im looking at two different metal guitars with different pups. One has EMG active 81-TW/89 and the other has Seymor Duncan Custom Custom (SH/11)/'59(SH-1n). Which are better quality and would sound better for metal?
Always Rock!
The 81TW/89, more likely.

The Custom Custom is kinda like a high output Alnico II pro, a little bit stronger bass too. The '59 is a PAF copy, which does everything well, basically. Um, what amp do you have?

Pickups are replaceable down the road, so if you like the guitar with the SH-11/SH-1n better get that one and swap the pickups for some more "metal suited" pickups later.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
We need more info

What are the guitars? What amp are you using? Any effects?
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

get the ones with seymours. EMGs and modelling amps don't really go well together. EMGs sound best with tube amps because they really cook the tubes in them to get more saturated gain. But the VyPyR Has nO t00Bz.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
the guitars are a hellraiser avenger and tempest custom
Always Rock!
pickups do not have as much of an effect on ss/digital amps as they do on tube amps. in reality there wont be a big difference between the two pickups in the case of a ss vypyr. even though the EMG's are typically better for metal the custom custom is actually a nice pickup and can do metal fine. in this case I would say go for whatever guitar you like the feel of better and not worry so much about the pickups.
thanks for the advice. I kinda like the feel of the longer guitar (avenger). It also looks cooler.
Always Rock!
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
pickups do not have as much of an effect on ss/digital amps as they do on tube amps. in reality there wont be a big difference between the two pickups in the case of a ss vypyr. even though the EMG's are typically better for metal the custom custom is actually a nice pickup and can do metal fine. in this case I would say go for whatever guitar you like the feel of better and not worry so much about the pickups.

That's bullshit and you know it.

They have just as much of an effect on SS amps as they do on tube amps.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
so would that mean if i get an avenger with the EMGs, it'll sound like crap?
Always Rock!
The EMGs will be much better for metal. It depends on your tuning too. If you are dropping 3 steps or something, the duncans will mud out, the EMGs will stay super tight and clear. No problem with the SS amps and actives. In my experience, EMG's sound massive through my SS Line 6. Better than passives do. If you do want passives, get something like a X2N or SD Invader.
kinda new to pup talk so what is the difference between passives and actives? I like to say i play lead if that makes a differance.
Always Rock!
Last edited by s12k17 at Sep 1, 2010,
A passive pickup simply picks up the sound vibration of the strings, and feeds it to the amp. An active does all this, but has a preamp bulit in, which overdrives (clips) the amp's tubes to add more gain.
Quote by oneblackened
That's bullshit and you know it.

They have just as much of an effect on SS amps as they do on tube amps.

This. I don't know where people get the idea that modelling amps ignore pickups.

Tone is subjective, but EMGs always sound bad to me, so I'd recommend the Seymour Duncan guitar. That said, go with whichever one you like the feel of better, as a pickup swap can always be done later. Just remember that if you go active to passive or vice versa, you'll need to change wiring.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
What's the issue with your current guitar? Feel or tone?

I'd say go for the passive pickups just to stay versatile also if you plan on sticking with your current amp.

If you plan on upgrading your amp to something like a 6505 combo and you want more high gain metal tones than anything then you could look into the EMGs.
i really dont care about being versitile though. I only play metal. Thats why i thought that i'd be better off with the actives.... but now i seem torn between the two............
Always Rock!
Quote by s12k17
i really dont care about being versitile though. I only play metal. Thats why i thought that i'd be better off with the actives.... but now i seem torn between the two............

Actives don't necessarily mean good for metal. They were designed for jazz, after all. They're primarily marketed towards metal, but there are passives with higher output, so it's really all about which sounds best.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
ok thanks for your help its finaly nice to get some info on the differences. Makes shopping much easier
Always Rock!
Active EMG pups are very heavily associated with Metal these days and if you look at the number of new Metal guitars being offered with active EMG's you'd think it was the only choice for Metal. Personally they're not for me but it's all subjective. When I was looking to change my guitar I was put off the PRS Torero and new Jackson Soloist models precisely because they had EMG pups. Like others have mentioned, I find them a bit sterile sounding and they sound very similar regardless of the guitar they're in whereas I'd rather the pickups helped to reflect the tonal characteristics of an individual guitar.

You don't really need massively powered pups to play Metal as the vast majority of that 'Metal' distortion is coming from the amp anyway. The last few sets of pickups I've used have been these:

DiMarzio Super Distortion with two Fender single coils - Awesome sounding guitar that played Metal really well.

Bare Knuckle 'Cold Sweat' set - contemporary pickups but not massively powered yet did Metal very well indeed.

Seymour Duncan 'JB' humbucker with two Hot Rails - Again, does Metal perfectly well.

When I eventually change the pickups I have, will I go active? Absolutely not; it will be a Bare Knuckle 'Miracle Man' with two Trilogy Suites. Within reason, let the amp worry about doing 'Metal' and let your pickups give you tone. Get whichever guitar feels best to you and change the pickups later if you really want to. I also wouldn't ignore versatility in a guitar. Just because you only play Metal now doesn't mean that will always be the case.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Sep 2, 2010,