http://img807.imageshack.us/i/dscf2509.jpg/

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/dscf2513j.jpg/

http://img821.imageshack.us/i/dscf2515z.jpg/

I got my Egnater-modded JCM 800 today, but I regret to say that I do not have a camera, or a decent way to record it. I was told it was made in 1980, I don't know where to look to verify this, but it is in fantastic shape to be such an old amp.

Now the way the egnater mod works is through a density switch on the back of the amp. Turning it up gives a darker, more saturated tone, while turning it down returns it to the stock JCM800 sound. It also sounds a bit thicker with more low end, but i haven't had a chance to crank the amp yet so I still don't know how awesome it sounds. It will be fun to experiment with this, i will more than likely keep the knob turned down for vintage rock, turn it up for more modern music, and keep the knob in the middle so it sounds like a vintage modern.

I think my amp is special because on the front panel where it should say JCM 800 lead series, it says Marshall MG100HDFX. I guess there were only a few of these made, as this model is rarely mentioned during discussions about the JCM 800. The salesperson from guitar center was really great by introducing me to this gem.

In all seriousness, this amp is LOUD!! I thought i knew loud before, but I had no clue. I don't know if i made it to 1 on the MV before i had to back off. My 50w tube combo moves air nothing like this beast, an attenuator seems absolutely necessary. So tommorrow I get to crank it when my family is gone and give you a better idea of how the mod is, that is if i survive. But i still love playing it at low volumes, right now I have to plug it into my peavey classic 50's speakers until my avatar cab comes. Sounds great through the eminence wizard. Through the peavey stock speaker, not so much(definitely not the marshalls fault).

But this head is beautiful and huge. I have dreamed about having this amp for quite a while, especially an older one in such fantastic shape. And the mod is reversible if i end up not liking it, so no big deal there.
Last edited by patriotplayer90 at Sep 2, 2010,
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Cool blog bro

Pics or clips or thread gets closed.

Man, don't be a ****. He said he'll test it and talk about it when his family leaves the house.

HNAD man, i'm über jealous!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
ummm... hate to possibly burst your bubble (as i'm not too familiar with Marshalls product line) but, Marshall does make head versions of the little MGs combos everyone on here complains about, googled the name you said was on the faceplate and this came up:

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productId=39

like i said, i'm not too familiar with Marshalls product line, but to me it sounds like you just got a modded version of that head
Gear:
Epiphone Explorer (Lucy)
Jay Turser Les Paul
1986 B.C. Rich Mockingbird N.J. Series w/Kahler Flyer Trem
Squier Strat
Washburn Lyon Acoustic
Charvel Bass
Fender Frontman 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Quote by N_J_B_B
Man, don't be a ****. He said he'll test it and talk about it when his family leaves the house.

HNAD man, i'm über jealous!

Was just informing him. Not like I am a mod that would lock his thread.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
^^ & ^^^ not the brightest turnips on the truck

HNAD
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904

HNAD

Haha thanks
If the apocalypse is tommorrow, know it is because I turned the amp past 4
Quote by rebel rocker
ummm... hate to possibly burst your bubble (as i'm not too familiar with Marshalls product line) but, Marshall does make head versions of the little MGs combos everyone on here complains about, googled the name you said was on the faceplate and this came up:

like i said, i'm not too familiar with Marshalls product line, but to me it sounds like you just got a modded version of that head

you got epic trolled

HNAD man!
^ LMAO! Oh, what a post.

HNAD man! Sounds awesome!
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by justinb904

HNAD

Awesome patriotplayer !

I've been waiting

HNAD

this mod really has me curious. Get a camera that records please or a disposable camera for pics
Quote by rebel rocker

^I'd just open my wrists up now if I were you.

HNAD! 800's are beastly. Curious to see what you've got to say about the egnater mod.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Hnad love the egnater mods on the 800's, makes the bass shine.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
I took some pics but I don't know how to upload. After playing for a while, I think i will sell it. It is just way, way , WAYYYYY too loud. I could never see using it past 2.5 on the MV, if that, and what is the point of playing an amp that focuses on power tube distortion if that is as loud as it can get.

It causes alot of feedback with my guitars as well, I couldn't turn my SG up to 1 on the pre-amp volume without it humming like hell. So though I would like to keep it, it seems like it would cost too much for an attenuator and noise gate pedal to achieve desirable results, though it is a bit crazy that an amp with not even a great deal of overdrive would require that anyway
Just get a volume pedal and crank it to 10 and turn it down with the pedal.

I've always heard Randall Diezel from Egnater does the best mods, get some pics!
/rig
upload the pics to imageshack or photobucket?

sorry to hear you don't like it. are you able to return it to the shop?
Without pics or clips this thread will be closed... I don't personally care, I'm just letting you know. Its also confusing as hell without pics and with oddly placed trolling.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
http://img807.imageshack.us/i/dscf2509.jpg/

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/dscf2513j.jpg/

http://img821.imageshack.us/i/dscf2515z.jpg/

I think at least one of the power tubes is bad, which may be causing the feedback. I will try switching them out with some ones i have around. I will also wait to pass final judgement until my cab is in and I get an attenuator, something I should probably have anyway.

But it is one loud SOB
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Cool blog bro

Pics or clips or thread gets closed.

HEY.

You're being a real DICK.

TS, HNAD!!!

EDIT:
Quote by rebel rocker

Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Sep 2, 2010,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HOLY CRAP THAT IS A BIG PIc

resize those and then use the 'Embed image into Forum' and paste that link in here like I just did....but not until resizing

do you know what you are doing with your tubes?

CLASH - see my new sig
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 2, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HOLY CRAP THAT IS A BIG PIc

resize those and then use the 'Embed image into Forum' and paste that link in here like I just did....but not until resizing

do you know what you are doing with your tubes?

CLASH - see my new sig

Unless there is some special procedure for this particular amp, then yes
Hawt.

HNAD!
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Win!
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by mespinos

I've always heard Randall Diezel from Egnater does the best mods, get some pics!

Won't that just make my amp sound clean? There is no FX loop
You can buy an attenuator for between 100-250 depending on whether that's a 50 or 100 watt head. HNAD!
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Won't that just make my amp sound clean? There is no FX loop

No, it will sound fizzy as hell. No loop, then volume pedal trick won't work. Forget that.

Back to the tubes, so you are saying 1 of them is not lighting up at all? Which one? Try swapping it with one of the other ones and see if the problem follows the tube or stays with that socket.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
No, it will sound fizzy as hell. No loop, then volume pedal trick won't work. Forget that.

Back to the tubes, so you are saying 1 of them is not lighting up at all? Which one? Try swapping it with one of the other ones and see if the problem follows the tube or stays with that socket.

I was meaning something sounds microphonic, there is alot of feedback, kind of a light crackling noise. And turning the MV up results in feedback hell.
Quote by patriotplayer90
I was meaning something sounds microphonic, there is alot of feedback, kind of a light crackling noise. And turning the MV up results in feedback hell.

oh, ok. Because in post 20 you said you think you have a bad power tube.

I have a blog on biasing amp like this as well.

Attenuator might be a good idea.

Here is a vid I did on microphonic preamp tubes.

http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/Amp%20stuff/?action=view&current=Microphonicpreamptube.flv

Good luck and don't sell it if you don't have too
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 2, 2010,
Quote by mespinos

That will do nothing Ever heard of the eBay attenuators? This is the same thing.

Quote by mespinos

wut?

Aside from the obvious fails in this thread, HNAD man. Is this like the Seminar head basically?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
oh, ok. Because in post 20 you said you think you have a bad power tube.

I have a blog on biasing amp like this as well.

Attenuator might be a good idea.

Here is a vid I did on microphonic preamp tubes.

http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/Amp%20stuff/?action=view&current=Microphonicpreamptube.flv

Good luck and don't see it if you don't have too

Lol nice vid. Leave standby on or off while performing this?
Quote by MatrixClaw
That will do nothing Ever heard of the eBay attenuators? This is the same thing.

wut?

Aside from the obvious fails in this thread, HNAD man. Is this like the Seminar head basically?

I was only responding to the MG100 part of the thread
/rig