Page 1 of 4
Link for the sound clip for my Snott Watt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EUi4gS2erA

Alright so a little while ago I asked a question to Dave at Baron Custom Amps.

"Is there anyway you could build an amp that has just the K88 lead channel and it be small and low wattage? I'd like to have something here in my little studio to always record with but at the same time be able to run the K88 on the road. At the moment it's just out of interest and an idea but if it's possible then I'd consider it highly. "

Now it's happening. Dave just sent me an email with pictures.

Everyone, welcome the Snott Watt.

Specs:

- Single channel dual gain mode 12BH7 Push/Pull 5 to 7 watt amplifier.

- 100% Tube signal path No Diodes or SS components

- 3-12AX7A preamp tubes and 1 12BH7 push/Pull power tube.

- Vintage Gain Mode: Clean to crunch.

- Modern Gain Mode: Crunch to Metal

- Dual gain Controls, Treble boost, gain modes, dry/wet settings.

- Dummy load for use as a preamp and or line out. "When the amp has nothing plugged into the speaker jack a dummy load kicks in which is great if I want to sit the amp at my desk, plug in, send the signal through line out and just record with some speaker sim.

Few pictures of the chassis

When the amp is completely done cosmetically it's going to be sick. I got some custom cosmetic options and it SHOULD be done by the weekend/next week. Hopefully I'll have it by next weekend but man is there anything this guy can't do.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Sep 4, 2010,
WAT DA FOK. I can haz cheezburger?

If I ask Dave to make me a 50 watt dual channel head will he do it for me?
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
maybe an odd question, and totally unrelated to the absolutely awesome amp you are having built, but: any good spacey reverb settings for the GM2? every time i try to make one the reverb gets too harsh or something. and it rings out weird. there are just so many options. haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
do want
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
is he making more of these? price??!?!?!
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by CL/\SH
WAT DA FOK. I can haz cheezburger?

If I ask Dave to make me a 50 watt dual channel head will he do it for me?

I don't see why not but you need some cash first

Quote by InanezGuitars44
maybe an odd question, and totally unrelated to the absolutely awesome amp you are having built, but: any good spacey reverb settings for the GM2? every time i try to make one the reverb gets too harsh or something. and it rings out weird. there are just so many options. haha

Well I just use plate reverb and set it to taste really. I like a lot of quite delay when playing as one guitarist. Setting the mix low and using dual delay is great for backup when you use reverb too. dual delay at 350ms and 500ms is just huge.

^ I'm not sure if he is but you can email him asking. I paid $650 but it might be more/less for you.

Also guys the Brutal/Brown switch changes the voltage. Brown is using 70v opposed to using the 120v the brutal uses. I can't wait for this. I could keep my K88 at band practice while still having this brutal/classic machine here at my disposal. Man I still have an RM100 too.

Too manny amps!
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Sep 1, 2010,
ill definitely try the dual idea. and the plate reverb.on my previous reverb units ive always used big hall and chamber reverbs to get that big sound, but it seems less effective on the gm2. maybe i just need to mess with it more. and i cant wait to hear the amp. looks really nice. and 650 seems like a great price for something custom and handmade. congrats

edit: oh, and you should sell the rm100 and get a mesa roadster so my jealousy meter can explode kthx?

edit2: thatd be cool if you could make some of the options footswitchable. then again, itll probably be a set and go type of thing anyway, eh?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by InanezGuitars44 at Sep 1, 2010,
thats like exactly how much i have haha. damn cant wait for more clips of this GAS
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Yeah basically. For me though it's going to be for mainly recording and home use so it's not too much of a big deal for me.

....there is a roadster with a flight case, power conditioner, ISP Decimator and Korg Tuner near me for sale. but I'd be $600 short if I sold the RM100 lol. I think your ok

^
Dude if you are just looking for something small and versatile I'd get in contact. This thing just seems so versatile haha.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Hey man what did you order?

I saw your thread a while back but I didn't get to post. Screw Fortin, Baron just owns all over it.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Looks interesting, but I'll have to wait to see what you think about it compared to your K88... I have a hard time believing a 7w amp with a 12BH7 in the power section and small trannies can capture the tone of the K88.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yea looking for something small/medium versatile. kinda sucks theres no loop or footswitch tho, hell probably charge a few more hundred if i wanted those things installed. footswitch i could do myself tho just hooking it to the gain switch i guess.

i seriously like had the idea to make an amp like this someday when i have the knowledge too lol someone beat me to it. at least it was this guy, he seems to ****ING ROCK lol
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
He can't add the loop but I think he said something about if I were to want something like 20watt he could because of more room. Loop really didn't concern me though. I mean if I truly wanted to I could run my GM2 through the front but neh haha. Tone sucker through the front.

Matrix I was in your shoes when I saw the 12BH7. I'm still :? but once I get it I'll do a nice test.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
Matrix I was in your shoes when I saw the 12BH7. I'm still :? but once I get it I'll do a nice test.

Definitely interested in hearing your thoughts. $650 is more than reasonable for a low wattage Baron, though I'm not sure I'd see myself using it much. Bump it up to 20w or so (single KT88 maybe?) and I'd be all over that
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
That said though matrix it's the same exact preamp as the K88 so using the Line out to speaker emulation will be extremely similar.

I'd shoot him an Email if you were ever interested as he does custom builds other than what he offers at an extremely reasonable price.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
That was unexpected. A nice surprise, though!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Wow, that sounds GREAT. Kinda makes me want to save for a K88, but that's not gonna happen any time soon.

Also, why is a indoor light for growing certain 'medicinal herbs' listed in 'related videos'?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 1, 2010,
GAH! Just when I thought I had cured my GAS this up and comes along. *grumble* ... *grumble* ... well, guess I better contact him about the possibility of that 20 watt model.
So wait, is that your amp or is that a prototype? Will this be a production model now, or is it just a one-off?

Either way, congrats that looks sweet.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The picture is my amp and it will be done by next week hopefully.

Thanks guys!
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I'm curious how the vintage mode would sound. If it sounds anything like this clip I will be happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il4m14CJ7Cw
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Say hello to teh new king of brutal low-watt tube amps.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Hell yeah! Well I don't know until I play it but if it's not then I don't know what is.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Wow, very very cool.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
awesome

take that, blackstar!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The worst part about a custom amp.

Waiting.

The best part.

Everything else.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
annoying the blackstar fanboys is the best bit. admit it. it even uses a 12bh7. But no pregain. Or amplifying diodes. WHY NO PREGAIN AND AMPLIFYING DIODES? SON I AM DISAPPOINT
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lol!
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
So, anyone miss Acoustic Mirror? I wonder what he would think.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
you could post on his profile, he still checks that, I think. I mean he can still see this thread if he logs out.

And
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by kylendm
Hey man what did you order?

I saw your thread a while back but I didn't get to post. Screw Fortin, Baron just owns all over it.

I got muhself a K2. its only been like 2 weeks and im trying not to kill myself because of the wait.
Page 1 of 4