im not worrying about buying one right now, but where can I find the Cobra head new or used...I googled and still got nothing on where to get ahold of one ...

one other question: does the head's distortion coming from the pre amp or power amp??? I kno the powertubes are I believe EH el34's ...and the preamp tubes are 12ax7's I kno there's 4 powertubes BUT how many pre amp tubes does it contain??? cuz if I find one that's used then it would be a wise idea to get all new JJ tubes for the Cobra, cuz I wouldn't kno wut all its been through.

I heard a very good quality recording on youtube where the guy muted the webcam mic and utilized the SM57 mic sound instead. you can hear that demo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuM-yLNtiv0
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
I just wanted to comment on the cobra. The cobra was an interesting amp when I tried it out. When I tried it out there were two side by side of each other and I actually played both and two my surprise when I set them up to the exact settings they sounded quite different from each other. It's an odd thing and made me look past Cobras because of the non consistent sound.. It also has to do with dialing in the amp but a lot of people hate them and a lot of people like them. I liked the one but I didn't like the other so much. The amp was completely fine, both were functional and rarely played, and they were going through the same cabinets. I don't know what it was but it just biased my choice a lot.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
I just wanted to comment on the cobra. The cobra was an interesting amp when I tried it out. When I tried it out there were two side by side of each other and I actually played both and two my surprise when I set them up to the exact settings they sounded quite different from each other. It's an odd thing and made me look past Cobras because of the non consistent sound.. It also has to do with dialing in the amp but a lot of people hate them and a lot of people like them. I liked the one but I didn't like the other so much. The amp was completely fine, both were functional and rarely played, and they were going through the same cabinets. I don't know what it was but it just biased my choice a lot.

They're really picky about their bias imo. One's bias may have drifted? older tubes in one?

I'd love to give you a demo of mine, but haven't got any recording equipment, sorry.
I wouldnt be so incliened to go off clips. Poor eqing and mic placement are always going to be a problem. Need to open a cobra up and let it breathe to cut the fizz at bedroom levels, making most youtube clips irrelivant, not to mention the compression. Try and track someone down in your area with one and try it.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Aug 31, 2010,
Derek (MatrixClaw) has one on his profile.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Ignite
Sounds kinda weak... like it should turned up a bit more, or maybe different cab/mic combination. I don't know.

yeah I thinking that too..maybe some kind of lack of gain or something. anyways thanks a lot for the link!
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
4 EL-34s, 5 12AX7s.

Quote by kylendm

Were they the same revision?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
4 EL-34s, 5 12AX7s.

hey thanks! this will help with getting netubes for it a head of time..cuz like I sed before... who know what they've really been thru or how much they will have left
in them..

BUT I gotta kno: where or how did you get ahold of the cobra??
Quote by C_majzer

IMO Ola will make any amp sound incredibly brutal. Hes a talented guitar player who knows how to record great guitar tone. Watch his other videos.

I'm not saying the framus can't get brutal, it can, but I wouldn't judge a cobra by his videos.
/rig
Quote by MatrixClaw
4 EL-34s, 5 12AX7s.

Were they the same revision?

You recognize that clip I posted?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by C_majzer
BUT I gotta kno: where or how did you get ahold of the cobra??

I bought it from a guy on Craigs List in another state, who turned out to be a Harmony-Central member. They pop up quite frequently on the classifieds there, on Rig-Talk and on Seven String.

Quote by mmolteratx
You recognize that clip I posted?

AM's clip of his Valve Junior with DoD pedals through it?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 2, 2010,
hey matris claw I got a question

that Di ROS track you're using for tone demos,were you the one who originally recorded it?
Quote by archenemyfan

that Di ROS track you're using for tone demos,were you the one who originally recorded it?

No:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/569814-definitive-rose-sharyn-di-backing.html
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Hey matrix they were both V5s. Sorry just saw your post earlier.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Fearedse (Ola Englund)'s channel is great for metal heads. He makes me want a Dual Rec.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by MatrixClaw
I bought it from a guy on Craigs List in another state, who turned out to be a Harmony-Central member. They pop up quite frequently on the classifieds there, on Rig-Talk and on Seven String.

AM's clip of his Valve Junior with DoD pedals through it?

Yup. I thought it was his VHT at first.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by 2841981
Ola is a legend.

in-deed.

but, another question (to anyone) about the Cobra...I heard these heads can get buzzy...so someone mentioned something like: switch the bias upto 33-35mA from the factory 25-28mA, and that would solve that... but how would I go about doing this?? (this is my last question for "note-taking" on this thing)...

Thanks in advance
Quote by C_majzer
in-deed.

but, another question (to anyone) about the Cobra...I heard these heads can get buzzy...so someone mentioned something like: switch the bias upto 33-35mA from the factory 25-28mA, and that would solve that... but how would I go about doing this?? (this is my last question for "note-taking" on this thing)...

Thanks in advance

Very easily, learn how to bias an amp. There's a great video on EuroTube's website, you need a bias probe and a multimeter.

And yes, they can get fizzy, another thing you need to do is keep the channel volume above 2 o'clock on the gain channels, that will dial out a lot of the fizz.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by archenemyfan

if you're talking about hte video, then no that was not me playing...
Quote by C_majzer
if you're talking about hte video, then no that was not me playing...

He was asking MatrixClaw if that Rose of Sharyn clip that has been going around that everyone keeps reamping is his, which it is.