My Jackson RR5 (string-thru hardtail), tuned to D with 9-46 strings, seems to have about the same amount of string tension as my LTD Alexi 600 (FR bridge) tuned to D with 10-52 strings.

Both 25.5" scale length using ernie ball strings.

Thanks.
No, tension is determined by scale length. To visualize it better, tension is only measured from where the string makes contact with the nut, and where it makes contact with the saddles on your bridge.

Chances are if they feel the same, the action is probably different on them.

Or it could be that one gauge higher of strings doesn't make a big enough difference in tension to be noticeable by you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, I definitely notice the difference. When tuning the RR5 to Eb it feels quite a bit tighter to me (than from D and than the Alexi). I know the RR5 has a bit lower action, however...

I'm going by how floppy the string feels when picking it, not how hard or easy it is to fret the strings.
Last edited by Mintjam at Sep 1, 2010,
Actually you know, you might have a point. I think I got tension confused with scale length, so I'm not sure anymore. It's scale length that's measured from nut to saddle, but tension? Might be.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A string through will have just a tiny bit more tension than an FR. First of, the string is a little bit longer on the string through, and second, the whammy bar has a tiny bit of give to it, giving it a slightly spongier feel
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Isn't there something about angles in there too? Which is why some people top wrap TOM tailpieces.
String through the body does increase tension because you are exerting the tension over a longer length of the string. However, it makes far less noticeable difference with guitars than with electric basses. An old trick for bassists to increase the tension on the strings (without a string-through option) is to get a small metal length of tube that isn't much thicker than the string. Run the string through it and then thread the string through the back of the bridge. It definitely helps; particularly with the low B on a 5-string bass.

If you are attempting to overcome floppiness caused by tuning down, then I don't think it will make much difference. You are going to have to use heavier strings.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
It depends what kind of string-through design we're talking about here. If it's a tune-o-matic and string-through bridge then tension while bending will be higher than it would with a tune-o-matic & stopbar, or pretty much any other bridge arrangement. If it's an old Strat-style hardtail, a Telecaster bridge or other similar arrangement then tension should be less while bending.

Bear in mind that staggered tuners, string retainers, higher nuts or a tilted headstock will also increase tension in the same fashion.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.