hello my name is roadworker,i am new to this sight.and hope to be around as long as this site and new freind i meet allow me to be a great part of. my reason why i writeing to any one who does not mind help me out with questine that i have dealing with music and it arrangement,i bee studieden the bass for about a year reading and learn on my owen,well now i hit a bump and i do need too discuss notes techniques with,so is there any one out there who could help me with this and other level of music,thank you.
Last edited by roadworker96 at Sep 1, 2010,
if you are more spisific with your quesion(s) I'm sure more people would be happy to help you understand what ever your having troubles with.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
Quote by pwrmax
Take lessons

I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I think this is a good idea regardless.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
For the love of god, don't mention modes in this forum
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Is English your first language? If so, I suggest getting a grasp on it before moving onto a musical language.
Quote by roadworker96
hello my name is roadworker,i am new to this sight.and hope to be around as long as this site and new freind i meet allow me to be a great part of. my reason why i writeing to any one who does not mind help me out with questine that i have dealing with music and it arrangement,i bee studieden the bass for about a year reading and learn on my owen,well now i hit a bump and i do need too discuss notes techniques with,so is there any one out there who could help me with this and other level of music,thank you.

Hello Roadworker,

I'd be happy to help you with any questions that you may have. You can click on my name and send me a private message. I teach guitar and bass and theory for a living. I can probably help with any question you may have, and if I don't I may be able to direct you to a place that can better assist you.

Welcome to this forum, and people of all races and locations are welcome, even if English isn't your primary language. I'm sorry for all the helpful" remarks that some in this forum have seen fit to leave. You'll come to find they tend to be equally "helpful" in other areas as well, so it's just more a reflection of their character than it is about you or what you say.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Hello Roadworker,

Welcome to this forum, and people of all races and locations are welcome, even if English isn't your primary language. I'm sorry for all the helpful" remarks that some in this forum have seen fit to leave. You'll come to find they tend to be equally "helpful" in other areas as well, so it's just more a reflection of their character than it is about you or what you say.

Best,

Sean

Hello Sean,

You must understand I said if it _is_ his first language. If it isn't, then I would never judge someone for taking on that sort of challenge and communicating in it at all is a huge triumph.

I simply stated that if it was his first language, he should take more care to make it as readable as possible as others are not only trying to assist him, but are putting in their time and effort to communicate solutions to his problems in a way that is readable and easily understandable.

A courtesy we should extend to each other, should we afford it no?

I'm a bit saddened that you thought I was some sort of angry white supremacist and made the judgment call on my character. And while you certainly are helpful around this forum it's pretty clear you are probably doing it primary to gain from it as well by broadcasting your services. Perhaps this is a reflection of your character, but it's not my place to say.
Please guys, lets not have another argument here

I'm assuming that you're just starting up and still have a lot to learn.
This has a lot of lessons that can be helpful:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/

If you're interested in theory, this is a good place to start:
http://www.musictheory.net/

If you have a specific question feel free to ask here.

Lessons are always a good idea, but if that's not an option then you'll have to make do with what you can find. This website and forum is a good resource and the users of this forum often know other good resources as well.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Quote by nightwind
Hello Sean,

You must understand I said if it _is_ his first language. If it isn't, then I would never judge someone for taking on that sort of challenge and communicating in it at all is a huge triumph.

I simply stated that if it was his first language, he should take more care to make it as readable as possible as others are not only trying to assist him, but are putting in their time and effort to communicate solutions to his problems in a way that is readable and easily understandable.

A courtesy we should extend to each other, should we afford it no?

I'm a bit saddened that you thought I was some sort of angry white supremacist and made the judgment call on my character. And while you certainly are helpful around this forum it's pretty clear you are probably doing it primary to gain from it as well by broadcasting your services. Perhaps this is a reflection of your character, but it's not my place to say.

You are judged by what you say here, and the exclusion or ommission of supporting information, leaves it up to the reader to determine the context of what you "meant" by that. If you draw umbrage by my comments, perhaps you should read the above sentence again.

Regardless, the sentence itself is presumptuous, and not related in any way to his question. Who is to say that he is NOT already working on his language skills? If he is, then a suggestion, like that is pretty much self-evident, and possibly condescending, for he would not be working on them in the first place, if not for the reason to understand and better be understood. This is regardless of race, it could just as easily be someone's learning disability.

The point is, that you could be stepping into an area you are ignorant of, with pithy comments like yours, well meaning as you may have intended, how in the world can you claim they were helpful?

Does he have a tutor?

Is he already frustrated with his abilities?

Has he been discouraged?

Is he already self conscious?

Is he blissfully unaware that his English isnt quite up to snuff?

Even the presumption that Music concepts and languages are centered around the English language (learn English before learning music) is a bit elitist. English? Really? Talk to the Germans about this.

Also, with some, there may already be some degree of self-consciousness with people, who may want to communicate but are intimidated and concerned about being ridiculed. A comment like that devoid of context, and which doesn't address his original concerns at all, could easily be read as a snobbish elitist attack on their abilities.

So, in closing, if you want to "attack" me with the underhanded inferences because you don't like what I have to say, you might be better served looking at your own statements and accepting responsibility for their brevity, their out of context answer, and how they were interpreted, instead of attacking the messenger and presuming you know my heart mind and motivations.

And for the record, most of my comments weren't even with yours in mind to start with. In all honesty, I read them and dismissed them.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Sep 2, 2010,
What I said was,

If english is his first language, he should grasp that before trying to move onto bigger and better things?

Pithy? Sure. Maybe I'm the Simon Cowell of UG or something with my stick it the man white t shirts and snide so true it hurts comments. Maybe I'm some jerk on the internet.

If he's german, then go for it! I don't care what language you speak but you should be able to communicate your idea. I dont know why you have to bring in historical german vs english stuff into this, they developed differently in similar time frames each having major contributions to the way we do things.

well now i hit a bump and i do need too discuss notes techniques

I've never heard of notes technique.

But again, if this is not his first language, I fully understand the difficulties of this and am always appreciative that those with a different native tongue take the time to make their best efforts to speak in _my_ language for my ease of use.

Half the fun of message boards is making humor, can things be taken out of context? Yes. But I think this sort of thing is a common divide among people.

Should we sugar coat everything so no one gets hurt and put foam all over the world "just in case " ? Or, should we all grow raw hide skin 3 inches thick and be prepared for the inner jerk in everyone to lash out at us at any minute and be able to take it in stride.

I think Matt Stone said, you either have to make fun of nobody, or everybody. Somewhere in the middle and people start to argue with you about it.

So Renegade, I hope that this little quibble doesn't get between us and our common goals (albeit different methods!) here in the musician's talk at ultimate guitar.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZMojKZV-i8&feature=related
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Last edited by nightwind at Sep 2, 2010,
In all honesty, the moment you become an idiot in my eyes, I tend to discredit the rest of what you say. In your case you aren't an idiot in my mind, (or a jerk, as by the context of other posts you've made, the profile of a jerk doesn't materialize) but I will note the following:

Your rationalizations on your answer show me a guy that is never wrong in arguments. People like that bore me, and I refuse to engage in their game. I see a guy who when faced with their own accountability, instead of being humble, attempted to save face and hide behind pop culture references.

Your efforts at a "win" are better left to those that care.

My motivations for being here are unchanged whether people understand them or not. I'm here for reasons that those who get to know me understand, and for those who don't are ignorant of. Either way, I'm going to continue doing what I do and have done here and let that speak for itself for each person, and I'm very content with that.

At any rate, I have nothing against you, there is plenty of room for different personality types here.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Sep 2, 2010,
Quote by Sean0913
In all honesty, the moment you become an idiot in my eyes, I tend to discredit the rest of what you say. In your case you aren't an idiot in my mind, (or a jerk, as by the context of other posts you've made, the profile of a jerk doesn't materialize) but I will note the following:

Your rationalizations on your answer show me a guy that is never wrong in arguments. People like that bore me, and I refuse to engage in their game. I see a guy who when faced with their own accountability, instead of being humble, attempted to save face and hide behind pop culture references.

Your efforts at a "win" are better left to those that care.

My motivations for being here are unchanged whether people understand them or not. I'm here for reasons that those who get to know me understand, and for those who don't are ignorant of. Either way, I'm going to continue doing what I do and have done here and let that speak for itself for each person, and I'm very content with that.

At any rate, I have nothing against you, there is plenty of room for different personality types here.

Best,

Sean

And for ourselves, I think we will learn more about each other as time go on, both being at least a little bit wrong about the other.

But for now, I consider you a friendly rivalry
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by nightwind

And for ourselves, I think we will learn more about each other as time go on, both being at least a little bit wrong about the other.

But for now, I consider you a friendly rivalry

For the record, Ive already seen enough of your posts and answers to have formed a respect for what you know.

As for rivalries - pfft, I'm here to help, inspire, challenge and light a fire under people, and if you are as well, then we are already on the same team...that's all that matters.

Best,

Sean