I am wanting to make a custom design on my fretboard, so what would i have to do? If i can't detach the fretboard i was thinking about just taking the strings out since i have to change them anyways. And what do you think I would use for the design? Paint is okay, right? Oh and my fretboard is ebony color, and I was thinking about designing it with plenty of different colors.

Thanks for any advice.
Is your neck a bolt-on? You should take advantage of that and take the neck out before you do anything to it.

Also, you probably shouldn't use paint.

I don't have any better advice, sorry.
Last edited by TMF128 at Sep 1, 2010,
What the...
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
Paint will just peel off when you press the strings?
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
i guess i didn't think of that sorry. Then what would I use? hmmm...different colored tape? lol i guess it would work...

And i don't know if my guitar is a bolt on or not. It is an epiphone and it doesn't look like the Fretboard could come off now that i think about it.
im not sure what you could use...usually any decorations are inprinted with plastic or something similar
Wrong forum. Try the Guitar Building and Customizing forum on this site.
Can you remove the fretboard? Yes, it's possible unless it the fretboard is made from the neck, like some maple ones.

Is it doable or advisible? No, unless you know what you are doing (read: you can build / repair guitars yourself). And even then, it's not something you'd do for the heck of it because there are so many ways it can go wrong or you screw it up.

And no, painting the fretboard doesnt work annyhow. It'll flake of, get in your strings and very possibly damage the wood of the fretboard. It's possible to dye the fretboard however, but even that is not recomended because it wont look that great and will discolour. And it'll leave you with messy fingers everytime you play.

If you are unhappy with the look of your fretboard or neck, either take it to a pro, or if it's a bolt-on you can buy a replacement neck or order a custom one, buy a new guitar or just be happy with the one you have.

Seriously though, what is up with these kind of customising ideas you see so often? I once knew a guy who'd went and planned to give his base a custom paintjob. So he bought a bucket of latex wall paint.. well.. at least the instrument has a intresting texture to say the least.

EDIT: I forgot to say, fretboards are usually *glued* to the neck. It's a bitch to remove, and a bitch to get it attached again. Without the proper tools, presses, glue, expertise etc, you'll just end up with an expensive paperweight.
Last edited by ShadesOfGray at Sep 2, 2010,
thanks for some reason my brain was dead yesterday but i was trying to say can you take the neck off, which I can i guess. lol at least i learned more though. and i found out what i was going to do.

http://stores.ebay.com/creativecuts

^just decals to put on your fretboard. I want the cross or barbed wire ;D
and I am going to paint my guitar hopefully a Sunburst color. Les Paul Sunburst
Quote by kyle12271
thanks for some reason my brain was dead yesterday but i was trying to say can you take the neck off, which I can i guess. lol at least i learned more though. and i found out what i was going to do.

http://stores.ebay.com/creativecuts

^just decals to put on your fretboard. I want the cross or barbed wire ;D
and I am going to paint my guitar hopefully a Sunburst color. Les Paul Sunburst

I see. Taking the neck off certainly isnt as big a deal as removing the fretboard. It's still possible to not attach the neck 'right' a few milimeters when you're screwing the neck back on, but it's nothing permanent as long as you keep that in mind and watch for it.

Concerning decals, it depends on the quality of the decal, how good your preparations and attachment is and how intense you play or even such arcane things as the chemistry of your sweat and skin grease, it's quite hit or miss wheter or not they stay permenantely and for how long.

As far as refinishing the guitar.. I can speak from experience here.. you need to keep in mind that it's not quite as easy as just getting some paint and putting it on. Not even as easy as getting the *right* kind of paint on putting it on.
A proffesional refinishing means you sand down or strip the finish with either heat or chemicals down to the wood, which is time consuming and quite a hassle.
You can also get by with just sanding & cleaning the existing clearcoat and apply new colour & clear over that, but wheter or not it will give good results is up to the paint you use, how compatible it is with the underlying coat and just random luck.

When you're not a pro with proffesional spray equipment and spray chamber, your options will be pretty much down to using rattle cans based on acrylic (like car sprays) or
nitro based. A pro might use stuff like poly, but that stuff is dangerous, even considering the other options are pretty toxic too.
And that is not even getting into the hassle of finding groundcoat, colourcoat and clearcoat that are compatible. But your milage may vary, depending on how easy it is to come by in your area and your budget.

Then you'll find that it takes weeks to do the spraying because you can only do a little bit every day, weeks for the coats to harden and cure, and about a weekend of hard work polishing / buffing the finish. You'll also be very anoyed to find that in those weeks of spraying, lack of experience or even something as stupid as a few specks of dust will ruin that perfect finish.

Take it from me.. if you really want to have a guitar with a different look, just buy a new one or find a 2nd hand body that you like the looks of it. You'll find that refinishing it yourself will be as expensive if not more than just buying it new or 2nd hand.

On the other hand, if you really like the idea of working on your own guitar I suggest you try one of those 'finish it yourself' guitar kits they sell for about 100 bucks or so.. they're a bit hit or miss as far as quality goes, and you probably want to replace the pickups, but it's much better than turning a decent guitar into expensive firewood and saffes you ages of work on getting the finish *off* it.