Just got my SM57 in the post, got it out, started playing with it, twisted the grille and the two red wires inside snapped. Nice one.

Anyone know how to fix it - I'm guessing I'll need to solder, but I don't know which wire goes to which hole, seeing as they're both red.

You have permission to abuse me.
I hate SM57s. They're just too fragile imo. I don't know what to suggest. Are they numbered? Otherwise you might just have to try one out and see if it works?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I've never had a problem with my 57 or 58... what were you twisting it for anyways?
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
I've never had a problem with my 57 or 58... what were you twisting it for anyways?

Tried miking it with drums?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Well, it's only 2... I'd just try one combination, turn it on, and hope it doesn't explode. If it doesn't explode but doesn't work, just switch the connections.
there is absolutely no difference whatsoever in the tabs they came off of?

I've fixed several of my school's sm58s, but they only broke 1 wire. i think i did have to fix one with both broken off and there is a very slight difference. i believe they're turned in different directions?

http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_sm58_ug.pdf
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Last edited by conor1148 at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by 100%guitarmad
Just got my SM57 in the post, got it out, started playing with it, twisted the grille and the two red wires inside snapped. Nice one.

Anyone know how to fix it - I'm guessing I'll need to solder, but I don't know which wire goes to which hole, seeing as they're both red.

You have permission to abuse me.

Off the XLR?

Are you shure () that there isn't a faint stripe down one of the red wires?

Above also in BIG, on page 12 Shure SM57 Manual

Also states in the manual, if you have a voltmeter, that by speaking into the microphone, you should get a positive voltage on Pin 2, with respect to pin 3. So probably ground on Pin 3 and live to pin 2 and then work out which way round it is.

How to fix a Dynamic Mic (inc Shure)
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by deftonesordie
wait... what?

Well i'm just saying that even though they're supposedly really "durable", they're actually quite useless for miking drums because they're not very good due to the flimsy plastic head which isn't even screwed on or anything.
EH

if you hit anything with a drumstick enough it'll break, man. for the 120$ they cost they've never served me wrong. beer,sweat,blood,vomit, it's survived everything!
------

Shwiggity.
LOL i did the exact same thing when mine arrived too!
i guess i just can't keep anything for 30 seconds before dismantling it : P

just solder them back together, hope you remember which wire went to which terminal.
i sealed mine up with impenetrable electrical tape!
Quote by deftonesordie
if you hit anything with a drumstick enough it'll break, man. for the 120$ they cost they've never served me wrong. beer,sweat,blood,vomit, it's survived everything!

I disagree with that statement. If you play your drums like an idiot then yeah sure but i use all the right techniques and i don't go through a lot of heads or sticks or anything. And it's not as if i hit it a lot of times. I hit it literally once or twice by accident of course because it's too big for a drum mic. I just really don't understand why some people think it's such a good drum mic. It doesn't even sound particularly brilliant or anything.
EH

Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by heminder
LOL i did the exact same thing when mine arrived too!
i guess i just can't keep anything for 30 seconds before dismantling it : P

hahaha that's exactly what I'm like!

Anyway, thanks for all your contributions. It was pretty much impossible for me to solder, even if I knew which wire was which. Took it to the theatre I'm working at and one of the electricians took the whole thing apart (I was too scared to do that myself) and managed to fix it. Once everything (literally everything) is apart, it's easier to solder because you can slot everything that meant the wires were too short over it afterwards.

He said how it was pretty stupid that (pretty much) the world's biggest microphone manufacturer couldn't be bothered to change the colour of one wire on one of the world's 'leading' microphones. If it does make a difference.

ANYWAY, I'll be Shure not to do anything like that again - thanks for all the suggestions!
Last edited by 100%guitarmad at Sep 1, 2010,