I think you can guess what I'm looking for from the title. Right now I'm using an 8x12 stack with a crappy crate head and a decent Kustom 200 watt head. I don't know why I'm still using the Crate- it's terrible. The Kustom is decent- I don't usually turn it up past 1/4 volume, and I play a soundproofed basement. It sounds awesome at low volumes- problem is, the clean starts to sound like crap when I turn it up. What I'm looking to get is a guitar head with enough kick to play any stadium, but will stay clean when cranked to 11. Don't worry about distortion channels- I use a multi-effects pedal. Price range is- let's say, keep it under $700. SS is preferable.
basically just find an amp with the tone you want and stick a mic and PA system up...

you can play a stadium with a 15 watt amp....

also, tube amps distort at higher volumes (overdrive).... so maybe look at a SS?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
basically just find an amp with the tone you want and stick a mic and PA system up...

you can play a stadium with a 15 watt amp....

also, tube amps distort at higher volumes (overdrive).... so maybe look at a SS?

^True
So...no one has recommended the Fender Twin Reverb reissue?

I played one. I felt like Mr. Clean. Complete with bald head, big muscles and arbitrary earring.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Sep 1, 2010,
I've seen them go for slightly over 700 used for the deluxe and slightly over 800 for the twin but if he prefers SS...for some reason...then hmm. I dunno.

The Roland JC has always sounded like it was trying too hard to be the stereotypical "Jazz" sound. And it's really flat sounding.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Why not just run your cleans through a clean boost pedal
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by adj209
Why not just run your cleans through a clean boost pedal

You obviously don't know what they do...

TS - Roland JC for SS, any high wattage silverface Fender for tube.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The only one here that really caught my attention was the JC. I've played through them- Like them, don't love them. Do they make a head version of them? I'd like to use the 8x12 I've invested so much time and money into.
Quote by Ayses
So...no one has recommended the Fender Twin Reverb reissue?

I played one. I felt like Mr. Clean. Complete with bald head, big muscles and arbitrary earring.

+1 Most fender tube amps will give you some sick cleans.

So OP does it have to be a head? Most fender heads are kinda expensive, but every Fender tube combo ive played on has amazing cleans. My Deville 2x12 is a good example.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote:

So OP does it have to be a head? Most fender heads are kinda expensive, but every Fender tube combo ive played on has amazing cleans. My Deville 2x12 is a good example.

I've used an FM212R, which is a combo. Good amp, but just a little lame sounding. Like I said, I've got a full stack set up, and I'd like to use that. I didn't mention it's loaded up with V30's, E Legends, a Greenback and a Scorpion. So I'd definitely prefer a head.
Quote by WtrPlyr
^Good one, only he prefers SS and I've never seen a Twin under $700 around here. Don't know the prices in the US though.

i got my twin for 625 ;-)

great deal though

TS, there's a Roland Jazz Chorus head, if you can find it used, that'd be the cleanest head. There's also the Fender Bassman head
besides that, i dunno
Quote by taradogrules
Quote:

I've used an FM212R, which is a combo. Good amp, but just a little lame sounding. Like I said, I've got a full stack set up, and I'd like to use that. I didn't mention it's loaded up with V30's, E Legends, a Greenback and a Scorpion. So I'd definitely prefer a head.

Its a solid state thats why. Tube amps will give you that "full clean" sound you want. Thats a low end combo amp man. Im sure someone will have an issue with what I just said and im sure I could have worded it better, but im telling you right now....every fender tube amp iv played on has great cleans. Solid states arent going to give you the sound your looking for. From the reading iv done on this site iv come to understand that tube amps "color" the sound. When you talk about cleans the way your brain hears it, you want a tube amp. Iv never heard a solid state give me that full rounded/dynamic clean tone. Personally try out a bunch of amps, but there's nothing like the cleans on a Fender(tube) amp. Your just going to have to test some out. Only way to really know.

Quote by Darkflame
i got my twin for 625 ;-)

You'sa looking for any trades? If not and you don't sell it soon I may be interested. Iv got tons of guitars and not enough amps
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Sep 1, 2010,
marshall major
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

matchless
/thread....

but really those things are primo amps, just more expensive than you would dream
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
There are a couple of JC120 heads in here. Good prices. They look so br00tal too

also, see the pic about 20 posts in

http://instrument.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/music.cgi?cat=msg&fil=jazz+chorus&itm=roland&state=&ps=&pe=&ys=&ye=&submit=+GO+
Music Man HD130 or 150, Fender Bassman 100, Jazz Chorus head.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
if you prefer solid state, obviously the roland jazz chorus is the first option that springs to anyones mind because it's about the only good quality solid state amp anyone has heard of

depending on where you are in the world, as far as solid state amps go, at the moment you can get some really nice '70s solid states quite cheap and they often give excellent clean tones. I know that the Peavey Musician has great cleans (i'm pretty sure johnny marr from the smiths has used one of these from time to time) and i have a H||H which has a very good clean tone, except there's some weird problems i'm having with clipping in the treble frequencies at any volume, which i think is more to do with the age of the amp than anything (but i use it for its quirky overdrive anyway)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by taradogrules
Quote:

FM212R doesn't sound nearly as good as any of Fender's tube amps. The Jazz Chorus does come in a head but it's pretty hard to find and you don't really like it. I would say look at some stuff from the Ceriatone Overtone series. They're modeled after Dumble Overdrive amps and are very similar to the Dumble expired Two Rock amps which of course have excellent cleans. They are tube though so maybe they're not for you.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
nothing is really "best". its all preference really.

i think peavey ultra plus/xxx/jsx cleans. carvin x100d, ampeg vh140c. all should be easily found for $600, or a lot less. all would work fine imo for what you want to do.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
If you are looking for sterling clean tones from a solid-state setup, then you might be better off getting yourself a good preamp and a solid-state power amp. You'll be able to get endless headroom for a very small price, and there are some great preamps out there. As long as you stay away from the high-end tube preamps, you should have no trouble getting a great rig within your budget.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley