So right now I own a Fender Starcaster, and I've had it for a few years, and I think it's time for me to upgrade. I'd like something that I can play fast on but also sounds good playing chords, slower solos, etc. but from what I've heard that is impossible to find. So what I'm lookin for is, a 24 fret guitar, locking tremolo, EMG's, and preferably under 1000 but price isn't really an issue. The reason I want a new one also is because I played on my friends SG and I found it was a lot easier to play faster on the SG than it was on my Starcaster. I don't really care who makes it either, brand names don't mean much to me. I've looked at a few guitars but I wanted someones real opinion rather than the info they put under the picture in the catalog
drum city guitarland has a lot of good guitars matching this description, but if you want something fast, go for the Dean MAB-1. thats the only one i know of that matches your description perfectly. and its exactly 1000 from drum city guitarland
Sorry, I actually forgot to add one thing. I'd like to be able to go down to lower tunings, like C, cuz on my Starcaster C doesn't sound that great. But so far the Dean MAB-1 seems to be in the lead. What about the Schetcher Hellraiser? Do you think that would be what I'm looking for?
Last edited by kh2xiii at Sep 2, 2010,
Check out the PRS SE Torero.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by kh2xiii
Sorry, I actually forgot to add one thing. I'd like to be able to go down to lower tunings, like C, cuz on my Starcaster C doesn't sound that great. But so far the Dean MAB-1 seems to be in the lead. What about the Schetcher Hellraiser? Do you think that would be what I'm looking for?

If you want to tune down, I would suggest changing to heavier strings when you do. Odds are that's your problem.

Tuning down on a floyd is a hassle. Considering it sounds like you want to go quite low, odds are you'll have to dick around with the amount of springs in the back. Using a bunch of different tunings is much easier with a fixed bridge, although it's fine if you want just stick to a lower tuning with the floyd, or go between standard and drop (X) tuning.
As others have said, down tuning a Floyd is a real pain even if it's never going to leave that tuning and is absolutely impossible in practical terms if you're constantly moving between tunings. As for the guitars I'd suggest; firstly I'd look at the PRS SE Torero as it really is a beautiful guitar and very well priced indeed. In terms of build quality I think it was probably better than the Jackson SL3 that I eventually bought. I would have bought the PRS myself but I don't like active EMG pups. If you wanted to spend a bit more you could try the Jackson SLAT3-6.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
If you really want a floyd, I suggest an Alexi 600. I got one recently, and I love it. Oh, and you might want to check out the Dean VMNT. The pickups aren't EMGS, but they're active. I'm sure you would love that guitar to 'Deth (c wut I did thar?)
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Because you liked your friend's SG I'd check out an LTD Viper 1000 or EC 1000.
As people have already mentioned you probably don't want a trem on your guitar if you want to down tune.