Page 1 of 2
I'm 19 years old and just about to start university. In the UK if your 18 or under and in full time education all your meds are free. But now im 19 the pharmacist guy said I have to pay... I have Asthma and IBD so I need prescriptions on a fairly regular basis. The cost is £7.20 per item which seems like quite a lot of money. Theres no way an Asthma inhaler costs £7.20 to make, someone somewhere is making a huge profit (screw you pharmaceutical companies, you unethical bastards!).

I've heard from friends that students don't get any sort of discount and have to pay the full price, even though they are in full time education taking out huge loans to cover their studies. You can get a prepayment card which is £105 or something and lasts for 12 months. I'll probably end up doing this but im still not happy about it, that money could buy me a lot of booze!

Thoughts?
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
Guess I'll have to start paying for my inhalers next year too. I'll just stock up on a whole bunch right before my 19th birthday.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
It is stupid. Students don't get a discount to whoever said that. My ex has bad asthma and pretty much couldn't afford to buy inhalers at one point. Just buy the PPC and try to get as many prescriptions as you can so you have loads of inhalers.
dependin on how much loan you get you may be able to apply for free prescriptions and help with other NHS services. complete a HC1 form.
Its ridiculous, Im a student and i have to pay 7 quid too.
Im pretty dependent on my meds as i have asthma and i'm on steroids for a skin condition.

that means i have to shell out 7 quid at least once every month.. ridiculous
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by beatreebor
dependin on how much loan you get you may be able to apply for free prescriptions and help with other NHS services. complete a HC1 form.

Yeah they are sending me one of these forms soon... will just have to wait and see i guess :S
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by shmikeyboy
Students are supposed to be able to get a discount. Or move to Wales, prescriptions are free.

This.

*is welsh*
Quote by xharass_natox
It is stupid. Students don't get a discount to whoever said that. My ex has bad asthma and pretty much couldn't afford to buy inhalers at one point. Just buy the PPC and try to get as many prescriptions as you can so you have loads of inhalers.

I was thinking about NHS dentists sorry.
it's £7.20 per prescription isn't it?

and you're really complaining about £7.20 every couple of weeks?

if you go out drinking at all (you're a student) then you get no sympathy from me. it's the equivalent of drinking 2 or 3 less pints over a months or so (if you're a really heavy user).
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Nothing stopping students getting a job whilst studying. £7 a month isn't much for your health. I spend £7 a month on sleeping tablets, stop moaning.
I think you can maybe get a discount but the form is rediculious and not designed for students at all, more for less well off families etc. so its hard for a student to figure out how to fill it out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

if you go out drinking at all (you're a student) then you get no sympathy from me. it's the equivalent of drinking 2 or 3 less pints over a months or so (if you're a really heavy user).

its not £7.20 every couple of weeks.

I have 2 different types of inhalers, 2 types of tablets for my IBD and also calcium tablets. Thats a lot of meds. Im an unhealthy guy lol :S
Quote by Lemoninfluence

Quote by Burningritual
Nothing stopping students getting a job whilst studying. £7 a month isn't much for your health. I spend £7 a month on sleeping tablets, stop moaning.

Fully agree with both of these. I too had to shell out for prescriptions, but cutting down on one jagerbomb out in town every week saved more than enough for that. Or, you know, learn to budget. Even without a job, you can live pretty ok on the student loan (of which I got nowhere near the full amount for, and extrememly little financial help from the parents).

EDIT: ^Although in the case of multiple prescriptions, that does take out a fair wedge of that budget.
Quote by randomtom
its not £7.20 every couple of weeks.

I have 2 different types of inhalers, 2 types of tablets for my IBD and also calcium tablets. Thats a lot of meds. Im an unhealthy guy lol :S

still that's around £30 a month. A pound a day or one night out less a month.

I always thought it was per prescription but it's per item. It must have changed. I still wouldn't moan too much, the price of inhalers are apparently about £20 if not obtained through the NHS.

And if an item costs less over the counter than the prescription charge, most pharmacists will advise you of that.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
If you have a lifelong illness that requires certain medication, you can get a prescription exemption certificate, which exempts you from prescription charges. I have one, because I have type one diabetes, and I am fairly sure my mum, who has asthma, has one for her asthma stuff. Ask at the pharmacy about it.

Also I am fairly sure university students are exempt, unless things have changed since I last paid attention. Once again...ask the pharmacy people about it, or your doctor.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by Lemoninfluence

This, so much.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Yeah I'm not fully clued in about what's happening. The pharmicist asked if my mum wanted one due to the prescription charges and me going to uni. I haven't filled it out yet though.
Move to Scotland or Wales, they don't force people to pay for what is supposed to be a free service
Yeah NHS isnt exactly free like everyone makes it out to be... we pay for it through national insurance.... Dont get me wrong we're lucky to have it, even despite all those psychotic nurses and doctors who get kicks out of overdosing people, MRSA, and appalling hygiene standards... yeah its great
Quote by randomtom
Yeah NHS isnt exactly free like everyone makes it out to be... we pay for it through national insurance.... Dont get me wrong we're lucky to have it, even despite all those psychotic nurses and doctors who get kicks out of overdosing people, MRSA, and appalling hygiene standards... yeah its great

Hospitals are cleaned by private companies. Blame them for the hygiene issues, not the NHS.

The NHS is awesome.

And you might be eligible for a reduction. You probably have to fill out a form and jump through a load of hoops though.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by robhc
They're free in Northern Ireland

Really? So they're free in Wales, NI and Scotland but not England?

I'm tired of subsidising you bitches. Independence ftw.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Yeap, cheers for the money!
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
Yeah its crazy, Scottish students don't have to pay tuition fees at uni either! Madness!
Quote by randomtom
Yeah its crazy, Scottish students don't have to pay tuition fees at uni either! Madness!

I know that bit. Fucking bullshit.

Independence ftmfw.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
I know that bit. Fucking bullshit.

Independence ftmfw.

I've heard it's London's fault- the UK Government spends so much of it's budget on London that it can't afford to pay for university education. On the other hand, Scotland has realised hat it's going to take more than their allocated budget for the next 75 years to fix up it's capital city, so they spend it on "education" (read: daytime young offenders institues) and pills.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I've heard it's London's fault- the UK Government spends so much of it's budget on London that it can't afford to pay for university education. On the other hand, Scotland has realised hat it's going to take more than their allocated budget for the next 75 years to fix up it's capital city, so they spend it on "education" (read: daytime young offenders institues) and pills.

Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

It's the fault of all the shitty universities. Too many fools go to uni and do bullshit subjects instead of getting jobs. We can't afford to subsidise that.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
It's the fault of all the shitty universities. Too many fools go to uni and do bullshit subjects instead of getting jobs. We can't afford to subsidise that.

Of course we can subsidise "Sci-Fi History" and "Philosophy."

I'm joking. We should never subsidise philosophy courses.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Of course we can subsidise "Sci-Fi History" and "Philosophy."

I'm joking. We should never subsidise philosophy courses.

Sci-fi history ftw.

I still want someone to just come out and say that the way to deal with the higher education issue is to close the bottom 50 unis on the university tables. They'd kill their career but it'd still be awesome.

Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by Meths

I do agree with this, (and I go to a naff Uni, although arguably do an alright course) but there's not job either now /

Yeah TS, HC1 form, I think my mate get's his asthma stuff for free. Not that he needs the money or anything but still...
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Last edited by Cal UK at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The great thing is, it isn't the history of sci-fi by studying Arthur C. Clarke etc... it's stuff like studying the in-universe history of Star Trek etc.

Wait, it's a real course? I thought you were joking.

I met someone who studied comedy the other day. I'd call it a joke, except I'm not that fond of such bad puns.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Wait, it's a real course? I thought you were joking.

I met someone who studied comedy the other day. I'd call it a joke, except I'm not that fond of such bad puns.

No way. Which uni?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Venice King
No way. Which uni?

Southampton Solent. Officially the worst in the country according to the Guardian last year but still a bit upsetting.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by randomtom
I'm 19 years old and just about to start university. In the UK if your 18 or under and in full time education all your meds are free. But now im 19 the pharmacist guy said I have to pay... I have Asthma and IBD so I need prescriptions on a fairly regular basis. The cost is £7.20 per item which seems like quite a lot of money. Theres no way an Asthma inhaler costs £7.20 to make, someone somewhere is making a huge profit (screw you pharmaceutical companies, you unethical bastards!).

I've heard from friends that students don't get any sort of discount and have to pay the full price, even though they are in full time education taking out huge loans to cover their studies. You can get a prepayment card which is £105 or something and lasts for 12 months. I'll probably end up doing this but im still not happy about it, that money could buy me a lot of booze!

Thoughts?

I work at a pharmacy, and trust me... those things are expensive!

In Sweden, you can pay a maximum of 1800 crowns a year for medication, everything after that is free (1 pound=10 crowns), and there's discounts along the way up to that sum

A woman came in today and got pills that in reality costs over 4000 pounds and she only paid about a pound for it
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Page 1 of 2