So I had a question for you guys. How do you get those awesome designs on your fretboards? I was thinking paint, but that would wear off when you use the guitar obviously. I was thinking about using some cool colors of tape but if you guys had any cooler suggestions I would buy that instead of the tape.

Thanks for any suggestions. and btw i have an Epiphone with an ebony fretboard
It's inlaying. First you rout(e?) the fingerboard with the style you want, so there's a groove in the fingerboard. Then you cut whatever you're inlaying to the same shape. Then put the inlay into the groove you've made, the two match up perfectly if done correctly and bam, there's your inlay.

However that is a MAJORLY simplified version. Here's detailed instructions on how to do it actually.
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/cinlay.htm
those designs are inlaid with shell. It's very expensive and takes a lot of time to get good at. You will mess up your 1st inlay or two so don't start by inlaying a guitar. Start by making an inlay into some wood. I'd inlay one colour of wood into another colour of wood that way practicing is cheep.

Tools you will need are
Dremmel tool
Dentist drill bit
Jewelers saw
Jewelers files
a couple C clamps
some exacto knives
Pencils with hard lead
A router stand for your dremel (optional but high recommended)
Super glue
Epoxy
Contact Cement
various Hard steel engraving tools
sandpaper
tracing paper
a block of wood with a V cut into it
a headlamp or adjustable light of some kind
magnifying glass (optional)
Vice Grips (optional but without them you are gonna make lots of errors)
Some sort of air filter to get rid of the very VERY toxic dust from the shells (a mask with air filters works but a normal dust mask doesn't)
Some sort of air pump or vacuum (vacuum is better) to remove the dust from your inlay while you cut.
a buttload of saw blades for your saw

I think thats about everything you need if you are using prefab inlay blanks. If you are processing your own shell then you need a belt sander, wet cutter, and wet grinder too. Once you have all this stuff you still need the shell, metal, or wood that you want to use for your inlay material. Their are tutorials online about basic inlay work but I can't be bothered to google them.
wow that's a lot of stuff. my original idea was to have like a but of different colors of tape and put it on the fretboard(like a rainbow but all different colors and all over the fretboard) and then in black have it spell INSOMNIA in a bit bigger tape written down the fretboard(in the black tape).

But maybe my dad could help me out since i don't have much of a clue as to what you are talking about lol.
Quote by kyle12271
wow that's a lot of stuff. my original idea was to have like a but of different colors of tape and put it on the fretboard(like a rainbow but all different colors and all over the fretboard) and then in black have it spell INSOMNIA in a bit bigger tape written down the fretboard(in the black tape).

But maybe my dad could help me out since i don't have much of a clue as to what you are talking about lol.

That is the dumbest thing i ever heard.
Go on eBay and find the user creative cuts he's US based and sells fretboard decals
You can buy fretboard inlays that are made out of vinyl on ebay. I haven't tried them, but sometime I would like to. They look to be real good in quality, and they are about $20 for all the inlays you need for a guitar.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Good luck with tape mate... It ain't gonna happen.

You're right though, inlaying is a complex and difficult thing to do so if you're not up to getting all that stuff Corduroy mentioned then I would just give up on the idea of inlaying your own fretboard.

Although maybe that vinyl stuff is worth a look. I've never tried it out though.
^ i found something easier
http://cgi.ebay.com/KK-SLAYER-TRIBAL-MOP-Guitar-Decal-Inlays-/110529524510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bc12b31e#ht_8617wt_852

http://stores.ebay.com/creativecuts
^that one is a list of all of them. they are just decals but it's better then nothing ya know. and then I am going to paint my guitar a different color. idk what color yet though. Maybe that dark wine color