#1
Now, sadly this is my own stupid fault.

So I just decided to swap out the tubes in my v18 to some mesa boogie ones. Done the swap, turned it on no sound. After about maybe 20 seconds of trying to play I turned the volume up to about 5, then I saw a blue spark so I immediately turned it off. Thought well maybe the tubes didn't agree or something. So I went to remove the chassis to put the old tubes back in and realized that when I took it out the first time, I plugged the speaker into the line out instead of the speaker jack for the combo. I know this is hard the transformers or something.

I plugged it in. Turned the volume on 1 worked fine. Played for about a minute. Turned it a little more and all of a sudden it starts constantly cutting in and out. I mean like the LED for the power constantly going on and off at about 100 bpm. There was a little burning smell as well. When turned on standby the power is fine. Just when powered on it does this and the tubes don't light up. The tubes are fine though, I check to see if it were them first.

The fuses inside look fine. Nothing looks charred or anything from what I can tell. Could it be a simple resistor? I recently did a mod where I soldered a few new resistors and caps so maybe got loose and shorted?

I'm guessing it may be the power transformer maybe? Or something else?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
#2
check the capacitors, and every part. Try sniffing the circuit board with a straw, it'll make it easier to sniff out actual parts. The smelly one's obviously the one in question :-)
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
#3
I think if it was the power transformer, you wouldn't get any sound at all. I had two blow on me. However, those two blew for different reasons. Peavey told me that most power transformers have a little fuse thing inside them and the don't always go out, they just "open up." Thus, it breaks the circut and it's no longer sending power anywhere. I doubt it's the power transformer, but don't quote me. I'm no electronics guy. I've just blown a couple transformers before.
#4
If anything, it would be the output transformer that you would have blown when you turned it on with no load. However, these things are hard to predict and you might as well just take it to a tech if you don't know this kind of stuff.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣


[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
#5
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
If anything, it would be the output transformer that you would have blown when you turned it on with no load. However, these things are hard to predict and you might as well just take it to a tech if you don't know this kind of stuff.

+1

I'd take it to it a tech. At a minimum you can inspect the board for black scarring and such. Blue spark is not good. I wouldn't risk any more.

Sorry Joe
#6
Thanks guys. Its my backup amp anyways, no biggie. It did sound much better with new tubes though for that minute I played it .

I'll probably take it to a tech.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ