Panic Attack by Dream Theater, or the solo at least. But yeah, that's a really REALLY obvious question, just listen to a song and if it sounds hard, chances are it probably is.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
everything really is a case by case basis, whats hard for one person may not be for the next.. if you want a challange id suggest something like megadeaths tornado of souls. or stuff from these shread guys i really dont get into such as steve via or paul gilbert
I've been playing 15 years and started by learning Metallica and Megadeth songs so now everything comes easy. I just wanted to know what people thought was difficult to gauge my level.
protest the hero has alot of really intense riffs, sequoia throne would probably be a good challenge.
Usually the metal stuff is quite complex.

Necrophagist is quite hard, but I don't think it's challanging for someone who's been playing for 15 years. After 15 years nothing should really be challanging.
Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Rusty Cooley, Between The Buried And Me, Shawn Lane, Jason Becker, John Petrucci. Pretty much anything by them is a little challenging.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by SlackusMaximus
I've been playing 15 years and started by learning Metallica and Megadeth songs so now everything comes easy. I just wanted to know what people thought was difficult to gauge my level.

You don't have a "level", there's no such thing. Everyone learns different things in different ways at different speeds, trying to compare yourself to others objectively is futile.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
pretty much the hardest song is to play arpeggios and improvisation over is Giant steps. google "giant steps modulation" and youl see why.

basically, if youve learnt all the most advanced jazz standards, and you have mastered sweeping, you should then consider it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by Banjocal
pretty much the hardest song is to play arpeggios and improvisation over is Giant steps. google "giant steps modulation" and youl see why.

basically, if youve learnt all the most advanced jazz standards, and you have mastered sweeping, you should then consider it.

That sounds pretty basic compared to some other things that have been suggested.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by SlackusMaximus
What are some difficult songs that take years of playing to be able to play?

This Dying Soul - Dream Theater, unison at the end. Try playing that
That sounds pretty basic compared to some other things that have been suggested.

What? It would be extremely hard to improvise with such speed and fluidity over Giant Steps like Coltrane did.
Call me Batman.
Quote by Junior#1

Jazz is all improvised. All of the shred stuff is difficult for mostly technical reasons.

It's a different thing...
Quote by Junior#1
Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Rusty Cooley, Between The Buried And Me, Shawn Lane, Jason Becker, John Petrucci. Pretty much anything by them is a little challenging.

Shawn Lane, a little challenging? Wat? haha
Tosin Abasi, Jeff Loomis, Chris Broderick.

Master these fiends and you shall be the master of the metal axe
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by jogogonne
Jazz is all improvised. All of the shred stuff is difficult for mostly technical reasons.

It's a different thing...

EDIT: ok im shit at explaining so heres a better description: "Giant Steps is a 16-bar form. On its first repetition, it seems to start with a seven bar A section that changes to a new key in the key cycle every bar and a half, followed by an 8-bar section where a new key in the cycle is visited every two bars. When the last bar, the 16th bar, is visited it becomes clear that when the form is repeated, the A section actually starts on this bar and is 8 bars in length rather than the 7 bar length we initially perceived. Moreover the A section, consists of a four bar pattern covering bars 16, 1, 2, and 3, that is transposed down a major 3rd and repeated during bars 4, 5, 6, and 7. "...theres more but i cba to get the info

trying to improvise over it while thinking about what to play next s enough to make even the most experienced players shit themselves. and normal scales dont really work over it often because it dosent retain a centre long enough, so you hav to arp it really. its got 10 key changes all together, at about 210 bpm. hard.

and jazz is all improvised and isnt technical? im tempted to sig that because im almost convinced youre being sarcastic.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by Banjocal

and jazz is all improvised and isnt technical? im tempted to sig that because im almost convinced youre being sarcastic.

In general, the difficulty of jazz does not lie in the technical aspect. It lies in creating melodies against a changing harmonic backdrop. Most people consider the greatest jazz musician of all time Louis Armstrong. Enough said...

There's difficulty in trying to play Giant Steps and there's difficulties trying to play Y. Malmsteen stuff note for note.

Trying to argue one is harder than the other is pointless...
Quote by Bernier51
protest the hero has alot of really intense riffs, sequoia throne would probably be a good challenge.

i love that song.
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
Quote by piszczel
Usually the metal stuff is quite complex.

Necrophagist is quite hard, but I don't think it's challanging for someone who's been playing for 15 years. After 15 years nothing should really be challanging.

The amount of time you've been playing makes little difference really, I've met 60 year old players who've been playing since their 20s who I could technically play rings around.

Quote by SlackusMaximus

Everything is easy huh?

Play this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEpst3W6KD8

I would also like to see you improvise over Giant Steps, if you can do that well I will tip my hat to you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by jogogonne
In general, the difficulty of jazz does not lie in the technical aspect. It lies in creating melodies against a changing harmonic backdrop. Most people consider the greatest jazz musician of all time Louis Armstrong. Enough said...

There's difficulty in trying to play Giant Steps and there's difficulties trying to play Y. Malmsteen stuff note for note.

Trying to argue one is harder than the other is pointless...

fair enough and louis armstrong the best? no lol...more like john coltrane or blind boy fuller
Quote by EndTheRapture51