So I decided it's about time to step up from my "rig" of many years, the wonderful Fender starter kit. I play metal, so the overdrive channel on the 10 watt amp + the single coil in the bridge? ....Awesome, huh.

I have about $1000 with a bit of leeway to get a suitable guitar and amp. I've included a Schecter Hellraiser Special FR in one of my choices, and after trying it out at my local guitar center, it turned out to be pretty nice. Being completely ignorant when it comes to Floyd Roses, I asked a salesman to specify what type of FR it was. He said it was an original Schaller Floyd Rose. The writing on the bridge that said "Floyd Rose Special" didn't seem to match that.

So I looked it up on the Guitar Center website. Here, it says "Bridge: Floyd Rose Original tremolo". On zzsounds, it says "Original Floyd Rose Special Locking Tremolo"

I think I've concluded that it IS in fact a Floyd Rose Special, thanks to..the imprint on the bridge... I've also concluded that Guitar Center salesmen are more or less idiots, and now my question comes in. What the hell is an "Original Floyd Rose Special" I've heard Original Floyd Rose. I've heard Floyd Rose Special. What does it mean? I'm assuming it's another one of those licensed FRs. Could anyone shine some light on this? Is it good? Or is it a flaming piece of trash like everyone makes everything but the German OFR looks like?

Thanks.
the "original" fr special is jsut the special with the added in original so that guitar center can sucker people into thinking they have an original floyd

BUT

they work very well actually. i have one in my dean razorback db floyd and it RARELY goes out of tune. and i mean rarely. new or old strings are the only thing that will make it go out of tune. once they are stretched your set on tunage(thats right, tunage) for at least 5 days.

dont believe all of the shit you hear about non-original floyds but of course try it before you waste your money.
I tried it moderately, I didn't go Vai on it or anything. Right after I left I was wondering..why didn't I mash the FR in every which way I could? I'll check the tuning stability of it next time I go.
I'd say meh. If you like the guitar, just get it. Bridge quality is super overexaggerated on UG.

Here, the Edge III is about the worst thing you can own, when that's not true. Non German OFR's are the same thing. There isn't a justifiable difference to make a big deal out of it. It's really just elitism, and racism really. If you have the same exact parts, but assemble it here instead of there, it's better? Huh.

Just go and play it a while. If it acts good enough, then it's good enough. Don't be mislead by what people online say, though you should take all of their advice. Just with a grain of salt.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I saw the Edge III bashing. I don't like the look of Ibanez guitars anyways, but jeez.
Quote by Offworld92
It's really just elitism, and racism really.

Seriously, racism?

Quote by Offworld92
If you have the same exact parts, but assemble it here instead of there, it's better? Huh.

If this were the case, you'd be right, however it's not. Typically the cheaper FRs are made with cheaper/softer alloys. The metal is less expensive and easier to work but wears out more quickly.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I honestly think that the build material argument is BS. I think that because of personal experience.

I have a 2003 Ibanez RG320, with a Lo-TRS II trem. This is supposedly one of the worst trems you can get, worse than an Edge III, but mine works perfectly fine. Holds tune fine, always returns to pitch fine after abuse. As far as I'm concerned, those are the only 2 things a trem needs to be able to do, and it does them perfectly fine.

If the trem can do that, then there shouldn't be any fuss about whether it's a "real OFR", imo.

Statistically, or at least according to UG, my Ibanez trem should not be able to last 7 years, but yet here it is, perfectly fine.

Note that I bought the guitar used, and it was abused to hell - it looked like hell, and the headstock was cracked off. But the trem still works perfectly fine, after god knows what it's been through.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
So you're the exception to the rule, that's nice for you. Not every cheap trem I've looked at was a wreck, but most turn into one sooner or later. I've played Edge III systems that were screwed up right out of the box (and yes, they were set-up right).

Knife edges are thin and have to withstand a lot of force, even when you're not using the trem at all. When they're made of soft materials, they'll wear out more quickly on average than ones made of materials better suited to the task. The key word is "on average" - one case of a LoTSR not crapping out is not statistically significant.
With the issue over the LFR's I have to say I never believe what anyone says. I had a Douglas guitar whose LFR was supposedly a hunk of junk but after months of me constantly doing my best impersonation of dimebag *not so good* it held up tuning very well. The only thing that was bad about it was that one of the screws on the locking nut block had stripped ruining one of my allen wrenches though seriously that cost only like 60 cents to replace.

@TS - If the guitar feels right to you then get it, if you are worried about the FR on it not holding tune properly then its more than likely just the way you set it up. If a FR is not set up right then it will not have good tuning stability but a well set up FR can have very good tuning stability.