Could you guys suggest some songs which would help my sweeping, ap and basically get me used to playing fast consistently? Nothing blazingly fast, maybe something around 80-100bpm that uses these techniques?

I dont listen to a lot of metal, but I'm open to anything that works.

As for my skill level, I've been playing for about two years, and know a fair amount of theory. I usually stick to the blues and can improvise, but can't do anything with the above mentioned techniques. I have been practicing sweeping and can do the major/minor/diminished thing. I'm just looking for a track where I can put it all together.

If it helps at all to gauge my playing ability, there are mp3's in my profile, and most (if not all) are instrumentals on which I've improvised.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Quote by BKMC
Damn Ninja'd

Is that a band or a song?
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

practice, i know that sound cliche but after 2 years of playing i figure you must know that there really aren't any shortcuts. your double picking skills are a good place to start. to be truely fast you need to be able to pick cleanly and keep a steady pace.

i'll also mention this, not everyone is cut out to be a shredder. i tried for years and while i can burn a lick when i need to (see songs in profile) i just can't play a whole songs worth of nothing but blazing licks. your songs so far don't realy show any blazing licks but i thought what you did was pretty good in the styles you used.
The solo in Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth is a good start for shred.

Also check out the Speed Kills DVD's. Michael Angelo Batio's lessons are quite helpful.

Quote by monwobobbo

i'll also mention this, not everyone is cut out to be a shredder. i tried for years and while i can burn a lick when i need to (see songs in profile) i just can't play a whole songs worth of nothing but blazing licks. your songs so far don't realy show any blazing licks but i thought what you did was pretty good in the styles you used.

This guy is wrong.

Anyone can be a shredder if they are willing to practice, you don't have to be "cut out" to be one.
Last edited by TMF128 at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by TMF128
The solo in Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth is a good start for shred.

Also check out the Speed Kills DVD's. Michael Angelo Batio's lessons are quite helpful.

This guy is wrong.

Anyone can be a shredder if they are willing to practice, you don't have to be "cut out" to be one.

no offense dude but i've been playing twice as long as you have been alive so just maybe i know a thing or two.

fact of the matter is that not everyone has the dexterity to be a shredder. just learning to play fast is easy, being able to make a great musical statement at highspeeds isn't. i'm in no way saying he (or anyone else) can't do it or shouldn't try as it's always worth a try. my point is that his voice on the guitar may be somehting different. i say this from experience and know many players that end up being discourged when they find out that they aren't the next yngwie etc. i don't care how much you practice there are just going to be some things you might not be great at when playing any musical instrument. the trick is to find out what you are good at and working on those to become the best player you can. exploring all avenues is the thing to do getting dicouraged because some of them mihgt be dead ends for you isn't.
^+10439234

My guitar teacher's a great example of that - He's been playing for 30+ years and has played pretty much everything. However, he's not just not made for shredding and doing sweep picking/legato licks at 180bpm.

The lead guitarist in his old band that also teaches, however, is a shred master and can play pretty much anything you want.

Musical interests and determination may make you play faster, but that doesn't equal musicality or something that sounds good.
Try Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci. Take it slowly and learn it in sections, as it is a long f%cking piece. The main riff will definitely get your sweep picking going.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I would start listening to the music first, because shredding to just shred is bullshit. Appreciate it, and learn to love it and then, learn to play it. I would personally start with a bit of Warren DeMartini, not too fast, not too slow either, but still has that bluesy feel that you are familiar with.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
^ I know what you're talking about. Its also why Im asking for suggestions. I can do nonsense sweeps, trills and arpeggios, its just that while I'm improvising, it very rarely comes naturally. Whatever techniques I practice a million times over or am relatively comfortable with is what comes out during improv (and even then its only like 60% of what you're capable of). I'll check out some megadeath, though the only track that ive heard of their so far is tornado of souls. I think I could pull that one off but its just a little out of my reach atm.

Quote by monwobobbo
practice, i know that sound cliche but after 2 years of playing i figure you must know that there really aren't any shortcuts. your double picking skills are a good place to start. to be truely fast you need to be able to pick cleanly and keep a steady pace.

Thank you for checking out my stuff. You're right about the practice, I've been at it for a couple of months now to get my sweeps and picking up to scratch, I just figured I need someplace to put them all together.

Ironically enough, I thought I'd start with some metal to get familiar with odd time changes and the lead techniques involved so that I could graduate to Jazz smoothly.
Quote by jpnyc

There is only one way. Buy a metronome and practice.Period there is no magic bullet. If you can not find an example of a song that interests you your self,why do you want to be a note spewing machine?? It is music not a drag race.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Sequoia Throne

Alternate picking/Scale runs, legato, tapping, sweeping The lot
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by Bhaok
There is only one way. Buy a metronome and practice.Period there is no magic bullet. If you can not find an example of a song that interests you your self,why do you want to be a note spewing machine?? It is music not a drag race.

I have been practicing with a metronome. Read the posts maybe? As to why I want to be a 'note spewing machine', dude, you gotta know whats possible if you want to do something with it. It pays to be able to play fast and not have to use it but sucks to want to do something that you can hear in your head but just cant get out on the guitar.

And have you ever played an arpeggio slowly? Done a sweep with a rhythmic variation, not just in straight notes? If you cant do that stuff, you're missing out on a whole vocabulary of sounds that you need in your repertoire if you want to express yourself. Its not about mindless shit. Its about being able to communicate whats in your head to the person unfortunate or kind enough to listen to you. You want to subjugate them to half assed ideas and poorly framed phrases? Whatever man.

To the guy who posted the scorpion song, it's brilliant. Thank you for that.
Quote by jpnyc

Last edited by hitman_47 at Sep 2, 2010,