Page 1 of 2
While I respect the hard work that luthiers put into their works,the result is mostly no better than other high-end factory made guitars.Why would anyone want to spend 3 times the money for a hand-made guitar that sounds only 1% better than a good factory guitar?Maybe it's the pride of being able to say "I own a guitar hand-made by so-and-so luthier".
Well the pride alone is worth something, surely? To me it would be, anyway. It'd be nice to own something like that i think.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Hand made also means custom: ie, get yourself custom inlays, paint job etc that might not be available on an equiv factory made guitar
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
Hand made also means custom: ie, get yourself custom inlays, paint job etc that might not be available on an equiv factory made guitar

This. I think it'd be pretty cool to have a unique guitar, even if it was just say a Les Paul with a different inlay. It'd be different and people would associate you with it
Hand made guitars are more about the personal pride of having something, truly unique, one of a kind. A hand made guitar typically would reflect the person it was made for, if its made for someone by order. If its just a handmade one made for no one in particular, it'll still be unique, and have an interesting look too it. Most luthiers, when they make guitars, make them to how they feel a guitar should look. not some cookie cutter design.
Hand made guitars show personality, and show that guitars aren't just mass produced pieces of income for companies.
Hand made means that there will be a lot more attention to detail. While sound will in fact not be any better Aesthetics will be very nice. Also it gives the luthier to put a more unique spin on the guitar that he will likely never do with another.

This also means that if the particular luthier's becomes very famous or even just well known then his guitars will become highly collectible seeing as he will naturally make fewer guitars.

There is also the benefit of fully custom guitar. with everything form varryinng neck width at diffrent positions on the neck to even slightly angled frets to allow for better ease of play.
The possibilities are almost endless.

Then there is just the thought of having a one of a kind, work of art.

If I could afford a high quality handmade guitar id totally buy it.
To say that a hand crafted guitar from a respected luthier will not have a better tone than manufactured guitars is a ridiculous statement. If that were the case, they wouldn't have a job.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
This is from your vast experience with handmade acoustics, right? You'll get better results commissioning from a luthier that knows what they're doing. Why? Because they voice their instruments individually as opposed to utilizing an assembly line technique to manufacture thousands of them. A factory won't maximize the potential of the individual pieces of wood they put together for the specific instrument nor will they incorporate the attention to detail that an independent luthier would.

I have a hard time believing you've ever played one from a decent luthier from the nature of this thread.
Taylor 710 97'
Taylor 414ce LTD-R Fall 09'
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M
Custom strat

My photography
Quote by Seanstrom
Hand made guitars are more about the personal pride of having something, truly unique, one of a kind. A hand made guitar typically would reflect the person it was made for, if its made for someone by order. If its just a handmade one made for no one in particular, it'll still be unique, and have an interesting look too it. Most luthiers, when they make guitars, make them to how they feel a guitar should look. not some cookie cutter design.
Hand made guitars show personality, and show that guitars aren't just mass produced pieces of income for companies.

Agreed. I try to learn the stuff I want done to my guitars so I can do it myself. I have fun doing it, and I save money.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
i don't like handmade guitars because they're handmade - i like some that sound truly sublime. some handmades don't seem any better than high end factory guitars to me - but some do. goodalls sound better than, well, almost any guitar on the planet, and you can very much tell the difference between a santa cruz and other comparable guitars - and the santa cruz 00 i'm lusting over costs less than some martins and gibsons, but is all handmade.

besides, the higher end guitars made by gibson, yamaha, martin and many others are hand-made.
Quote by Woodtuning
While I respect the hard work that luthiers put into their works,the result is mostly no better than other high-end factory made guitars.Why would anyone want to spend 3 times the money for a hand-made guitar that sounds only 1% better than a good factory guitar?Maybe it's the pride of being able to say "I own a guitar hand-made by so-and-so luthier".

What are you talking about? Compare any factory made classical guitar to one that's made by a reliable luthier and you'll notice an incredible difference in tone and quality. A good luthier will know what to do with a given piece of wood depending on its own unique qualities and the kind of cut it is. The building of a classical guitar (And steel strings too) has so many possibilities in terms of the glue that's used, the kind of bracing, the shape/contour of the back and the kind of wood etc etc.

If you look at all the top classical guitarists, they own hand made guitars, not because of the prestige that comes with it, it's because of the sound quality. Just compare the highest end mass produced factory guitar you can with a well made hand-crafted classical guitar and you'll notice the difference. Take Kim Lissarrague for example, he's an Australian luthier, his guitars go for about $7000 AUD and any factory produced guitar at a similar price sounds much worse compared to it.

Both of my main guitars are hand made and for the price, they are much better than the factory produced counterparts.
Quote by |Long|
To say that a hand crafted guitar from a respected luthier will not have a better tone than manufactured guitars is a ridiculous statement. If that were the case, they wouldn't have a job.

Let me respectfully disagree here. If a guitar sounds good it's good, no matter where or how it was built. Many trained and certified luthiers don't have a job, even good ones. Being a skillful craftsman doesn't automatically mean you're gonna be successful in business, and sadly it happens the other way 'round too.
One thing's for sure, no custom luthier can compete mass production and cheap labour when it comes to prices, so they better offer something those big factories don't.
I think what the OP is saying is that, they want a custom, hand-made guitar... but can't afford it... so lets bash em instead.

lol.
Blueridge BR-160A
Law of diminishing returns.

The "better" something is, the more money you will have to pay for each incrimental increase of it. This is just how the world's markets work.

E.g. A Ferrari has around 550BHP and costs $180,000USD. An Acura TL has 300BHP, but costs $50,000. The Ferrari has nearly double the BHP, but is over 3x the price.

The "better" something is, the harder it is to make it even more so. This is why the law of diminshing returns exists.

For the average person, yes I would also agree with you TS. It's probably not worth spending $5,000 on the really really nice guitars, but this is all about perspective.

You do not need to be a wine connoisseur to enjoy wine, but you do need to be one to appreciate it fully. It's ALL about perspective.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Law of diminishing returns.

The "better" something is, the more money you will have to pay for each incrimental increase of it. This is just how the world's markets work.

E.g. A Ferrari has around 550BHP and costs $180,000USD. An Acura TL has 300BHP, but costs $50,000. The Ferrari has nearly double the BHP, but is over 3x the price.

The "better" something is, the harder it is to make it even more so. This is why the law of diminshing returns exists.

For the average person, yes I would also agree with you TS. It's probably not worth spending $5,000 on the really really nice guitars, but this is all about perspective.

You do not need to be a wine connoisseur to enjoy wine, but you do need to be one to appreciate it fully. It's ALL about perspective.

+1
What matters more? How you play the damn thing or how much it costs? Ive seen a lot of people drop serious bucks for a guitar that didn't really give them that much more. Hell, most of the time, you can get the same sound from your existing instrument that you got the new thing for.

As for the ferrari thing, with all due respect, that comparision is a load of crap. Its not exactly the horsepower they're charging you for. Get a Nissan Skyline tuned and you can get near about a 1000hp without paying that much.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Quote by hitman_47
What matters more? How you play the damn thing or how much it costs? Ive seen a lot of people drop serious bucks for a guitar that didn't really give them that much more. Hell, most of the time, you can get the same sound from your existing instrument that you got the new thing for.

As for the ferrari thing, with all due respect, that comparision is a load of crap. Its not exactly the horsepower they're charging you for. Get a Nissan Skyline tuned and you can get near about a 1000hp without paying that much.

I think you missed the point, he was illustrating the cost of fine details and quality coupled with rareness when compared to functionality. Horsepower could be likened to bracing at this point. I don't think the comparison was crap at all. It's obvious that the horsepower is not what you're paying for. You kinda made the same point and said it was wrong at the same time.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at Sep 2, 2010,
It seems that arguing about the issue is turning out to be relatively fruitless because the entire definition of "better" is too subjective to do anything with (what a surprise ). Here are my thoughts on the topic at hand.

1. There are good guitars and bad guitars. God knows what that means to any guitarist in particular, but we all have some preference.

2. Luthiers pay attention to detail. They also make mistakes that NC machines don't. It's a trade off.

3. Generally, luthiers select nicer woods because they have the option too, unlike mass-producers. Again, "nicer" is a big, fat, meaningless adjective, so who cares? For example, I think maple guitars sound pretty dumb, so no matter how fine a piece of lumber Mr. Taylor picks to build a custom instrument, I probably won't like it very much. I might even call it a "bad" guitar. ( )

4. Few (i.e. no) people have the magical ear to make every one of their hand-made guitars sound better than anything that has come from a factory. By my estimates, building guitars is roughly 50% witchcraft, 49% woodworking, and 1% science. Who can say that one man is better at putting together a good sounding guitar than a large group of skilled luthiers, manufacturing engineers, guitar enthusiasts, etc?

5. The only definite plus that hand-built instruments have is that they're interesting. That's really all anyone needs to justify the cost. It certainly doesn't mean mass-produced instruments should be considered any worse.

Edit: And you know TS, buying any guitar is a waste of money to some. It's just relative.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Sep 2, 2010,
Quote by Jazz Funeral
I think you missed the point, he was illustrating the cost of fine details and quality coupled with rareness when compared to functionality. Horsepower could be likened to bracing at this point. I don't think the comparison was crap at all. It's obvious that the horsepower is not what you're paying for. You kinda made the same point and said it was wrong at the same time.

What I meant was that you dont need to pay through the nose for a quality instrument. A hand crafted guitar may be a decent investment say, if its got brazilian rosewood or something, but if you sound like shit on an average $300 guitar, you're probably still going to sound like shit on a $3000 guitar.

The only thing you could get from a more expensive guitar is better tone, but that too is subjective. Also, you could get any concievable tone from a rig that costs less than $1000, but people still run after overpriced wood thinking they're going to sound like their guitar idol just cause they have the rig. Its about ability not just about the instrument. The instrument counts, but after a point, you're paying for the frills. You get a properly tuned Nissan Skyline and put a decent driver behind the wheel and the guy would probably smoke a Ferrari with an amateur.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Quote by hitman_47
What I meant was that you dont need to pay through the nose for a quality instrument. A hand crafted guitar may be a decent investment say, if its got brazilian rosewood or something, but if you sound like shit on an average $300 guitar, you're probably still going to sound like shit on a $3000 guitar.

The only thing you could get from a more expensive guitar is better tone, but that too is subjective. Also, you could get any concievable tone from a rig that costs less than $1000, but people still run after overpriced wood thinking they're going to sound like their guitar idol just cause they have the rig. Its about ability not just about the instrument. The instrument counts, but after a point, you're paying for the frills. You get a properly tuned Nissan Skyline and put a decent driver behind the wheel and the guy would probably smoke a Ferrari with an amateur.

Well yes, but that's an uncomparable factor. That should never be compared because of its inconsistency. I don't think anyone here is making the claim that an expensive instrument makes you sound better, necessarily.

In any case, my comparison was merely meant to be a straight comparison. There are obviously many factors that play into both cars and guitars, but to name them all would be impossible.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Flower83
Let me respectfully disagree here. If a guitar sounds good it's good, no matter where or how it was built. Many trained and certified luthiers don't have a job, even good ones. Being a skillful craftsman doesn't automatically mean you're gonna be successful in business, and sadly it happens the other way 'round too.
One thing's for sure, no custom luthier can compete mass production and cheap labour when it comes to prices, so they better offer something those big factories don't.

It's not a matter of money for luthiers. Most if not all only make a small amount of money on the side. The attention to detail, for one is a huge improvement over factory guitars. Having it be custom tailored to your liking is another.

Tonal qualities is very subjective though. If I went to a luthier and wanted a guitar that sounds "x y and z", it would suit me amazingly and I'd love it, but in your hands, you would not. A custom made guitar is for players who know exactly what they want.
---
Much like Cap's wine analogy, I'm a craft beer drinker and the same can be said for that. "Oh there is no need to pay 3.50 for a bottle of Peche Mortel when Guinness is only 2.50 " Personal preference + experience + knowledge all equate to something personal that will not suit may people.
---

There are also many 'small builders' ie Goodall, and other, which also aren't one man shops are smaller than Martin and the likes. Are they better than the rest? That all depends on what the user is looking for.

The woods are also much higher quality than what you would get in a standard line. Does that equate to better sound? Now that depends on way to many factors to say, but for sure they look better.
---
Large manufacturers are out for the best instrument per cost. Ie, maximal profit. Small time luthier are not. They are building a guitar built for YOU in ways that they can afford. It's a different realm of guitars altogether.

Quote by hitman_47

Noone in their right mind would by a guitar for 3k if they weren't experienced, especially coming from a 300$ one. And 3k, that's not a very good start for luthier pricing.

The only thing you could get from a more expensive guitar is better tone, but that too is subjective.

Wood looks, body feel and depth, neck geometry, bevels, soundports, bridge configurations, slotted/non slotted headstock.

Also, you could get any conceivable tone from a rig that costs less than $1000, but people still run after overpriced wood thinking they're going to sound like their guitar idol just cause they have the rig.

Someone spending money for a luthier build is NOT looking to go after their idol's guitar. They are more sensible that that. You are more likely to see a new players buying a high end Taylor or Martin b/c DMB plays one.

Its about ability not just about the instrument. The instrument counts, but after a point, you're paying for the frills. You get a properly tuned Nissan Skyline and put a decent driver behind the wheel and the guy would probably smoke a Ferrari with an amateur.

And you put that same 'decent' driver in the Ferrari and that car will take off. Case and point.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
Last edited by |Long| at Sep 2, 2010,
the guitars i've seen that cost serious bucks DID give a lot more tone. when i started playing guitars over $5000, some of them redefined how a guitar could sound for me. very few guitars i played before the expensive ones could even begin to compare.

a couple of the important differences between handbuilt guitars and others is bracing and tap tuning. these are done by a person, and take a lot of time to do, and a lot of experience to know how to do them right so they optimize the tone of the guitar. you want the lightest bracing possible in many cases, or else another way to allow the top to move more. not only is it important to do it right for the sound, but also if the braces are too light or the top is less firmly attached than it needs to be, the guitar will collapse in on itself or need frequent neck resets.

btw, until i had played a lot of different guitars in all price ranges, and compared them back to back, i couldn't hear the differences between cheap and expensive guitars except for the most obvious. after spending time "training" my ears this way, i can now tell whether a guitar is solid top or all solid without looking at it - among other things.

play a goodall jumbo - any one - and your perceptions about guitar sound will probably change. mine did, and it changed what i wanted from every guitar i've bought ever since, even if they weren't high end guitars. after i pick up my gc8, i'll be saving for that santa cruz 00 12 fretter. it'll take a while, but will be well worth the wait
Last edited by patticake at Sep 2, 2010,
^ Long says it all. +1 my man.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Quote by patticake
the guitars i've seen that cost serious bucks DID give a lot more tone. when i started playing guitars over $5000, some of them redefined how a guitar could sound for me. very few guitars i played before the expensive ones could even begin to compare.

a couple of the important differences between handbuilt guitars and others is bracing and tap tuning. these are done by a person, and take a lot of time to do, and a lot of experience to know how to do them right so they optimize the tone of the guitar. you want the lightest bracing possible in many cases, or else another way to allow the top to move more. not only is it important to do it right for the sound, but also if the braces are too light or the top is less firmly attached than it needs to be, the guitar will collapse in on itself or need frequent neck resets.

btw, until i had played a lot of different guitars in all price ranges, and compared them back to back, i couldn't hear the differences between cheap and expensive guitars except for the most obvious. after spending time "training" my ears this way, i can now tell whether a guitar is solid top or all solid without looking at it - among other things.

play a goodall jumbo - any one - and your perceptions about guitar sound will probably change. mine did, and it changed what i wanted from every guitar i've bought ever since, even if they weren't high end guitars. after i pick up my gc8, i'll be saving for that santa cruz 00 12 fretter. it'll take a while, but will be well worth the wait

Also an important note. You can't judge unless you've tried them. Training your ears is a huge journey. I can't relate to well in guitars only b/c I've played a number of them and bought a Larrivee. If I was to buy a Cruz, Goodall, or Lowden, well the trip to buying one would require at least a year (for me) vs 4 months on the Larrivee.

I can relate in craft beer though, as I've reviewed over 250 different beers from around the world, I can say the flavour (say tonal qualitys) and styles (hey guitar shapes?) I prefer. The more you test, the more you refine what you want.

Just like the comment "You're not read for this cheese" ... Yes, this can and is applied to almost everything - including guitars.

---
Patti, nice eye on the Santa Cruz. Although I've never played one, the recordings of them are beautiful and their 00's?! Holly hell! Their 13th fret guitars are also an interesting take.
Last edited by |Long| at Sep 2, 2010,
it takes a while to save, but while i was considering a larrivee, the 03 series doesn't turn my crank, so i'm spending more money and waiting longer for my layaway to be paid off.

funny thing about santa cruz guitars. i don't actually care for some of their larger guitars that much, but man, their smaller guitars! how can they get so much warmth in that small a guitar? they're not deeper like some martins and the blueridge parlors are. and although they're warm, they also have a very clear tone. i a-b'ed it with a larrivee 00, and it didn't even come close.

the 13 fretter was very interesting - my husband drooled over it when we tried it at l.a. guitar sales. for me, it was deeper than the 00 and had a narrower neck, but it did sound good - although imo not as warm as the 12 fretters, especially the 1929 but also the standard.

maybe some day you can make it to l.a. and we can take you to mccabe's, truetone and l.a. guitar sales. that's where i mostly get to see the handmades and unusual models - really cool!

Quote by |Long|
Also an important note. You can't judge unless you've tried them. Training your ears is a huge journey. I can't relate to well in guitars only b/c I've played a number of them and bought a Larrivee. If I was to buy a Cruz, Goodall, or Lowden, well the trip to buying one would require at least a year (for me) vs 4 months on the Larrivee.

I can relate in craft beer though, as I've reviewed over 250 different beers from around the world, I can say the flavour (say tonal qualitys) and styles (hey guitar shapes?) I prefer. The more you test, the more you refine what you want.

Patti, nice eye on the Santa Cruz. Although I've never played one, the recordings of them are beautiful and their 00's?! Holly hell! Their 13th fret guitars are also an interesting take.
Some day, someday. I'd love to travel and as I have places for beer (Belgium) and history, there are definitely a number of states I'll be going for guitars. I'll have to take you up on that offer some day I drool over the guitars @ LA Guitars website.

& I'm enjoying Skye's custom build thread at AGF so much. Quite the nice 00 SC seems to make.
Quote by |Long|

Noone in their right mind would by a guitar for 3k if they weren't experienced, especially coming from a 300$ one. And 3k, that's not a very good start for luthier pricing.

This one is laughable actually. Excellent argument. And youre going to tell me that the experienced player cant get the sound/tone/whatever the hell he wants from any cheaper instrument than a 3k guitar with the proper technique?

Wood looks, body feel and depth, neck geometry, bevels, soundports, bridge configurations, slotted/non slotted headstock.

Wood looks, body feel and depth are subjective. Geometry too can be argued to be subjective. Choice of bridge configurations is subjective. Slotted/non slotted headstock is subjective. Give me an objective reason? The only real reason to get a luthier made guitar is the feel good factor. Mental masterbation to a whole new level.

Someone spending money for a luthier build is NOT looking to go after their idol's guitar. They are more sensible that that. You are more likely to see a new players buying a high end Taylor or Martin b/c DMB plays one.

They are more sensible than that? Are you telling me that you havent seen peole drop mega bucks for gear that they cant/dont know how to use? Are you blind? Or naive? Or not in the real world?

And you put that same 'decent' driver in the Ferrari and that car will take off. Case and point.

The point is, you gotta know how to drive before you go off on a trip and buy a Ferrari. And even if you know how to drive, you can rape the Ferrari in a different car at a fraction of the price. The only reason for getting the Ferrari is to congratulate yourself for getting the Ferrari. Not because it drives better.
Quote by jpnyc

Quote by hitman_47
This one is laughable actually. Excellent argument. And youre going to tell me that the experienced player cant get the sound/tone/whatever the hell he wants from any cheaper instrument than a 3k guitar with the proper technique?

Yes. You don't seem to know how acoustic guitars work. First a 300$ guitar will be laminate and will more than likely sound terrible to anyone with relative experience.

Next, you can't make a Hog guitar sound like a Rosewood one. The player has a lot to do with the tonal output, but it's limited by the physics of the guitar.

You can't make a Martin sound like a Taylor etc.

Wood looks, body feel and depth are subjective. Geometry too can be argued to be subjective. Choice of bridge configurations is subjective. Slotted/non slotted headstock is subjective. Give me an objective reason? The only real reason to get a luthier made guitar is the feel good factor. Mental masterbation to a whole new level.

Exactly. It's subjective. So a person buying a CUSTOM guitar will get one that suits THEIR needs. They don't care if you like it or not. It's build for them.

They are more sensible than that? Are you telling me that you havent seen peole drop mega bucks for gear that they cant/dont know how to use? Are you blind? Or naive? Or not in the real world?

Again this shows you probably don't know to much about acoustics. If you can't recognize the brand how would you buy it? I can see someone buying a 3k Martin b/c a artist plays one, but noone is going to shell out 26k for a Somogyi if a) they don't know what the brand is, the name and b) they can't play.

The point is, you gotta know how to drive before you go off on a trip and buy a Ferrari. And even if you know how to drive, you can rape the Ferrari in a different car at a fraction of the price. The only reason for getting the Ferrari is to congratulate yourself for getting the Ferrari. Not because it drives better.

No. You get a Ferrari b/c you like what the Ferrari does.

You really do seem to have little knowledge about handbuilt guitars and I urge you to read up on them yourself before making claims.
Mines hand made, I love it. But then again it was the only thing in my price range and two other guitars worth £50 more was **** compared to mine pmsl.
My rule's quite simple: I'll buy a guitar if I like it. It doesn't matter if it's $300 or $3000, production line or completely handmade, new or utterly beat to hell and back.

At the moment I'm quite happy with the instruments I have, inexpensive and mass-produced though they are. They have precisely the sound and feel I like. But I would not consider a high-end, hand-made instrument a waste of money; it's just something really nice that, at the moment, I don't particularly need. Yes, you could argue we're both saying the same thing, but it makes a huge difference how you say it.
Its what I am saving for. Have known a luthier for ages, wanna have my own piece of beautifulness.

French polished koa, spruce top, tree of life-ish inlay, cutaway, fanned frets (slightly), a nice sound hole to point the stuff towards me, a nice pickup system.

I can go wherever i want. And ittal be ME.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by obeythepenguin
My rule's quite simple: I'll buy a guitar if I like it. It doesn't matter if it's $300 or $3000, production line or completely handmade, new or utterly beat to hell and back.

At the moment I'm quite happy with the instruments I have, inexpensive and mass-produced though they are. They have precisely the sound and feel I like. But I would not consider a high-end, hand-made instrument a waste of money; it's just something really nice that, at the moment, I don't particularly need. Yes, you could argue we're both saying the same thing, but it makes a huge difference how you say it.

+1 my man, I completely agree with you. All my guitars have come from impulse buys in shops where I've though "this suits me perfectly". And like you, I wouldn't rule out getting a hand made guitar but for my needs, I have the best instruments for me.
okay, here's another point of view.

i have a guild GAD-f20. i love the sound, look and feel of it, but to make it truly perfect for me, it would have to have a wider neck. i wrote to fender (who now owns guild) and they have no plans to offer this guitar with a 1 3/4" nut. so i wrote back and asked if i could get an f20 built exactly as they are but with the wider neck they offer on the GAD-30. they said no.

i had a very similar situation with my rover. it not only has a 1 11/16" nut, which is too narrow for my preferences, but it has a U shaped neck, which basically has rounded edges. i emailed washburn, and while they will make you a custom version of many of their guitars, they say they can't do it for their imported models.

this is exactly the situation a lot of people find themselves in. they have a guitar that fits most of their needs perfectly, but there's something that would make it perfect for them. sure, not all of us can afford that, but if i could, i'd want someone to make a guitar that has everything i like about my f20 and my rover, but put the perfect necks for me on them. man, i'd be one happy camper!
Quote by |Long|
Yes. You don't seem to know how acoustic guitars work. First a 300$ guitar will be laminate and will more than likely sound terrible to anyone with relative experience.

Next, you can't make a Hog guitar sound like a Rosewood one. The player has a lot to do with the tonal output, but it's limited by the physics of the guitar.

You can't make a Martin sound like a Taylor etc.

For any sound that you could possibly want, you could get a mass produced guitar at a fraction of the price of a hand made one. You may not be able to make a martin sound like a taylor, but you can buy the production variants of either brand to get whatever sound you're after.

Exactly. It's subjective. So a person buying a CUSTOM guitar will get one that suits THEIR needs. They don't care if you like it or not. It's build for them.

Its not about me liking someone else's guitar. You dont need a custom made guitar to sound any particlar way. You only get a custom made guitar for some other reason than sound and quality. There are other production guitar, albeit "high end" ones, that would sound just as good (i.e. what ever tone you're after) and be of as high a quality or close to it. Arguably, CNC methods would produce more consistently quality instruments than a luthier would, as someone else also pointed out.

Again this shows you probably don't know to much about acoustics. If you can't recognize the brand how would you buy it? I can see someone buying a 3k Martin b/c a artist plays one, but noone is going to shell out 26k for a Somogyi if a) they don't know what the brand is, the name and b) they can't play.

You're right, I probably dont know as much about acoustic guitars as you seem to do, but why would you buy a 26k Somogyi? For the sound? Or the quality? Or the after sales service?

No. You get a Ferrari b/c you like what the Ferrari does.

What does the Ferrari do better than any other car brand out there? Its the image associated with owning a Ferrari. Not because its faster or more comfortable or more technologically advanced than a plethora of other cars out there. Hell, a Lambourgini Gallardo shares generic parts with the VW Golf I think.

You really do seem to have little knowledge about handbuilt guitars and I urge you to read up on them yourself before making claims.

You sorta missed the whole point.
Quote by jpnyc

There is just no point responding to you until you actually know a thing or two about hand built guitars. You're blindly arguing for the sake of arguing.
Quote by |Long|
You're blindly arguing for the sake of arguing.

My sentiment exactly.
Quote by jpnyc

that's how it seems to me, also.

Quote by |Long|
There is just no point responding to you until you actually know a thing or two about hand built guitars. You're blindly arguing for the sake of arguing.
Page 1 of 2