Hi I'm looking to build a cab to go on the bottom of the 12"/10", and I wondered what would be the best speaker to use. My cab has Eminence Alpha and Delta speakers at the mo, would the 15" of the series, the Gamma, be the logical choice? Or would another be better. Or is it just better to get a cab with a 15", rather than make my own? If so, what would you reccommend? Cheers.
Quote by Dream Floyd
My penis.

" means inch, not micrometre. Silly boy.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
i would say buying a 15" cab for a few hundred would be easier than trying to build. you should do some research on building a bass cab. a lot goes into it

you can always upgrade/change the speaker later if you want
True. What cab would yo recommend? I'm looking at Marshall MBC or Ashdown MAG 15"'s for around £150. Or another custom build for £120.
Up your budget a bit and look used. Look for a used Ashdown ABM115 or Warwick WCA115 PRO or something along those lines. Should run you about £200ish used if I'm guessing right. Could be less.
Building is going to be cheaper and more satisfying but you can't test the speaker out before parting with your cash and the resale value isn't as good. You can buy a fairly good 15" driver for £50-100 and a cab is going to cost you £30-50 depending upon the finish. If you go for a sealed cab then you should get a good result, Ported cabs are a little trickier to get right.

Read this and, if you can face the techie detail , the article on choosing drive units. If you decide to go ahead then post any questions here and I'll try to help.
Quote by 09phillt
Is there something wrong with the cabs I've mentioned?

Not really, I'm just saying you could get something significantly better by going used and raising your budget.
Quote by consecutive e
Not really, I'm just saying you could get something significantly better by going used and raising your budget.

he could get something better by raising his budget?
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Don't be tempted by the cheaper Delta 15". Fantastic full range speaker for playing music through, awful for playing bass through. A low E would be farting out, I didn't even attempt to play the low B on it. I was really disappointed with mine.
I love my Bag End 115. Jussayin. Look 'em up, shits killer.
I've used it to gig with my death metal band, jazz gigs, and reggae shows.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by forstringwonder
he could get something better by raising his budget?

The key word being significantly. By stretching his budget by only a little. Read and absorb before you decide to be a smart arse about something.
Quote by Phil Starr
Building is going to be cheaper and more satisfying but you can't test the speaker out before parting with your cash and the resale value isn't as good. You can buy a fairly good 15" driver for £50-100 and a cab is going to cost you £30-50 depending upon the finish. If you go for a sealed cab then you should get a good result, Ported cabs are a little trickier to get right.

Read this and, if you can face the techie detail , the article on choosing drive units. If you decide to go ahead then post any questions here and I'll try to help.

Sorry I missed out the links

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/cabinets_for_guitars.html

the techie one
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/choosing_speakers_to_drive_your_cabs.html

enjoy