure you know exactly what you want from your amp and try everything in your price range.
1300 is alot of money and when your spending that you wana be sure of what you want!

Yeah, the problem is that i dont know what i want. I mainly play metal but i just plug in my acoustic and play. Im a noob when it comes to gear/tone
Last edited by Rain_In_Blood at Sep 1, 2010,
I'm just throwing this out there, but sometimes it's hard to get a good idea of the characteristics of an amp when you're just playing it in a guitar shop.

If you don't really know yet what it is that you're after, I'd recommend just buying second hand. That way, if you don't like whatever you buy, you can just sell it on for the same money (if you haven't damaged it) and try something else.

Easily the best way to become acquainted with some of the many options out there.
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
Yeah, the problem is that i dont know what i want. I mainly play metal but i just plug in my acoustic and play. Im a noob when it comes to gear/tone

Your best bet is to just try everything until you like something.
Your not in any rush to get something i take it?
Quote by Ziphoblat
I'm just throwing this out there, but sometimes it's hard to get a good idea of the characteristics of an amp when you're just playing it in a guitar shop.

If you don't really know yet what it is that you're after, I'd recommend just buying second hand. That way, if you don't like whatever you buy, you can just sell it on for the same money (if you haven't damaged it) and try something else.

Easily the best way to become acquainted with some of the many options out there.

I would however there arent any bassists around where live. The closest is the used mesa which is badly priced
Quote by 6stringbasshred
If you like the mesa, Haggle, the worst they can do is say no.
Maybe if you have any old bass gear trade it in towards the price?

I mean i just kinda am going on name, price, and the fact that i actually like the sound but its not like i can say what i like about it.

Also, i actual do need a new amp in the next few months
I never said the mesa was a bad choice. 200 watts of tube power is more than enough to overpower a drummer, but the tone you have in the store (quiet volume) is going to change once you break the threshold (where the amp actually starts working). If you liked the tone, try to haggle with argument of replacing tubes, or age. But that amp was probably around $900 to $1100 new. It is priced pretty low for the value, but the age/condition might be bad.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by aceofbass131
I never said the mesa was a bad choice. 200 watts of tube power is more than enough to overpower a drummer, but the tone you have in the store (quiet volume) is going to change once you break the threshold (where the amp actually starts working). If you liked the tone, try to haggle with argument of replacing tubes, or age. But that amp was probably around $900 to $1100 new. It is priced pretty low for the value, but the age/condition might be bad.

Yeah, the age/condition is what might hold me back. I cant remember how good the condition is so im going into tomorrow to check it out. Also i think the shop does some warranty stuff so if they do have it then i probably will buy it