So, I've finally sold my drums and have moneys for an amp!

Anways, right now I have about $350-$375 and can go about as high as $450 to $500. First, I play anything from worship in our church band to SRV, Slash, Jimi, G'nR, Velvet Revolver, AC/DC, ZZ Top to BB King and other bluesy cleans. Not really into metal.

I'm looking for an amp that:

1)Would have good cleans and some bluesy breakup.
2)Wouldn't be super loud as I play in a small youth room at our church.
3)Would take pedals well.
4)Obviously not above $500
5)Preferabbly a master volume so I could get some breakup at lower volumes.

I've found some Peavey Classic 30's. One $300, one $350, and one $225 with a broken reverb tank. I'm leaning towards the classic 30 because of the effects loop and the EQ knobs and master volume, and I've read some really good things about them. Question: How much is a new reverb tank and could I put it in myself?

I had nearly settled on the Peavey because I found no Voxes or Marshalls in my price range, but did find a Blues Junior and Pro Junior in the $300 range. But I'd be playing an SG or LP and am not really looking for the trebleness of a Fender.

Then I stumbled upon a Tiny Terror. I'm guessing it's the combo, but the guy listed it for $400 and I know that's way below what it should be. Even with the great price I'm still sort of leaning away for the fact it has no EQ, no effects loop, and no master volume. I could always buy an resell and maybe make $100 or $200, but I'd rather just get an amp now haha.

I'd prefer to settle in the $300 range as I need a new guitar anyways.

SO. I'm leaning towards the Peavey - good choice? If so, should I get the broken reverb tank, torn tolex one or just pay $350 and get a great condition tweed?

Thank ye!
well, how broken is the reverb tank? some people say that a "reverb tank" is broken because the cables (simple RCA plugs) are disconnected. inside the reverb tank, there should be one, or a few springs. when the hooks are "off" then it's not going to work. it's an easy fix though. just put the hook back on where it belongs.

if not, reverb tanks should be under $30 if you look at the right places. and honestly, you can live without reverb.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
well, how broken is the reverb tank? some people say that a "reverb tank" is broken because the cables (simple RCA plugs) are disconnected. inside the reverb tank, there should be one, or a few springs. when the hooks are "off" then it's not going to work. it's an easy fix though. just put the hook back on where it belongs.

if not, reverb tanks should be under $30 if you look at the right places. and honestly, you can live without reverb.

Ya I agree about living without it. But I would like to have it. Would you care to point me towards the right places? OR better yet, is there a specific tank I need to get or what? I'm lost when it comes to reverb tanks haha

Thanks though.

EDIT: I guess the only specifics in buying a tank would be how long I want it to last? AS in soundwise, not durability.
Last edited by cjmabry at Sep 1, 2010,
i would say the input/output impedance and the length is what you'd look for.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard