I can't even begin to count how many times I keep making threads looking for amp suggestions. I honestly hope to end my search soon.

Anyways, on my quest to find a decent amp in my price range, I keep seeing this amp, the Valveking. The price is very good at a bit over 400 dollars, and the cleans sound very good, with the drive sounding not bad. I mostly play differing types of extreme metal such as thrash, death, doom, stoner, sludge, etc, but I also want an amp that can do some nice cleans, because I like the clean sections in my songs to really stand out.

I play a lot of different genres, though I mostly meddle in heavy metal, finding a good amp that is inexpensive but versatile and with good tone is difficult, so I guess what I asking is is the Valveking a good choice of amp for such things?
It's a good amp. Most people end up changing its sub-par speaker out though. Because of this, it ends up costing as much as a better amp.

You could get a 6505 112 combo for like 50-100 dollars more (or the same price as a VK used) and it's much, MUCH better for metal and stuff.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Aug 31, 2010,
Man, why are there so many amps? I can't even begin to fathom the idea of buying anything. I hate being cheap, it takes me forever to make a purchase.
Quote by Anzio
Man, why are there so many amps? I can't even begin to fathom the idea of buying anything. I hate being cheap, it takes me forever to make a purchase.

Imagine a world where only a handful of amps and pedals and guitars, etc. exist.

Everyone's tone would be identical.

And that's why you should get the 6505>Mesa 4x12 to be different.

Oh wait...
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I was more venting my frustration about not being able to figure which amp I want more than I was actually asking why there are so many types of amps. Nevertheless.
Well, IMO, if you play anything with cleans, but want a cheap amp and don't want to skimp on the dist., a 6505+ sounds good to me. Then again, I haven't tried many amps in your price range. All I know is that 5150 II/6505+'s have clearer cleans than the 5150/6505.

My 6505+ is pretty badass for metal. More gain than I will ever need and pretty versatile, considering the price.
The ValveKing is awesome if you get it used. I've seen the 112's go as low as $200, which is a ridiculously good price for a tube amp of it's size, imo. It's not very good for metal by itself though. If you don't want to mod yours, you will probably be better off doing what the above posters have said. I bought my VK used, and it was already modded, which was lucky for me.

Chances are if it's used though, the person selling it hasn't modded it though. Unless you want lush amazing cleans, I'd definitely look for a 5150 II or a 6505+.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well I already have pedals for distortion and such so that's not a huge concern of mine. I'm not above buying an amp and upgrading the stock components, so long as in the end it sounds good and I didn't overpay. Do the 6505s or 5150s have better cleans and such stock? Would it be cheaper to get one of those or to get a Valveking and mod it?
No way. VK cleans slay 5150 & 6505's. No contest for cleans.

Even after modding though, the VK will never have as much gain as a 5150/6505. So you kind of pick what is more important to you.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Dude this is VERY good for its price. My local guitar shop uses it to demo guitars, i played my guitar through it and when he told me the price i was o shit! It sound good at low levels aswell.
Quote by Offworld92
No way. VK cleans slay 5150 & 6505's. No contest for cleans.

Even after modding though, the VK will never have as much gain as a 5150/6505. So you kind of pick what is more important to you.

Well my metal muff has never had any problems with not enough gain. I often play with it at about noon to 2 o'clock. And my fuzz pedal has always had copious amounts of gain to use, so I'm really not gonna be hurting for gain, I believe.

So if the Valveking's stock speaker is no bueno, than what would be a good speaker to upgrade it to?
I wouldn't use your pedal. It defeats the purpose of getting a tube amp - usually when you get a tube amp, you get it for that sweet tube gain. If you're going to replace your gain with a pedal, then what's the point?

The 5150 II/6505+'s have better cleans than their 5150/6505 counterparts. Not that great, but if you're really looking for gain, might be better for you. I play metalcore/death metal, and my lead boost on my VK is perpetually on, because with it off it just can't get near enough to what I need. Even with it on it's far from the best.

The gist of what I should have said a while ago is that with your budget, you can't get both. You're going to have to sacrifice cleans, or distortion.

In your case, from what I've read in this thread, I think the best option for you would be a 6505+, or a 5150 II, though I've not seen many of the latter used.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you don't feel like modifying the VK (and even if you did...) yes, get the 6505+
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by Anzio

There is a world of difference between being "cheap" and being thrifty. A cheap person buys things based on price alone and usually buys it again even if it breaks. A thrifty person buys something based on quality and value. Don't confuse cheap with having to buy something because monetary issues are forcing you to buy a cheaper product.
That being said I'm a home owner and having a house is like having a personal money pit it forces you to consider value vs price all to often. So I have a Valveking 112. Got it used off eBay. Am I sorry I got it. No. Would I have liked to have had better. You bet. The cleans on a VK are every bit as good as any Fender amps cleans. The VK really has 2 clean modes. Normal clean and the bright mode which is what rivals the Fender cleans. The only thing a VK will not get you is the brutal metal sound. A thrifty person would replace the VK's speaker with a Warehouse Speakers Veteran 30 come on it's only $69. Lot's of people that hang out in the VK mkII thread use them. Me oh I use an Eminence Texas Heat speaker cause I like blues and rock.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Sep 2, 2010,
Quote by Anzio
How do the 6505+s cleans match up to the VKs?

The VK cleans are MUCH nicer but I've been able to get a decent clean out of the 6505+ 112 combo. The 6505+ head on the other hand, not so much.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've been looking to get this amp for a little while now, too. I desperately need an upgrade from my MG15.... Would the VK be better for metal if I threw in some Mesa/Sovtek tubes, or something of the like? I'm looking between that and the 6505 112, but cleans are pretty important for me, not just crushing distortion

i love the tone of Mesas (ie Petrucci) so that made me wonder how the VK would be if I threw in some Mesa tubes, so that I wouldn't have to spend 3000 on a Mesa halfstack
Tubes are not going to make it sound like a Mesa. You need a mesa for that (no I'm not counting modeling amps). A 6505+ will have great distortion but meh cleans. A valveking has meh distortion and pretty good cleans. Can't have it all, you can try buying used though
In threads like theese, I always end up suggesting Peavey Ultras. Same thing here, get a Peavey Ultra! Better cleans than the VK, rediculous amounts of gain (really. Br00tlz are no problem) and I got mine for like $250. It's a head though. But for @400 you could get an Ultra and a decent cab, I guess.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Er, guy who bumped this: start your own thread.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.