This is more of a "someone please reply and tell me I'm not retarded" post than a "help" post, but anyway. I always hear those crazy harmonics in songs, particularly in stuff where Zakk Wylde is playing, where they're natural harmonics and it's similar to a pick slide. But instead of scraping your pick down the strings, you slide your finger down the strings, gently, starting at the bridge pickup or so to get harmonics out the whole way. I never knew how to do this technique, so I looked on youtube and this guy would just hammer on and pull off on the string he was using around the 3rd fret or so to get the string to vibrate. Then he'd lightly touch his finger to the top of the string by the pickups and harmonics all over the place. Easy. So I figured I'd give it a shot. Very minimal harmonic response for me. I can hear them, just not as many and they are EXTREMELY quiet. I had a pretty fair amount of gain going and the pickup is a Seymour Duncan JB, which as far as I know is a fairly hot pickup.

So, I concluded that active pickups are, in most cases, needed to pull this little trick off... or a super hot passive pickup. Anyway, I'm just looking for some confirmation that my assumption is correct, or if it's not, what the heck I'm doing wrong lol.

Thanks in advance
Zakk Wylde ONLY does PINCH harmonics. You pick, and then, in the same motion, gently touch the string with your thumb. Practice that.
Quote by Dream Floyd
Zakk Wylde ONLY does PINCH harmonics. You pick, and then, in the same motion, gently touch the string with your thumb. Practice that.

Yea well, you can do it with other fingers too if you want to. But thumb is definitely the easiest and most used. I find it easiest too to use the thumb for a pinch harmonic. And TS, yea it can be your pickup too,because i've got some epiphone alcino's and the harmonics miss punch quite a lot compared to actives. But JB should handle them better than some epi stock pickups.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Dream Floyd

Yes, I can execute pinch harmonics at will lol. But I'm not referring to pinch harmonics at all. These are NATURAL harmonics. The same kind you would get by lightly touching above the 7th fret on any string and picking. But these are all over above the pickups instead, and are achieved without picking, but rather with hammer ons and pull offs (just to get the string vibrating). That's what I'm interested in.
I'll see if I can find a link to the youtube video fast and show what I'm talking about. That should help
Pinch harmonic, without pinching?
Like, using the hammer-on as a picking alternative, and resting the finger to grab the harmonics down there?
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Quote by Dream Floyd

your problem is probably in your finger strength. if you build it up using trill excersises then you should be able to do it fine.

EDIT: index and middle finger no 5 and 6 fret hammering on and off for 1 minute
index and ring finger 5 and 7
index and pinky 5 and 8
middle and ring 6 and 7
middle and pinky 6 and 8
ring and pinky 7 and 8
just do this for the necessary fingers
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Last edited by blankoff at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by richyt93
Pinch harmonic, without pinching?
Like, using the hammer-on as a picking alternative, and resting the finger to grab the harmonics down there?

Yes.. that's exactly it lol. Thanks for simplifying it for me
Alright I'm doing everything right then... so that leaves 2 options.

1 - It's my finger strength... it's lacking. (quite probable I guess)

2 - The pickups just don't amplify the harmonics like an active would...??
Without looking at the youtube vid(sorry, I'm at work :P), I'm guessing you're talking about that harmonic trick that Eddie Van Halen uses... I THINK it's called auto flange.

I'd say, doing the typical 4p2p0 4p2p0 or 5p3p0 5p3p0 trills on the G string is the best exercise to work with. Instead of just using the finger, LIGHTLY run the part of your picking hand that you'd use to palm mute across the strings. Lots and lots of gain helps, of course.

Hope this helps a bit.

EDIT: Just read your post above. Yes, finger strength will help a TON with this, and I don't think it's your pickups. I can do this with passive dimarzios, I think you're okay there.
Last edited by HarvesterofPain at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by HarvesterofPain
Without looking at the youtube vid(sorry, I'm at work :P), I'm guessing you're talking about that harmonic trick that Eddie Van Halen uses... I THINK it's called auto flange.

I'd say, doing the typical 4p2p0 4p2p0 or 5p3p0 5p3p0 trills on the G string is the best exercise to work with. Instead of just using the finger, LIGHTLY run the part of your picking hand that you'd use to palm mute across the strings. Lots and lots of gain helps, of course.

Hope this helps a bit.

EDIT: Just read your post above. Yes, finger strength will help a TON with this, and I don't think it's your pickups. I can do this with passive dimarzios, I think you're okay there.

Yeah that should produce the same result with the harmonics, I would think, so I think you're thinking of the same thing. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.
Try it with a bit more gain? I think those sound off more easily if you've got the gain higher up and the technique down.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
Quote by wolverine1190
Yeah that should produce the same result with the harmonics, I would think, so I think you're thinking of the same thing. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.

Sounds good, and not sure if you've already tried this(or even have a wah to do it), but kick the wah on to full treble and your auto flange should really scream.