Page 1 of 3
i read about bands such as Creed, Nicleback, etc get ragged on alot online. I am not a big fan of either of them so i wouldnt know what they do wrong haha.
2 questions!!

1. what did they do wrong?

2. if you heard a new song and liked it, but didnt like the artist, would you still listen to the song or would you hate it?

i hope that makes some sense
They're a popular band that everyone knows, which makes them easy for some people to hate. I'm not a fan of either band, but I like a couple of their songs. I find Nickelback to be rather boring, but "Photograph" is a pretty good song.
If I liked the song I would still listen to it. But I'm less inclined to actually listen to their lesser known songs since I don't like them.
Some people think Rock and Metal has to stay underground and tend to dislike when a band goes popular and have their videos shown on "normal" TV.

That is just Bullsh*t in my opinion, personally I like both bands you´ve named.
I don't like Nickelback because all of their songs sound similar to me and I don't like their singer.

Creed's got some cool tracks, though.

I'd peg the majority of the hatred down to bandwaggoning, though.
For me, Nickelback and 3 Doors Down and stuff have most of the time sooo easy crappy songs that it took them 2 minutes to make a 4 minute song and therefore I dislike them. Yes, I dislike Muse more because of their latest album and I`ll admit I like a Jonas Brother song for these reasons...
Nickelback

Quote by Stormx
        I tremble before your enormous penis.
        Quote by molala2
        and i farted, it was really stink
        Quote by italiarlz135
        Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
        Quote by josh999x, Brick23

Quote by SilkkTheShocker
        christian metalcore seems pointless to me

This is definitely relevant.

On topic, I have no problem liking famous bands, but I dislike Creed because they sound like Pearl Jam and Pearl Jam sucks, and I dislike Nickelback because I've just never heard any standout songs from them.
        Epiphone Dot
        DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
        Vox AC30VR 212
        Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
        Vox Tonelab LE
        Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
        By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
        Quote by MaXiMuse
        For me, Nickelback and 3 Doors Down and stuff have most of the time sooo easy crappy songs that it took them 2 minutes to make a 4 minute song and therefore I dislike them. Yes, I dislike Muse more because of their latest album and I`ll admit I like a Jonas Brother song for these reasons...

So you hate "All Along The Watchtower"? That's a 3 chord song. I wonder how long it took Bob Dylan to write...
        Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
        i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
        Quote by Led Pepplin
        Nickelback

This. They still have the same old boring sound. When an idea becomes cliche it loses meaning. but it's pretty subjective depending on how deeply a person gets into music. Nickelback has no emotion when I listen to them, but that doesn't mean that they don't actually put emotion into their music, nor that someone else couldn't find emotion in it. I don't care how easy or hard it is, though.

That's how I look at it.
              Last edited by Miniskirt at Sep 1, 2010,
              Quote by Tim the Rocker
              Some people think Rock and Metal has to stay underground and tend to dislike when a band goes popular and have their videos shown on "normal" TV.

That is just Bullsh*t in my opinion, personally I like both bands you´ve named.

care to name some metal examples?
              HESSIAN HAREM
              FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
              Quote by progbass
              care to name some metal examples?

List all the metal bands you know.

people hate them because you know of there existence.
              You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
              Both bands are just... plugghh!

Not really bad, but sort of like inserting a Twinkie wrapper in your mouth.
              "Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

^^ give a decent response or STFU

Quote by Deliriumbassist
              Didn't James Hetfield get his ass kicked by a fan after they did the video for One?

right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.
              HESSIAN HAREM
              FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
              Quote by progbass

right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

So siggable lol
              It's because most rock fans like rock because it makes them different and cooler than 'normal' people, when a when band becomes too popular they are no longer different for liking the band.

The Rock 'fan' then runs around naked screaming 'SELLOUTS, NICKLEBAKC ARE SELLOUTS, THEY AER HATIN THERE OLD FANS'
              I personally like Nickelback, especially their The Long Road album, never listened to any Creed so I can't really comment.
              Quote by Milesthedude
              If you're havin' room problems I feel bad for you son,
              I got 99 problems but a room ain't one.

Artist of the Month: Mic Righteous

Birmingham City FC

Carling Cup Winners 2011
              Nickelback's singer sounds like he's constipated while he sings, and the music is almost as generic as it gets, although there is one song by them I enjoy.

If I find the song truly enjoyable I don't care who its by, but most of their stuff is pretty bland.
              Quote by 20cdndollars
              You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
              Quote by SilkkTheShocker
              christian metalcore seems pointless to me

<.<
              >.>
              *Reach over to turn down my stereo blasting UnderOath*

Erm.. *cough* Yeah man that shit blows!
              I do listen to some Nickelback, but alot of his music sounds exactly the same to me, so pretty much if you listen to one song (with a few exceptions) you've heard them all.

I actually really like Creed though, and they're fun to play on guitar (extra bonus)
              "When that day comes I shall Futterwacken ... vigorously."
              ~ The Mad Hatter

1. what did they do wrong?

They became popular (which, according to really hardcore metalheads, is a bad thing.

2. if you heard a new song and liked it, but didnt like the artist, would you still listen to the song or would you hate it?

Yes. It's stupid to hate a band based on principle. It's like saying an actor makes bad movies just because he's popular.

The band is popular for a reason - a large amount of people like them.
              Quote by pielover375
              So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
              I like Nickelback because they're one of the few decent rock bands out there. They have their fair share of songs that I dislike like the ones that get overplayed on mainstream pop radio (like Photograph, Rockstar, Far Away, Gotta be Somebody), but then you hear a fistpumper like Burn It To The Ground or Animals and you forget all that stuff.

Still doesen't satisfy my needs to where rock needs to be. I can listen to 70s rock all day long, but after a while it gets rather depressing that there are no new bands like Zeppelin or AC/DC, or at least don't come across the same way. Most of these new bands have more bad songs than they do good ones.
              UG's AC/DC Lover
              i dont really listen to those bands. not because i dont like them but i just dont listen to them is all.

as for the hate, well *ahem* sorry
              E-married to BlessedRebel15
              Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
              Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
              Quote by CrunchyRoll
              I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
              I don't get 'all the songs sound the same'. Maybe you've heard a couple of similar tracks and, being lazy, assumed that the other songs sound like them too.

If anything, it's good to be easily identifiable just through your tracks. Hey, that's Nickelback, etc.

I think they're not a bad band, with some catchy stuff.
              signature
              The second a band has publicity they're instantly regarded as shit by the majority of the elitist rock/metal community. I don't personally like Creed or Nickelback, but if other people enjoy them I don't see the problem. It's just like the people who spend half their lives having a go at Justin Bieber etc.

Although, I have to admit, the singer for Nickelback does look exactly like a goat. There's no denying that.
              It's because people are stupid, paranoid, bandwagon junkies, etc.

Because I primarily listen to popular music, my favorite artists get bashed (for no real reason) all over this forum and not a god damn thing is done about it. If I sat around here talking shit about Radiohead, Dream Theater, and other stuff I don't like, I'd be warned/banned in a heartbeat.

It's kind of pathetic if you ask me.
              [quote="'-[NiL"]-']It's because people are stupid, paranoid, bandwagon junkies, etc.

Because I primarily listen to popular music, my favorite artists get bashed (for no real reason) all over this forum and not a god damn thing is done about it. If I sat around here talking shit about Radiohead, Dream Theater, and other stuff I don't like, I'd be warned/banned in a heartbeat.

What is? That you care?

It's pretty simple. And not really a case of band wagoning, either. It's because if you feed a man the same food every day, multiple times a day, and he wasn't a big fan of it in the first place, he is going to start to despise it. So if I have to listen to Lady Gaga fifty times a day on the radio at work, I will eventually begin to plot her death.
              Quote by vintage x metal
              I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
              Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Sep 1, 2010,
              [quote="'-[NiL"]-']It's because people are stupid, paranoid, bandwagon junkies, etc.

I know in cases like DT it is proper pointless trying to change peoples opinions etc its like telling a christian the bibles full of shite! But for the rest of it why do you let it bother you? You like the music, so just enjoy it and if other people dont like it, then its their problem!
              Quote by Jack Off Jill
              What is? That you care?

It's pretty simple. And not really a case of band wagoning, either. It's because if you feed a man the same food every day, multiple times a day, and he wasn't a big fan of it in the first place, he is going to start to despise it. So if I have to listen to Lady Gaga fifty times a day on the radio at work, I will eventually begin to plot her death.

You don't have to listen to anything everyday, no one's making you. This is the paranoia I was talking about. A station plays the same song 55 times a day? Listen to another station.

edit: I missed where it said they play that station at work, where you can't really change the station. It's one thing to say you don't like her music or whatev, but just straight-up bashing is uncalled for and against the rules here. Not to say you're bashing right now, in case you just decide look for things to poke at me about again.

Quote by onimacaroni
              I know in cases like DT it is proper pointless trying to change peoples opinions etc its like telling a christian the bibles full of shite! But for the rest of it why do you let it bother you? You like the music, so just enjoy it and if other people dont like it, then its their problem!

I'm not like, incredibly bothered by it. It's just that band-bashing is against the rules here, but it's not enforced on pop artists, and that's bullshit. That's what is pathetic. I don't care how anyone feels about my music, just that they can get away with being turds about it.

The point got completely missed here.

edit: And as far as changing someone's opinion goes, that's definitely not what I'm about. I'm just not that kind of person.
              Last edited by -[NiL]- at Sep 1, 2010,
              Page 1 of 3