So, I've just installed EMG's 81 and 85.

They are great...
Although, I am having one problem.
When I hit a certain string, I get the "right" sound of it (volume).

However when I hit the first string (Mi) it feels like the pickups aren't getting the full sound.
Lets say its sounding 60% of what it should sound.

Sorry if i'm too confusing.

Anybody know what cause this?

ps: obviously the string is properly "near" the pickups (just like the others).

Thanks
I've noticed that with EMG's, you can typically solve this problem by raising the pickup closer to the strings near the treble strings, or your first strings, and getting a heavier gauge set of strings will help a little.

EMG's should be fairly close to the strings due to it being such a weak magnet pickup.
It is the maximum possible... 8(

I even get the pickups close enough, that when I hit like the 12 frets the string actually touches the pickups... yet the sound of the "before" frets still low.
Last edited by demerda at Aug 31, 2010,
So, I'm going to respectfully disagree about raising p/ups as close to the strings as possible, unless it was specifically aimed at EMG's.

While you might tweak one side higher than the other as mentioned, if you raise the p/up (passive or active) to high, you could create string drag, and in some situations actually pull the sting out of tune, though EMG's scrape under the wire in this case.

This isn't the case so much with the bridge p/up because there isn't so much string movement that close to the bridge, but you should be mindful of the height around the neck p/up, where there will be more string movement.

Additionally, if your neck and bridge p/ups are at the same height, there is most likely going to be a notable 'boost' or 'cut' in volume should you instantly switch from one to the other. I know this because I went through a tedious process of setting the height on and 85 and an 81.

For passive p/ups, specifically single coil, a good height to start with is roughly set at 1/8" from the bottom of the low-E string to the top of pole piece on the bass side and 3/32" on the high-E for the treble side.

For H/B's 5/64" on the bass side and 3/64" on the treble side.

These heights are with the string pressed down at the last fret, and are just reference points that I have found to be helpful.
Quote by HigherThanAMile
So, I'm going to respectfully disagree about raising p/ups as close to the strings as possible, unless it was specifically aimed at EMG's.

While you might tweak one side higher than the other as mentioned, if you raise the p/up (passive or active) to high, you could create string drag, and in some situations actually pull the sting out of tune, though EMG's scrape under the wire in this case.

This isn't the case so much with the bridge p/up because there isn't so much string movement that close to the bridge, but you should be mindful of the height around the neck p/up, where there will be more string movement.

Additionally, if your neck and bridge p/ups are at the same height, there is most likely going to be a notable 'boost' or 'cut' in volume should you instantly switch from one to the other. I know this because I went through a tedious process of setting the height on and 85 and an 81.

For passive p/ups, specifically single coil, a good height to start with is roughly set at 1/8" from the bottom of the low-E string to the top of pole piece on the bass side and 3/32" on the high-E for the treble side.

For H/B's 5/64" on the bass side and 3/64" on the treble side.

These heights are with the string pressed down at the last fret, and are just reference points that I have found to be helpful.

It's a thread about EMG 81/85's, what else would the other posters be referring to...

Demerda, did you follow EMG's cap and pot specifications/suggestion? Did you buy them new and get the pot/cap kit included? Are the pickups oriented correctly?

Definitely angle the pickups though, even passive pickups are not supposed to be level.
Last edited by earthwormjim at Sep 3, 2010,
Your nick name means "of shit" in italian?

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
Quote by HigherThanAMile

Yes this thread is about EMGs. They were specifically designed with very low magnetic strength so as to avoid any pull on the strings. In fact that's the reason I like them a lot better than high output passive pickups. Which also means you have to have them close up to the strings in order to get the maximum sound out of them.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."