Hi UG.

So since my band is getting bigger shows and playing with better bands, my Mom (being the best mom in the world) said she will buy me a BRAND NEW half stack for X-Mas. Now I know I'm posting early, but I want to think this thing through and get some good opinions. I play Death Metal (deathcore w.e.) and I currently have a 5150 212 combo. The 5150 I have I bought used about a year ago and it has recently started taking turns for the worse It has broken down multiple times on stage and although I am no professional musician (yet ) I take my playing seriously and faulty equipment is NOT an option. I live in Windsor, ON Canada. I could spend roughly 2000$ on a head AND cab. I do not want to go with another 5150 or 6505. I like the tone I get but it is just not what I'm looking for. Just looking for some suggestions so I can start the research!!

Thanks

EDIT: Also, I will be buying a noise gate and a boost pedal sometime soon after. Suggestions for those are welcome as well
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Last edited by DroptuneD at Sep 1, 2010,
seeing as you're in canada (and live relatively close to me), i know pretty much exactly what you're going to be stuck with. and thats going to be some sort of peavey, mesa, or if you're lucky, bugera might be another option. start looking around used, especially on kijiji for a good deal.

hughes and kettner may be another option to look at as well. metal amps are a little harder to come by in canada unfortunately...
I would also go with Mesa/Boogie. Crushing amount of gain, which is good for what you play.
If Windsor doesn't have good options, coming across the bridge to Detroit is always an option.
Check out Krank- the tone is great for death metal but i've heard that they don't have the best build quality.
Engls kick ass- look for one used. The Fireball 100 has great tone, and if you could find a used Powerball, I'd snatch it up.
Mesas are worth looking into also, the rectifier sound is somewhat of a standard in death metal.
As for cabs, I'd look at Mesa, Orange, or Vader.

Any specific tone you're after?
I will talk about tech-death, all the time.
I was thinking of Dual/triple rec but new at L&M the Dual is like $2,450
Quote by metalheadinjury
If Windsor doesn't have good options, coming across the bridge to Detroit is always an option.
Check out Krank- the tone is great for death metal but i've heard that they don't have the best build quality.
Engls kick ass- look for one used. The Fireball 100 has great tone, and if you could find a used Powerball, I'd snatch it up.
Mesas are worth looking into also, the rectifier sound is somewhat of a standard in death metal.

Well, I've really been digging Bring Me The Horizon's tone on Suicide Season. I'm pretty sure Lee Malia runs an Orange and a 5150 in stereo so that's not an option. I also like Suicide Silence's tone...I believe they use Kranks and Mesa's.
Last edited by DroptuneD at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by metalheadinjury

Who ever told you that clearly doesn't know what they are talking about. I've had two Rev Jr. amps (upgraded from Standard to Pro) and they are built like tanks. The first one withstood a year worth of being lugged around from jam spot to jam spot and countless hours of being played at high volumes. The second one survived some shitty pack job and careless handling by UPS, so 'nuff said there.

I agree with the Fireball suggestion though, they're ideal for death metal IMO.
I'd look into something other than a "Ball" if you're going with Engl. The Powerball is pretty nice, but the Fireball doesn't seem to cut through the mix well. I've never played one live, but I know people who have and I *have* played the amp. Look for a used Invader or Savage, and the Blackmore is an option, but it doesn't have as much gain as the others.

Otherwise, the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade is a nice amp, I've played one quite frequently, and like it a lot, especially since it's MIDI controllable with the onboard effects. H&K also make the Triamp and the Trilogy, both of which you could find used within your price range.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Go for an Ampeg VH-140c. Even though its a solidstate, death metal bands such as Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, and a ton of others. It sounds godly. Plus, you'll only have to spend like $400 max on it.

As for a cab, go for a vader, they're the best for any type of metal.
Quote by ibz_bucket
I'd look into something other than a "Ball" if you're going with Engl. The Powerball is pretty nice, but the Fireball doesn't seem to cut through the mix well. I've never played one live, but I know people who have and I *have* played the amp.

Everyone says this, but mine still can easily be heard over my old Mark IV or Rivera KR7. Both amps have TONS of mids and cut like crazy. I think you just have to realize dialing in a mix is not what sounds best when the amp is alone.

That being said, the other engl's are much nicer, and most likely will sound better. Fireball 100W is supposed to be super brutal.

Quote by GuitaristTrue
As for a cab, go for a vader, they're the best for any type of metal.

Be weary on this one.. I love my vader, but it sounds like total balls with some amps. There is no speaker breakup, and sometimes you want that.
/rig
Last edited by mespinos at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by GuitaristTrue
Go for an Ampeg VH-140c. Even though its a solidstate, death metal bands such as Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, and a ton of others. It sounds godly. Plus, you'll only have to spend like $400 max on it.

He's in Canada, they weren't ever sold here, so he'd have to cross the border to get it.

However there is the option of a Crate GX-130C or GT1200 or 3500. It's the same circuit, but after SLM stopped selling modern guitar amps under the Ampeg name.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by mespinos
Everyone says this, but mine still can easily be heard over my old Mark IV or Rivera KR7. Both amps have TONS of mids and cut like crazy. I think you just have to realize dialing in a mix is not what sounds best when the amp is alone.

Could be. Like I've said, I never played the thing live, I was just mentioning what I've heard in addition to my experience with it sans accompaniment. Thanks for shedding light on the amp though,
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
If you can find one, the amplifier/cabinet rig you are looking for is the Diamond Nitrox with its matching 4x12 cabinet. This thing has the most lethal tone and gain you are ever going to encounter, and the quality is first-rate in every respect:

http://www.diamondamplification.com/nitrox.html

You sure as hell won't need a boost pedal with this weapon of mass destruction. I was lucky enough to play through one (and hear other players who are much better than I am) and the thing really is that good. They do have Canadian distributors. Scroll down to near the end of this list:

http://www.diamondamplification.com/dealers.html

Good luck with your amp search. As for a noise gate, get an ISP Decimator. They seem to be the standard by which all of the others are judged.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Sep 1, 2010,
Go over to Long & McQuade and try the sh!t out of everything. They always have lots of great amps, and you're bound to find one you like
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
I know Mark Heylum uses a triple rec and mesa cabs.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/artist-reviews-and-interviews/87736-sevenstring-org-interview-mark-heylmun-of-suicide-silence.html

Check on craigslist-I've seen tons of Mesas (dual and triple recs) up there in recent months, and quite a few cabs too, if you aren't opposed to buying used.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=22&subAreaID=&query=mesa+rectifier&catAbb=sss
You might try buying the head you want now and improvising on a cab until you can save up for one you really want. You can get an ok cab used for around $100-$150.
I will talk about tech-death, all the time.