Hello, everyone. Recently, I purchased this (what seems to be) Epiphone Les Paul Standard Flake Top for $220 off of my cousin. This guitar is in prime condition, however I can't seem to find anything about a Flake Top ANYWHERE on the internet.

I haven't been playing for that long, but I figured I'd make a step up from my Yamaha Acoustic and buy something a little more resonant, so I inquired on this Epi LP Flake Top. Please tell me any background information you may know about this guitar (Price, circa, websites with info, etc.), and it will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments:
2010-09-01 16-28-36.279.jpg
2010-09-01 16-28-59.560.jpg
2010-09-01 16-29-20.048.jpg
2010-09-01 16-29-47.684.jpg
2010-09-01 16-30-14.990.jpg
okay. here are my thoughts on the matter. without seeing the actual top i can't tell if what you say is a flake top is actually a different top. i've never heard of any such flake top. while some of the stuff on the guitar seem a little out of place/sketchy, its not enough to say for sure. the only kicker is who would copy an epi? if you go to all that work to copy one, you might as well make it a gibson. overall, i would say not to worry about it. as long as you like how it looks and plays and you're happy with the price, don't worry about it, you got a good instrument.
My Main Gear

guitars
gibson sg special faded
Fender Stratocaster (turning it into the black strat relic!)
cort stat 2t
ventura (ibanez artcore lawsuit era copy)
'74 alvarez acoustic

amps
peavy transtube express 112
Is this it?

Epiphone do limited paint jobs all the time. In terms of features, it's pretty much the same as a les paul standard: mahogany body and neck, maple top, "alnico classic" pickups.

One difference is the tuners: the Standards currently have grover tuners, but I think that's a fairly recent addition. A few years ago, they all had kluson-style tuners, like this one does. It's still a good guitar, worth the 220 if it's almost new.
Yes, it's similar to that, if not identical, however, the truss rod cover is one thing I'm unsure about. I just don't really understand what guitar this is. It says limited edition, so I'm sure it must be a little more valuable than what I'm paying for it, but the dealbreaker is that I can't seem to find a serial #/code ANYWHERE.
Quote by sashki
Is this it?

Epiphone do limited paint jobs all the time. In terms of features, it's pretty much the same as a les paul standard: mahogany body and neck, maple top, "alnico classic" pickups.

One difference is the tuners: the Standards currently have grover tuners, but I think that's a fairly recent addition. A few years ago, they all had kluson-style tuners, like this one does. It's still a good guitar, worth the 220 if it's almost new.

And yes, mine has kluson-styler tuners as well.
Questionable in my eyes but Im no expert. The Logo position and Silkscreened Les Paul are incorrect. The Control Knobs look out of place as well but with the poor pic it's hard to tell. I'd like to see the rear control covers as well.

To SG DUDE 38:
There are uncountable counterfiets of Epis out there on Ebay and other sites. Epiphone itself has published press statements to that effect.
MPL Forum also has two stickies with some sharp eyed people who have posted good info on what to look for.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Sep 1, 2010,
The logos on the headstock are at unusual angles, but I wouldn't call it a fake just yet. You can't see the serial number because it is scratched out and stamped with used. Better pictures would be nice.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
i just researched your serial number, and this is what ive found

1=saein (country/factory code)
63=year of production
5=month
00=where it gets odd, this should be a production number. i know some guitar companies (gibson) will use a double zero to denote a "test" or preproduction model.

although i would not trust this your serial is only a sticker and not stamped onto the guitar.
Quote by sg dude 38
okay. here are my thoughts on the matter. without seeing the actual top i can't tell if what you say is a flake top is actually a different top. i've never heard of any such flake top. while some of the stuff on the guitar seem a little out of place/sketchy, its not enough to say for sure. the only kicker is who would copy an epi? if you go to all that work to copy one, you might as well make it a gibson. overall, i would say not to worry about it. as long as you like how it looks and plays and you're happy with the price, don't worry about it, you got a good instrument.

happens all the time. ALL the time.

take a pic of the back plate. then open the pup control cavity and take a picture of that.

^and yeah, serial #s dont really mean anything if it's a fake.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Alucard817
i just researched your serial number, and this is what ive found

1=saein (country/factory code)
63=year of production
5=month
00=where it gets odd, this should be a production number. i know some guitar companies (gibson) will use a double zero to denote a "test" or preproduction model.

although i would not trust this your serial is only a sticker and not stamped onto the guitar.

NO Epi LP copies till late 80's so the production year is obviously a false decode.
Guitar Dater only works with real/valid products. It is not a authentification tool but a way to determine date & place of manufacture assuming the instrument is not a counterfeit.
Moving on.....
I wouldn't worry to much about it if it plays good sounds good. to me, looks like a pretty good guitar. Some things that set it apart, but nothing totally unusual. Not and expert though.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by filtersweep
Why don't you ask your cousin how he acquired it?

Her parents got it from a local music shop, Play It Again Guitars. It isn't new from the store, however, it was bought used by Play It Again.
Its real, my buddy's got one from the 90's with a blue flake top.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
it's either real or a really good fake. I'd say real.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Those are small Pots. I was under the impression Epi used full sized versions. A lot of "fake" Epis are also factory rejects which were intended for destruction.
Moving on.....