Hi, I am in the market for a new amp, and a Vox 15 watt tube sounds good for my budget. However, it doesn't have an FX loop, which I heard is important but I am skeptical of whether or not I really need one. I am never really going to use this amp for distortion, except maybe for a little bit of overdrive breakup. I am really only going to use pedals for distortion, so do I need an FX loop? If so, then I'll look at the Egnater 15 watt tweaker head, but then I'll have the bigger problem of finding a good not expensive cab...
We got by without them for decades, now everybody says you can't live without them. I wonder what we were doing for all those years.
Distortion/overdrive pedals go in front of the amp anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
decent small cabs can be found cheap.

if you are just using a dirt pedal, you don't really need a loop as cathbard stated.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Cathbard
Distortion/overdrive pedals go in front of the amp anyway.

Yep.
Usually people only put modulation effects in the FX loop.

Personally, i just use my Chorus pedal in the FX loop.
Tuner, overdrive and distortion pedals go in front of my amp.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
if you are using pedals for the od then you should be fine without a loop.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
If you plan on having any reverb or delay using a overdriven sound from the guitars preamp/ pedals then an FX loop is a must or the delay and reverb will also be distorted along with the guitar. That is unless you run dist -> delay ->verb -> amp.
but then it wont sound as nice as dist ->amp ->delay ->verb
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
i run guitar>tuner>od>reverb>amp without any issue.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Holykatzbob
Hi, I am in the market for a new amp, and a Vox 15 watt tube sounds good for my budget. However, it doesn't have an FX loop, which I heard is important but I am skeptical of whether or not I really need one. I am never really going to use this amp for distortion, except maybe for a little bit of overdrive breakup. I am really only going to use pedals for distortion, so do I need an FX loop? If so, then I'll look at the Egnater 15 watt tweaker head, but then I'll have the bigger problem of finding a good not expensive cab...

No, you don't.

The FX loop only really becomes important when you are modulating effects like delay and phase-shifting. The FX loop allows you to place the effects after the preamp, which you don't want to do with distortion anyways.

Any effects you have between the guitar and the amp will affect the direct guitar signal only. Effects in the FX loop alter the signal that ultimately gets amplified.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by gregs1020
i run guitar>tuner>od>reverb>amp without any issue.

+1
I run a GP-8 > Quadraverb > amp and it works great. No effects loop on my gigging amp and I've never found a need to add one. I've run it that way for 20 years or more and it sounds awesome. People rabbit on too much about effects loops being "necessary" these days. They can be useful but they certainly aren't necessary.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification