I have a Mexican Strat and i only get fret buzz on the 5th string. I changed strings from fender bullets (00.9 - 0.42) to D'addarios (.010-.046). I've never had anything like this before so bare with me.

Any suggestions to what I should do?
Quote by slipknot_4ever
I have a Mexican Strat and i only get fret buzz on the 5th string. I changed strings from fender bullets (00.9 - 0.42) to D'addarios (.010-.046). I've never had anything like this before so bare with me.

Any suggestions to what I should do?

It shouldn't be a "Relief" issue, as you have probably gained some relief with the heavier strings. But, it could be.

Does it buzz if you fret it at the first?

It might be that the string isn't sitting in the nut correctly and is buzzing, in which case, use the string to "file" the nut slot in a touch...but do some reading on nut slots first.

It is probably worth reading up on setups, and checking yours over.

With regards to neck relief. It may not have added too much extra strain on the neck, but if the action is low and or, you had little relief, then the thicker 5th could be hitting the frets somewhere, probably around 6-9th.

You could also have a fret that has lifted slightly. Check the frets along the bass side, you should not be able to get a fingernail under any of them.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!