a guy who is a master at shred metal,and techno etv...or a guy who is very good in all areas such?not outstanding at one thing but a good shredder,acoustic spanish player,jazz player,rock player....and any other style?Does it matter if the 1st guy is a guitar teacher and has more experience?
You're comparing apples and oranges. Some guitarists are more versatile than others, but that doesn't make them better. Like most things, the guitar has become a pursuit with a number of specialties. One is no better than another. The best course is to learn as much as you can and tailor it all to fit what you want to do.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Now that is one f*****g stupid question.

EDIT: reading back, thats a bit harsh of me... but it is a bit of a daft question since its so subjective...
'93 Gibson Les Paul Special (Heritage Cherry) - modded with SD P90s (Vintage & Hot)
'06 Yamaha RGX520FZ (Translucent Dark Red)
Laney VC15 (Ltd. Edition Old English White)
Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1
Last edited by SooTyLaD at Sep 1, 2010,
That isn't a fair question. It depends on what aspect you're looking at, and the personal preference of the person being asked. One isn't better than the other, really.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Honestly, neither of the two. For me the better guitarist is the one who keeps me entertained, amused or moved more by his/her playing. If the playing is technically perfect or if the player shows excellent versatility is of a little concern to me.
For example Neal Morse is a keyboard player, not a guitarist, and still, whenever he picks up a guitar "for a change", he delivers some great playing, imho. He is neither technically proficient nor "universal player, yet, in a way, he is a great guitar player because what he plays makes all perfect sense.
while you cant really compare i would personally prefer to be the second