Hey,

So I've got a few questions, thought it's easier to put them in one thread than have three going.

Note: I realsie these probably have been answered online before, but I'm just looking for simple straight answers my small brain can cope with

Ok:

1) I was reading an article and it was saying about humidity being a factor. Does it really matter that much? I mean, guitar shops don't seem to have a lot of humidity control in them, or at least the ones I've been to, and when you consider the amount of money that's on the walls, you'd think they would if it were needed. And a small mini question, hanging guitars on walls. I've heard a lot of bad stuff about this too, yet, a lot of shops do it, I can't see the problem really?

Tl; dr : Humidity and hanging guitars on walls, matter much?

2) I've read that if you change your string gauge you have to change your setup. Now if I'm going from 9's to 10's, will the increased tension really bow my neck or anything? I know it will put a lot more force on it, but if I try adjusting the rod like so many say and mess it up, that string change could be damn costly.

Tl; dr : Do I need to adjust the truss rod after putting a new gauge on?

3) Ok, last one. People say not to take all your strings off at once. Fair enough, tension again, I get it. But how are you meant to clean your fretboard? I can't see taking one off at a time, cleaning that small part of the board, restringing and then doing the same to the others as being that econmical.

Tl ; dr : Taking all the strings off at once, does it affect it that much?

Ok, sorry for the noobish questions. I've just read all this stuff in an article, something like "10 things you should do but probably don't" and it got me wondering, if a lot of people don't do it, does it need to be done?

Thanks.
Hey,

So I've got a few questions, thought it's easier to put them in one thread than have three going.

Note: I realsie these probably have been answered online before, but I'm just looking for simple straight answers my small brain can cope with

Ok:

Tl; dr : Humidity and hanging guitars on walls, matter much?

Tl; dr : Do I need to adjust the truss rod after putting a new gauge on?

Tl ; dr : Taking all the strings off at once, does it affect it that much? Thanks.

1. i dont reccomend it un less the bricks in your house are strong; plasterboard isnt. if its too damp or too dry, yeah that will make a small difference imo.

2. ideally yes; the neck needs a constant amount of tension as a general rule

3. well, if youre going to be re stringing, theres no problem taking all the strings off at once; clean the fretboard while youre there.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY ♂♂♂
as far as humidity goes you should get a set up done if you live in a really humid climate, and yes it will affect you guitar, now for the set up question if your going from 9's to 10's you are fine but if you go from 9's to say 11's or 12's then again you will need a set up. when it comes to fret board conditioner i usually will clean it with my strings on and just wipe the strings down when im done, that works for me but everyone will have their own method. good luck. ha i should of read that 1st question better huh lol
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Last edited by Opethfan1 at Sep 1, 2010,
ok here are the answers to your questions.

Humidity can affect a guitar but this mostly applies to guitars with thin finishes or no finishes at all and acoustic guitars.

While wood seems pretty solid it is still very porous and is like a slow motion sponge. it can absorb and release moisture. This can cause wood to warp and distort causing necks or bodies to deform. This is not really a huge issue however unless you live in a rain forest or a desert

It is not always necessary to adjust the truss after changing string gauge. I have seen some guys actually adjust truss rods look at the guitar rite after turning and say something like "ok thats better" This is bull. The truss rod adjustment is actually a very gradual process. the results of a truss adjustment actually take at least an hour or two to fully settle in. Wood is flexible as well as rigid so the wood must form to the newly adjusted truss.

Taking all the strings off can throw things out of whack theoretically but its a long shot. Unless you take the strings off and leave them off for a long time then you shouldn't have a problem. By long time i mean days weeks or even months.

also: humidity can effect the rate at which wood bends. wet wood bends and flexes faster. in the case of guitars it is not that much faster.
Last edited by Axim Bassist at Sep 1, 2010,
taking the strings off at once is really only a good idea if you know how to set up a guitar.

bridge settings change, necks sometimes need a tweak.

these are not hard things to learn. but some people have problems doing these things and i thought you should know.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I'm still waiting on a good answer to the use of guitar hangers.

Iv never seen a problem with it, but I never really looked into it....I figure we pick our guitars up by the necks so it should be fine right? Plus most music shops have them on hangers, so...I figure its ok right?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by teamhex
I'm still waiting on a good answer to the use of guitar hangers.

Iv never seen a problem with it, but I never really looked into it....I figure we pick our guitars up by the necks so it should be fine right? Plus most music shops have them on hangers, so...I figure its ok right?

I have some on hangers. Doesn't affect them. A couple of acoustics I had hanging by a leather strap tied above the nut for like 10 years. Didn't affect them. You should try to hang on inside walls though, so there will be a more stable temperature.

[Edit] And you should use anchor bolts, or butterfly screws, or something else stable to secure the hanger. Use regular screws at your own risk. If that's what you hanger comes with, toss them and get something more secure.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Last edited by Ratraisin at Sep 1, 2010,
Everyone... Really good advice! Especially the note about hanging the guitar(s) on an "inside wall"... This is especially true in Northern IL as with the temperature variations can REALLY wreck havock! My Fiance's previous inlaws took a piano and put the back of it against a drafty outside wall. In the middle of the winter.... PANG!... In the spring the scrap metal guy hauled it away... Granted this is an extreme case, but your instruments will like you much more (and you will have to retune a lot less).
As far as hanging them goes? I've got boards that were made for me to hang 3 guitars at a time on them and they are attached into the studs of my house. I've never had a problem with them at all! Downstairs we have a couple of individual hangers screwed into the wall. As others have said... If you can't catch a stud with the screw go get a GOOD anchor (Hardware store). the 2 extra minutes is a lot less costley than hearing a guitar drop in hte middle of the night...
And I've never really had a problem when restringing / cleaning any of mine either.

Good luck!