Hey guys. I had some riffage I was fooling around with tonight and decided to throw a little song together. I'm not thrilled with a lot of the transitions so any advice on that would be excellent. I'm also not sure how well the whole intro fits in to the vibe of the rest of the song. Any and all comments welcome; I'll always C4C!

Song's titled "Unnamed": http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Odirunn/music/all/play890104

Thanks
Let's party.
This was a really cool song. I'm going to listen to your other tracks now.

I have nothing to crit really, but the intro seemed a bit out of place and sort of holds the song back.

Can't wait to hear this once it has been mixed properly.
Odirunn,
Feels like it needs vocals at times. I can hear several cut/copy & paste edit points (sometimes you can disguise those with drum sounds or cymbals). Otherwise, it sound very good! I liked the bridge at about 2:40 also. For the most part, the audio quality is good. Good overall! Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1356300
Yep I liked it alot. I like the multi tracked guitars and the way the piece speeds up and slows down. I like the guitar tone what are you using to get the tones VSTs or something else?
The only criticism I have is that I'm not particular fond of breakdowns, I've always found most to be lackluster, especially without vocals or a lead, or something to add extra substance. Other than that, I can't really see much wrong with it! Would definitely like to hear vocals though!

Oh, and Bridges is totally a sweet song, too. Reminds me a bit of the album Back to Times of Splendor by Disillusion.
Thanks for the feedback on my song!

Nice riffs, tight playing, nice tone! I like it. Your transitions are very good! I'm not sure if I liked the heavier part at 2:52. It's good, but I don't think it sounds great harmonically. It could work with vocals there though. Great transition to that part! I'm not a fan of fading out, and it doesn't really work well on this song. It rarely ever works, really. It isn't finished yet, I suppose? Great work, keep it up!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
The intro with the single notes gave me a feeling that this was going to be epic, and it was. The playing is pretty tight too. The breakdown kinda seems out of place though, and the chorus riff(I think) gets a bit repetitive. But it sounds really great anyways; nice job my friend!

Crit mine?: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1358135
k first off this track is hot. It is exactly the kind of sound im trying to achieve in my mixes lol,
mind sharing what kind of gear do you use to record and stuff?
I don't really have anything negative to say about this track. loved it from start to end, I really like your music in general, I now remember I had heard one of your songs previously, good stuff man.

anyways to comply with UG rules I'll ask about some of the stuff you mentioned in my current mix. The rhythms were already Quad-tracked lol (100/100 and 60/40)
got any tips to flesh out the bass and rhythm tracks? I just want to achieve a sound like the one you have going on pretty much, idk why I always get..."muddy" tones.
What program did you use to record?
i think UG should have a sub forum to the gear ads... for like recording equipment. not just guitars and amps and that stuff
@Stargazer
Thanks, man. I'm really glad you liked it! For recording I use a POD Studio GX with Pod Farm 2.0. I think these drums were DFH. All my distorted tones use the Line 6 Big Bottom head and Green 4x25 cab.

This is my most track intensive song.

The intro has 6 guitar tracks with each of the 'leads' panned between 80-30%: harmony1 left, harmony2 right, octave harmony2 left, octave harmony1 right, then the double tracked chugging panned hard left and right.

It then clears up a lot for the verse/2-step (this is my preferred tracking method) with guitar 1 panned hard right, guitar 2 panned hard left. There's also a third guitar in the center droning between two chords.

The little mellow parts have 3 guitar parts: One strumming each chord centered with some reverb, one centered picking through the chords with a ping-pong delay to fill the stereo field, and then the swells are centered.

The little breakdowns are just two guitars, panned hard L/R.

The big break at the end has 4 tracks: 2 chugs panned hard L/R. The melodic line is panned center with ping-pong delay again and then another drone track in the middle with reverb.

No bass on this track yet, I've been to lazy to go back and do that.

For yours:
I'd definitely start by cutting the bass guitar a bit. It's pretty overpowering and that's where the rhythm tracks get lost. If your tones get muddied, one way to help with that is to just turn down your drive for each track. The drive on all my heavy parts are between 4 and 5, but when you've got all the tracks playing together, it thickens up again without being muddy. One thing that may also help with your mixing is to mix first without your drums and get your guitars all to a point where everything is clear and you like the sound, then start adding your drums in and remixing everything to keep the sound you liked. It's a painstaking process, but that's what mixing is all about.

Good luck and have some fun with your mixing!

@Sk8 I use Acoustica Mixcraft 5
Let's party.
Last edited by Odirunn at Oct 16, 2010,
Quote by Odirunn
@Stargazer
Thanks, man. I'm really glad you liked it! For recording I use a POD Studio GX with Pod Farm 2.0. I think these drums were DFH. All my distorted tones use the Line 6 Big Bottom head and Green 4x25 cab.

This is my most track intensive song.

The intro has 6 guitar tracks with each of the 'leads' panned between 80-30%: harmony1 left, harmony2 right, octave harmony2 left, octave harmony1 right, then the double tracked chugging panned hard left and right.

It then clears up a lot for the verse/2-step (this is my preferred tracking method) with guitar 1 panned hard right, guitar 2 panned hard left. There's also a third guitar in the center droning between two chords.

The little mellow parts have 3 guitar parts: One strumming each chord centered with some reverb, one centered picking through the chords with a ping-pong delay to fill the stereo field, and then the swells are centered.

The little breakdowns are just two guitars, panned hard L/R.

The big break at the end has 4 tracks: 2 chugs panned hard L/R. The melodic line is panned center with ping-pong delay again and then another drone track in the middle with reverb.

No bass on this track yet, I've been to lazy to go back and do that.

For yours:
I'd definitely start by cutting the bass guitar a bit. It's pretty overpowering and that's where the rhythm tracks get lost. If your tones get muddied, one way to help with that is to just turn down your drive for each track. The drive on all my heavy parts are between 4 and 5, but when you've got all the tracks playing together, it thickens up again without being muddy. One thing that may also help with your mixing is to mix first without your drums and get your guitars all to a point where everything is clear and you like the sound, then start adding your drums in and remixing everything to keep the sound you liked. It's a painstaking process, but that's what mixing is all about.

Good luck and have some fun with your mixing!

@Sk8 I use Acoustica Mixcraft 5

What! mixcraft! i used to use that but i didn't want to buy so i switched to reaper. Which eq did you use?
i think UG should have a sub forum to the gear ads... for like recording equipment. not just guitars and amps and that stuff
@Stargazer That sounds great! Much, much better than your other. Rhythms are defined and crisp, leads sound great, and the bass sits under everything nicely! Only thing I might change is to lower the kick drum just a tiny bit.

@Sk8 I use the stock Acoustica EQ VST. The price of Mixcraft has been well worth it to me and their customer support as been fantastic.
Let's party.
This was awesome, the bridge section seems slightly out of place, but not so much that it put me off it all.

Loved the guitar tones, nice work man.

Asides from that, I don't really have any criticism to offer, perhaps it could use some vocals, but it still sounds good as is.

The softer "verse-y" kinda section sounded excellent by the way.

Crit mine? http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/King+Turi/music/all/play907243
That was great! I love the verse riff, escalates extremely well into a melodic pile of awesomeness. Yes some of the transitions work well, and I also think that the quieter parts happen to often; you should keep just one of them and I didn't like the breakdown at 1:50 onwards. I think that it would work well with vocals. I was headbanging hard at the end at around 3:24, you should try and end on that. It would be a great ending then. You know like a solid stop. But the song is great!

If you wouldn't mind critting my song here it is: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1372207
Quote by RazzleMCR1
What knd of mics or interfaces? (External Sound Cards)

Just a POD Studio GX that's also acting as my computer's sound card because I blew the internal one.
Let's party.
Quote by androidkaita
Dude, this song sounds sick! Love the harmonies, and what drum program are you using, they sound very real. Breakdown is epic as well, good ****ing job man! If this is what you can make the guitar tone sound like with a Studio GX now I am even more convinced to buy one hahaha.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/androidkaita/music/play907590 crit mine please.

For the drums I'm not 100% sure (made this a while ago and haven't messed with it since), but it sounds like it was Ezdrummer DFH and then each drum track eq'd/compressed individually. I'd highly recommend grabbing a POD. In hindsight I should have gotten a UX1 instead of a GX so I'd have an interface for vocals, but oh well. If you're not interested in vocals at all, GX for sure!
Let's party.
I thought that the GX can do vocals too, but its not really meant for it, like you need an adapter cable for the mic to plug into the guitar slot or something, am I wrong?
Quote by androidkaita
I thought that the GX can do vocals too, but its not really meant for it, like you need an adapter cable for the mic to plug into the guitar slot or something, am I wrong?

Yeah, you'd have to have a mic that goes into an instrument cable jack or some sort of adapter. I'm not sure how either of those affect the sound quality of the mic, though. Either way, it's probably safer to just get the UX1 and have the XLR input.
Let's party.