I have a Epiphone Les Paul and am a huge pink floyd fan, but have been learning all the songs without an amp. I live in a pretty tight apartment complex, so I don't even want some amp that can really project the sound or anything. Ideally, I would like a setup where I can plug my headphones into something and hear the effects through them as to keep quiet (and avoid embarrassing myself until I get better).

I have $300 to spend. Possible?

Thanks in Advance
amplitube. Plug your guitar into your computer and you have almost every effect imaginable.
Boss ME-70. I personally like the Boss GT-10 but you said under $300. You could grab a new GT-10 for around $400. ME-70 with a coupon you can get for around $250. Settings are posted at sites for different artist tones. Plusd the headphones in and set your tone and Bend away.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
You're gonna have a pretty hard time sounding like Gilmour on a Les Paul dude...

I know from experience, I've tried.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by GSKashmir
amplitube. Plug your guitar into your computer and you have almost every effect imaginable.

+1.
Get a Digitech Pedal, those are like line 6 pods, but better. That and some good headphones will give you the gilmour sound and quietness. Plus, if you know how, you can use the pedal with a plain aux input, and wont have to buy an amp
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Quote by TheLifeguard
You're gonna have a pretty hard time sounding like Gilmour on a Les Paul dude...

I know from experience, I've tried.

You know that you are full of shite right!
Although he is known for his Strats he also is famous esp for his Gibson Goldtop LP

READ AND WEEP

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=901

TS, I would recommend some sort of modeler since there is no way to get his tone without at least an amp and a serious butt load of gear.
Quote by JohnnyNash
Boss ME-70. I personally like the Boss GT-10 but you said under $300. You could grab a new GT-10 for around $400. ME-70 with a coupon you can get for around $250. Settings are posted at sites for different artist tones. Plusd the headphones in and set your tone and Bend away.

+1
Quote by Sputnik1
Although he is known for his Strats he also is famous esp for his Gibson Goldtop LP

READ AND WEEP

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=901

TS, I would recommend some sort of modeler since there is no way to get his tone without at least an amp and a serious butt load of gear.

If you actually read that article, you'll notice that he only started using the LPs heavily on later albums, although he used one on Another Brick in the Wall Pt.2. He just likes to collect guitars, LPs included. It even quotes him (from a 1986 interview, long after the release of their biggest albums):

"I still can’t get used to a Gibson [Les Paul]. A Strat was always what I wanted, and I’ve used the tremolo arm since I saw Hank Marvin using it”

TS: You're not gonna get there with $300. To nail Gilmour's tones, you'll need a plethora of guitars, amps, and effects. Definitely check out www.glimourish.com. They'll have plenty of info.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Get a Peavey Classic 30 or a Line 6 Flextone used, and you'll be somewhere in the upper deck of the ball park. At least that's kinda close. Some multifx pedals might work, like the Line 6 Pod X3 or the Boss GT-10/8.

If you can, try and trade your Epi LP for a MIM Strat. If you can't do that, try and get a coil tap installed.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by beckyjc
Vox Tonelab.

My fav multi FX unit (that ive tried). Wont get you spot on, but you'll be able to get some sweet smooth lead tones.

+1. Stay away from Boss ME series.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Thanks you guys have been a lot of help. I'm going to go with Amplitube first because its the cheapest option for me and see how that works. You guys know anywhere brick and mortar that I can buy a cable that goes from guitar to audio in on my mac or should I just wait it out and order online?
Yeah the bosses are packed with more features and stuff, but like most boss stuff, compramise on sound quality.

The pods cool too.

^You can buy a straight 1/8" to 1/4" mono adapter to plug straight into your computer. Though i have no idea what macs are like for line in, so you may get some issues with sound quality and latency, ASIO drivers are needed.

Id personally reccomend you get a USB 2.0 interface from eBay to save hassle, like the pod studio GX, or even this if you're gunna be cheap about it http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_usb1g.htm.
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by 3rdstonefromsun
Thanks you guys have been a lot of help. I'm going to go with Amplitube first because its the cheapest option for me and see how that works. You guys know anywhere brick and mortar that I can buy a cable that goes from guitar to audio in on my mac or should I just wait it out and order online?

If you go to an electronics store (like The Source in Canada) they should have 1/4" to 1/8" converters, and then you can go line-in to your computer.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Going straight into your comp usually sounds pretty terrible because typical sound cards weren't meant for recording so they sound pretty harsh and muddy, and the guitars signal will be very weak seeing as how the sound card most likely won't have any kind of preamp. A USB/Firewire interface is really your best bet.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
^
Depends on the Mac that he's using. If it's a MacBook like mine, it doesn't have a preamp but the sound quality is pretty good. Not as good as it is with an interface, but pretty good nonetheless.

TS: If your'e using a Mac, why not just use Garageband for sound modeling and recording? It did the trick for me until I got my TonePort. Just a suggestion
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Last edited by Jimmy_Page_Zep at Sep 1, 2010,
My RP500 has a Gilmour tone. It gets close to a few floyd songs. Works well for recording/practice and if you move into a live environment your all set for giggin. The stereo outs make it a blast when you plug up two amps. It also has a looper with the upgraded firmware.
I have to recommend the rp500 because its simple to use. My buddys got a ME-70, and while its nice, I find it kinda hard to use.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by teamhex
My RP500 has a Gilmour tone. It gets close to a few floyd songs. Works well for recording/practice and if you move into a live environment your all set for giggin. The stereo outs make it a blast when you plug up two amps. It also has a looper with the upgraded firmware.
I have to recommend the rp500 because its simple to use. My buddys got a ME-70, and while its nice, I find it kinda hard to use.

It's only $299 for all those effects for a reason. They sound like crap. I'm not a fan of Digitech, and I'm even less of a fan of cheap multi-FX units. Like I said earlier, the only cheaper one I would go with is a ToneLab. Also, if you find the ME series hard to use there's something wrong. They're like giant stompboxes.

As has been said many times in this thread, for only $300 you don't have a lot of options. Your best bet is to invest in a decent interface and play through your computer. If you go for something like a Line6 Toneport (UX1 or UX2, doesn't matter), you get PodFarm software. Modeling software will never sound like the real thing, but PodFarm is pretty good. I use it for my tone when recording into GarageBand on my MacBook. You can pick up a UX1 for like $100-$150, and it's got everything you'll need. Start messing around with different amps and effects in PodFarm and find out what amps/effects YOU like. No point in trying to sound like someone else. Then, figure out how much the real thing costs and save, save save. You'll be hard pressed to put together a quality tone if you're only going to invest $300 in equipment. And buying cheap upgrades now will only cost you more in the long run. Things like these cheap multiFX units don't hold their value very well, and will probably break at some point. But before that happens, you'll likely realize that you don't like the sound and you'll smack yourself in the head for not saving up a few hundred more bucks and buying something that will sound good.

My advice: Save some more money and get a decent, low-wattage tube amp. Your tone will improve by MILES. If you're desperate to buy something now, go for a USB interface or even a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and use GarageBand.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Sputnik1

Record a cover of Comfortably Numb on a Les Paul Standard and let me know how it goes.

Douche.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by TheLifeguard
Record a cover of Comfortably Numb on a Les Paul Standard and let me know how it goes.

Douche.

Why, will he fall over and die?

He isnt going to nail his tone with a $300 budget. I dont see why people are acting like it's a crime punishable by death to play floyd on an LP.
Quote by beckyjc
Why, will he fall over and die?

He isnt going to nail his tone with a $300 budget. I dont see why people are acting like it's a crime punishable by death to play floyd on an LP.

Not a crime except to your ears. Most Floyd tunes were originally recorded with a 1970 Stratocaster. Even with P90's your Gibson will still not sound like a Strat. That also works the other way although there is more flexibility in strat replacement pickups. Yes Gilmour does play Gibson Les Pauls but just about every one he plays on stage has P90's in them.About the only guitar I have seen him play on stage with humbucker pickups is one of his Gretsch's.

Getting his tone is incredibly tough. His effects pedal board is custom made and his rack is filled with no longer made gear who's prices USED have shot into the stratosphere *TC 2290 delay unit more than $1000 used*. That said you can get close to his tone with much much less. I can get fairly close with my PodXT and my strat but it takes damn near endless hours of tweaking to get things even close. To do some of the later stuff you need an effects unit with dual chains for his stuff that uses sound on sound. Oh and a Digitech Whammy pedal for pitch shifts.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Sep 2, 2010,
And I'd like a car that performs like a Ferrari F458 on a budget of $1000. Aint gonna happen is it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by beckyjc
^Doesn't the mic input have a built in preamp. Albeit not a very good one...
On a PC the mic input does have a preamp, but the input impedance for the std spec is fairly low. So even though it can amplify the signal it may still be a tone sucker.

I have to laugh at these threads arguing over the details of reproducing someone's tone. When you consider the level of skill that it requires to sound like a famous artist, I'd willing to bet that getting the right equipment is the least of your worries.
Quote by sparkeyjames
Not a crime except to your ears. Most Floyd tunes were originally recorded with a 1970 Stratocaster. Even with P90's your Gibson will still not sound like a Strat. That also works the other way although there is more flexibility in strat replacement pickups. Yes Gilmour does play Gibson Les Pauls but just about every one he plays on stage has P90's in them.About the only guitar I have seen him play on stage with humbucker pickups is one of his Gretsch's.

I know gilmour used a strat.
Yeah, it wont sound like a strat. But why has everyone gotta be so nitpicky about it. Neck humbucker, roll the tone off a bit, job done.
Quote by beckyjc
I know gilmour used a strat.
Yeah, it wont sound like a strat. But why has everyone gotta be so nitpicky about it. Neck humbucker, roll the tone off a bit, job done.

This is what I've always done to play Floyd on my LP. And until my Strat comes in, I'll continue to do it. It's not his tone exactly, but it's close enough to it for me.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
It's only $299 for all those effects for a reason. They sound like crap. I'm not a fan of Digitech, and I'm even less of a fan of cheap multi-FX units. Like I said earlier, the only cheaper one I would go with is a ToneLab. Also, if you find the ME series hard to use there's something wrong. They're like giant stompboxes.

What are you kidding? I own that and tons of singles and while ill admit not every effect on it is usable, there's tons that sound great. I really only use it for tuning, the looper, its wah, and for an extra overdrive push, but its not trash like you say.

The ME-70 is not as easy as the rp500. Theres tons of reviews that say this, im not the only one that feels this way. Its not like I don't know how to use the ME-70, but the actual use of it, is not as straight forward as my RP500. I don't like digitech as much as the next guy, but come on.....really?....

Theres plenty of covers on youtube with LPs
Is this not close enough....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBI0QbMyPbs
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Sep 2, 2010,
Quote by teamhex
What are you kidding? I own that and tons of singles and while ill admit not every effect on it is usable, there's tons that sound great. I really only use it for tuning, the looper, its wah, and for an extra overdrive push, but its not trash like you say.

The ME-70 is not as easy as the rp500. Theres tons of reviews that say this, im not the only one that feels this way. Its not like I don't know how to use the ME-70, but the actual use of it, is not as straight forward as my RP500. I don't like digitech as much as the next guy, but come on.....really?....

Theres plenty of covers on youtube with LPs
Is this not close enough....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBI0QbMyPbs

Take it easy. That wasn't a personal attack, just my opinion. I've owned an ME-50, and having worked at a guitar shop for a few years, I've played through practically every Digitech RP unit. And I happen to think they're tone-suckers with a clearly processed sound. I know you're not the only one who loves their multi-FX, and I was one of those people too. I'm just trying to help out the TS by giving advice the best advice I can based on my mistakes.

As for the ME-50, I sold it because it sucked. Like you said, not every effect is usable, but some are. The tuner, delay, and chorus effects were quite nice. However, the distortions were horrid (COSM sucks...), the wah had no range, the reverb sounded like crap, and it has a 1-2 second delay whenever you switch between memory bank patches. To me, that is NOT a good pedal. Not to mention that it sucks life out of your tone, even without any effects on.

As for the LP comment, you can get close to Gilmour's sound on a LP. I do, anyways. He even used LPs on some solos (like I said earlier, Another Brick In the Wall, pt2). But nobody should be disputing the fact that to get a Gilmour tone, you'd be best off with a Strat. Gilmour is so closely associated with Strats because he used Strats most often.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
i think the rp series of multi effects, is pretty bad honestly. id rather get a decent L6 pod or vox tonelab.

i still think amplitude would be a good option.
A lot of people are getting good tones out of the RP500/RP1000. It isn't easy tweaking a multifx. I had trouble getting good tones from my GNX4. I didn't want to get rid of it because it's the only integrated multifx/8 track recorder made. So I broke down and bought the MFX Supermodels and found out the tones are in there, just hard to get.