Is it weird for a newborn son to take the last name of it's mother? I had always been under the assumption that the son would have the father's last name and the daughter the mother's last name but it turns out that isn't true. Not only that, but I've always heard the "Firstborn son to carry on father's name" throughout my life. Then, my friend has a baby girl and she has her father's last name.

Is there any tradition or is it something that really doesn't matter?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
uhm do you live in america everyone takes the fathers last name here
---▲===
Pink Floyd
Wait.

Wouldn't the child take the last name of both the mother and the father (which would be the father's original last name)

Or are we talking about having a child outside of marriage, in which case, I'm not sure.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Who the hell told you that siblings with the same parent have different last names
Yeah, it's usually the father's last name for all the children considering the parents are together.
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart
it is a bit strange but personally, i enjoy using my mom's last name than my dad's so
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Everyone takes the father's name here. Unless the mother doesn't know who the father is, then the little bastard takes whatever name it can get.
Im taking my last name, regardless. GOTTA CONTINUE THE FAMILY NAME! We dont have any boys in our family and ill be dammed if im the last of my kind. Yes "kind".

Besides..I have a genuinely awesome last name imo. Its got great history to it. And I get into a certain very nice hotel at a discount (No its not Hilton, you fools !)
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Besides..I have a genuinely awesome last name imo. Its got great history to it. And I get into a certain very nice hotel at a discount (No its not Hilton, you fools !)

Your last name is Travelodge?
I have both last names. my mom's last name is my middle name. stupid as hell, but at least it's not hyphenated.

same thing for a lot of my friends. I think it's a San Francisco trend.
Quote by Minkaro
Your last name is Travelodge?

I was waiting for those jokes

Honestly though, if my last name was Travelodge, I think id be an arrogant prick. Just simply because no insults would effect me. Id be too busy thinking about how ****ing awesome my last name was to care.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
i was born outside of marriage. my mother and father got married when i was 4/5 and divorced last year when i was 18. i have my mother's last name.
You can take whatever last name you want

I almost got the name "McKendrick" (moms), but my stupid parents decided to stick me with "Wilson" (dads) instead. Still pissed about that
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway

What do you make of this?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466

What do you make of this?

Suparman
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart
Quote by Grimpenguin
uhm do you live in america everyone takes the fathers last name here

judging by his avatar id say that he lives in calgary canada
Quote by slafoo
Lol I love the fact you use the word majestic to describe titties... it's as if there are hundreds of titties majestically frollocking in a meadow somewhere *drifts off*