I am trying to analyze the song Soraya, by Animals As Leaders, but I need help with determining the key of the song (major or minor as well), whether or not the key changes, and whether or not it utilizes a specific mode. I think it is in either B Major or G# minor, but i could use some input.

Sorry I couldn't find a link, but if you know the song or can listen to it please help me out! Thanks in advance.
I didn't expect any responces lol, this is a hard song! But any input helps.
What are the chords?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I think that it's in Db minor better make that C# minor of some sort and I don't hear any key changes. Just got the GP file so I need to take a closer look to get more specifics than that. Working on it.

I'll update it as I analyze.

Chord progression: (In progress)
A C# D# - AMajb5
A# D# B - ?
A C# G# - Amaj7 (no 5)
A# D# B

Then the guitar comes in with the tapping the diads and the bass starts:
A# D# - P4
A# A - Maj7
G C - P4
G# C# - P4

Bass plays in... something. Lots of chromatic notes there. Will take a little to figure out what the bass + the diads come out as.

After that he does a C#m11 arpeggio.

Back to the section with the diads and he solos over it and it returns to the m11 arpeggio.

Next solo section it's a lead and the bass. Here's what the bass looks like to me.
F# E G# - Emaj7
F# E A - F#m7
C E G# D# F# - Cm11. The accented note goes up. C -> D# -> leads back to...
the F#m7 bit again.

Guitar enters with these chords:
C#sus2/G#
Amaj7b5

Then a C#m9 arpeggio, Cmaj9 arpeggio for two bars then it all repeats a few times.

The ending chord progression:
F#9 (no 3rd), C#maj9 (no 3rd).

Finally return to the C#m11 arpeggio with this underneath:
C# and A octave diads.

And to Canvas, yes I do realize he plays a lot of it. It was in GP as two different tracks so I just analyzed it that way I'd label it that way but it's got the b7 in it as well.

That's what I've come up with on my general analysis. Now it's time for bed

Oh and there's still the mystery chord I couldn't figure out in the beginning.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Last edited by FacetOfChaos at Sep 2, 2010,
^^ You do know it's not a bass and guitar right? It's one guy playing an 8 string with a drum machine in the background.

EDIT: And the F#9(no 3) at the end that you specified would just be an F#sus2.
Last edited by canvasDude at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by canvasDude
^^ You do know it's not a bass and guitar right? It's one guy playing an 8 string with a drum machine in the background.

^^ You do know it doesn't change anything at all about his helpful post?
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by nightwind
^^ You do know it doesn't change anything at all about his helpful post?

Oh I know. His post was quite helpful and informative, I just can't let Tosin Abasi's immense talent go unrecognized.
i actually take lessons from Tosin Via the Web, and we have talked specifically about this song.

the beginning of the song is just two chords G#9 (I'm not really good at notating chords this way) and AMaj7(#11)

and then he starts doing a Bmaj arpeggio that incorporates the 2nd and the 4th.

I have a lesson with him tomorrow at 4:30 ill ask him what the chords were, but i know it was a 9 chord and a Maj7(#11)
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
Last edited by `NeXxuS` at Sep 2, 2010,
Quote by canvasDude

EDIT: And the F#9(no 3) at the end that you specified would just be an F#sus2.

there is a bass guitar in the recordings and live shows as well, its programmed though, theres also many synths and other samples.
aNOMaly
Quote by `NeXxuS`
i actually take lessons from Tosin Via the Web, and we have talked specifically about this song.

the beginning of the song is just two chords G#9 (I'm not really good at notating chords this way) and AMaj7(#11)

and then he starts doing a Bmaj arpeggio that incorporates the 2nd and the 4th.

I have a lesson with him tomorrow at 4:30 ill ask him what the chords were, but i know it was a 9 chord and a Maj7(#11)

Dude, you are the luckiest man alive... just saying. Thanks for your help, I obviously can't deny that you're right. Those chords seem to work with the key of C# minor, so it sounds like we are all in agreement.
hey, I asked him, and he said that i was right, but he prefers to view the G# as Ab.

So, Ab min9 and A Maj7(#11)
aNOMaly