I've been wondering for a while. There have been many cases lately of musician being sued by nobodies for stealing their songs, like Jimmy Page or Coldplay. Most of the cases are based on similarity.

But say you're in an unsigned band, if someone straight up jacked a song of yours (lyrics, music, everything exactly the same) and started making money from it could you sue them even if you can prove you wrote it first but it wasn't copywritten? And what, if anything, can people do to protect their music (not that anyone would necessarily want to steal mine)?
As soon as you write something, it's your intellectual property and therefore protected under copyright law, however, it is unlikely you'd have the money to defend yourself against the big artists that stole your song?
Quote by guitar12
Are you saying Joe satriani is a 'nobody' ?

My thoughts exactly, anyone who comes to a guitar website and thinks Joe Satriani is a nobody isn't worth the time of day.
record it for safe keeping, and better yet u need some witnesses. then it cant realy be stolen sense u proved u did it first.
Quote by rocker222
record it for safe keeping, and better yet u need some witnesses. then it cant realy be stolen sense u proved u did it first.

I heard of something like this before, the "poor man's copywrite", putting a writing or idea in a package and mailing it to yourself so that it will have the date it was sent through the post on it. But it didn't think it was legally binding.
My dad reckons that's how EVERYONE kept their copyright up to date in the 70s, 80s and 90s music scene. Don't think the mailing thing works anymore.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
I heard of something like this before, the "poor man's copywrite", putting a writing or idea in a package and mailing it to yourself so that it will have the date it was sent through the post on it. But it didn't think it was legally binding.

But it is proof that you wrote it first as it has been dated by a government agency
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Quote by Deplorable
As soon as you write something, it's your intellectual property and therefore protected under copyright law, however, it is unlikely you'd have the money to defend yourself against the big artists that stole your song?

I'm a photographer on the side and know a little about copyright laws. I am not, by any means, an expert. That takes a special lawyer. And remember copyright laws are different from country to country. So I speak stricktly about the USA.

Yes, the quote above is correct. But, in order for you to sue it has to be registered with the Library of Congress. Here is the link to the US Laws. http://www.copyright.gov/