Hi guys, I've got a problem with strings since some time, namely my thickest 'E' and 'A' strings are constantly breaking from 'inside', I mean they're stretching like this:

Right now I'm tunning to Eb and play a lot of Slayer (gallops, tremolo picking). My guitar is some kinda Washburn from 80s, movable (non-tremolo) bridge.

Do you have any idea about the cause of them breaking?
Are they breaking around the bridge or the nut like that? If so then the parts the strings are resting on are quite sharp, and you may wish to consider getting them smoothed out or adjusted somehow in order to prevent that happening.
Try different stings!
I use GHS stings on electric and they are long lasting.

Also, clean them regularry! And check the nut and saddles!
Where are your strings breaking at exactly? At the bridge, nut, tuning post, etc
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Just behind the bridge on the way to pickups. I used to have Ernie Ball 10-52 strings but 2 of them broke so I swapped'em to other kind of producers but the same happened
Ernie Balls break they're cheap for a reason. They sound great when they are new, but if you practice more than 10hrs a week, they will not last.

GHSs are a great inexpensive option. They are my fav bass strings too. They stay brighter, longer and cost less than pro strings.

If you're feeling frisky, try some Clear Tones. They seriously last 40-50 hours of intesne playing and can be retuned with little stress. However, they are expensive; $12-16/set. You really don't need this quality of string, but to try them just once, you'll see and feel the difference. Then, you'll know what you're dealing with when it comes to string varieties.

Also consider:

Hybrid Slinkys - with thicker low strings

Custom mixes - based on the advice you recieve here, put togethere a set based on your needs.

You shouldn't have to change your pick, your picking or your attack. Somewhere, there is a string combonation that will work for what you are doing.
I think you’re just playing so much that you wear them out. Try using GHS Boomers, they’re made to take abuse. Also try using Dunlop Speed Picks so that you aren’t cutting into the strings at an angle with the pick.
Quote by martinez_90
Just behind the bridge on the way to pickups. I used to have Ernie Ball 10-52 strings but 2 of them broke so I swapped'em to other kind of producers but the same happened

i kinda think its funny people are still suggesting different strings thinking that it's the Ernie Ball strings fault.

TS, you may have a sharp spot in your bridge saddles, so thats why strings are breaking there. i would smooth it out gently with a nail file or something like that and then string up again.

oh, and Ernie Ball strings last forever for me. i only broke 2 strings in the past 2 years using Ernie Ball
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I'll try to smooth the bridge out a bit coz it's covered with a little amount of rust and dirt and try different strings. Thanks for your suggestions.

Oh, one another thing - they usually break when I pick them in a gallop or tremolo motion, maybe I do it too hard? Does it matters?

P.S. This scar on my forearm was made by an accident with a very hot baking dish :P
Quote by martinez_90
Oh, one another thing - they usually break when I pick them in a gallop or tremolo motion, maybe I do it too hard? Does it matters?

I've yet to witness a player with some much attack that the mere force would be the reason for short string life. Unless you whack 'em like hulk I don't think that is the MAIN reason. You shouldn't compensate on your playing style unless it's completely off the wall.

However, had you less attack I'm sure less strings would break. But that's not the real cause.
You're not gonna break the bass strings from picking too hard, that's practically impossible. This is steel we're talking about, not flimsy plastic.

If your strings are breaking at the bridge it is one of three things causing the problem.

1. Is it a Floyd Rose style bridge? If you're cutting the ball ends to insert them into the saddles to lock them in place you could be not tightening the lock enough. That would cause the core wire to not be held in place very well and making it slip out and splinter the wraps like that.

2. There is a bur on the saddle where the string sits. Rub your finger through the saddle and see if it catches or picks up on anything. Even a slight bur would cause a break like that due to the force between the string and the saddle. Think of it like pushing a knife through bread, without applying force to the blade it doesn't cut. But when you do it goes through no problem.

3. When you install the strings you could be crimping the core wire on accident causing a stress line or a crack in the wire. This would break over time from changing tunings and bends but not immediately.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by HalfDose
Also, how'd you get that scar on your forearm??

just a cigar burn..

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
Quote by HalfDose
Ernie Balls break they're cheap for a reason. They sound great when they are new, but if you practice more than 10hrs a week, they will not last.

GHSs are a great inexpensive option. They are my fav bass strings too. They stay brighter, longer and cost less than pro strings.

If you're feeling frisky, try some Clear Tones. They seriously last 40-50 hours of intesne playing and can be retuned with little stress. However, they are expensive; $12-16/set. You really don't need this quality of string, but to try them just once, you'll see and feel the difference. Then, you'll know what you're dealing with when it comes to string varieties.

Also consider:

Hybrid Slinkys - with thicker low strings

Custom mixes - based on the advice you recieve here, put togethere a set based on your needs.

BLECH!!

Cleartones are the least inspiring strings I've ever used (bar ernie ball of course, those are just crap).

If they're always breaking at the same place by the bridge, there could be a little bur that's damaging them. Go in with a magnifying glass and look for any imperfections that could be filed down. Often there are little bits of metal that wear on the strings. If you don't feel comfortable, get a tech to do it.
You shouldn't have to change your pick, your picking or your attack. Somewhere, there is a string combonation that will work for what you are doing.

D'Addario strings happen to be decent for a reasonable price. I still feel the Elixirs are the best option (Nanoweb, not Polyweb), and DR strings are quite nice as well, just not the black beauties.

Edit: I got ninja'd on the bur suggestion. What he said ^^
Gonna have to agree with the majority on this. There is definitly something wrong with your bridge that's causing your strings to break. Have a pro take a look at it if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. Any filing you do to yoyr saddles can affect intonation.. Also, I don't know what kind of pics you are using (I'm assuming standard plastic) but there are such things as steel and ceramic pics out there and they are deadly on your strings!

PS I've been using Ernie Ball RPS Super Slinkys (9's, 10's, or 11's) for 3 years now and haven't broken a single one in that time. It still remains a question of personal preference so there's no need to trash one brand over another.
I use standard plastic picks, usually 1mm. I'll try tomorrow to look through the bridge carefully and find a bur or sth else which may cause breaks. Thanks.
@enselmis - Clear Tones don't like you either... says so on the inside of every pack.

So, for a high quality, pricey string, do you prefer Elixirs??

@martinez_90 - have you looked at the bridge issue to see if you have a sharp or scratchy part affecting your strings??
I also agree that something is wrong with your bridge. What kind of a bridge are you using? I used D'Addario's only, pretty much for the last 2-3 years and have never broken a string. And I play pretty hard too.

If you have a Floyd, like someone said above, make sure that you are tightening everything down. When I first started restring my Floyd, all I had was a standard measurement Allen wrench, not a metric. So, it would not tighten it down and it would fly out at the bridge.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by Rautio
I've yet to witness a player with some much attack that the mere force would be the reason for short string life. Unless you whack 'em like hulk I don't think that is the MAIN reason. You shouldn't compensate on your playing style unless it's completely off the wall.

However, had you less attack I'm sure less strings would break. But that's not the real cause.

Eric Clapton was known for exactly that back in the day .
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Duke_Jr
Gonna have to agree with the majority on this. There is definitly something wrong with your bridge that's causing your strings to break. Have a pro take a look at it if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. Any filing you do to yoyr saddles can affect intonation.. Also, I don't know what kind of pics you are using (I'm assuming standard plastic) but there are such things as steel and ceramic pics out there and they are deadly on your strings!

PS I've been using Ernie Ball RPS Super Slinkys (9's, 10's, or 11's) for 3 years now and haven't broken a single one in that time. It still remains a question of personal preference so there's no need to trash one brand over another.

finally these forums are graced with someone who ISNT either arrogant, ignorant or 14.
Quote by HalfDose
@enselmis - Clear Tones don't like you either... says so on the inside of every pack.

So, for a high quality, pricey string, do you prefer Elixirs??

They started it.

And yes, I do prefer Elixirs. Bright, clear and big. They seem to have a little extra tension as well which is nice.
Quote by the bartender
Eric Clapton was known for exactly that back in the day .

From his autobiography: "On my guitar I used light-gauge guitar strings, with a very thin first string, which made it easier to bend the notes, and it was not uncommon during the most frenetic bits of playing for me to break at least one string. During the pause while I was changing my string, the frenzied audience would often break into a slow handclap, inspiring Giorgio to dream up the nickname of 'Slowhand' Clapton."

He broke strings because he bended them so much, not because he hit them so hard.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I've written already that I have a non-tremolo bridge, so it isn't Floyd Rose. It looks like that:

I'd like to add that today I've done clear things with the bridge like you said but I'm wondering on one thing - I used to attach the bridge not straight sheer to the strings but rather askew (about 30 degrees to the strings). Does it matter, I mean in tension which may cause the breaking of the strings?
If it is the same strings over and over it is not the string. Look at the bridge. Are there burs on the groves in the saddles?Are you just flat out beating the shit out of them ruthlessly? Does the string rub on the body of the bridge. I find the udder bullshit(cow pun intended) to be slightly amusing. Boomers made to take abuse? EB strings low quality? Ya right and the moon is made out of green cheese. It is!! no really it is. I read it on the internut so it is true.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
trade that for ToM saddles, they should fit in that washburn c: Try roller ones.

Other than that, i've been using ernie ball for like mmm, a year now, and they all seem to brake after a week or two of times playing. At least they sound great when they are new hehehe. Try GHS boomers as said here before, maybe go up a gauge and buy in bulk (like me! yay! you never have enough strings around your house hehehe).

If it's your way of playing the one doing this, then the only way to notice would be for you to switch your style for some days and just keep playing and check if it's that or not. But i really DOUBT it is that... Trust me, i have a friend who plays 10-12 hours a day from metal to beyond! He's right now into he's thrash metal phase hehe, and i dunno of him breaking that many strings.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
I've just bought and put in Rotosound 10-56 strings and will see if the brake or not. The bridge has been also cleared from all the dirt, rust and burs.