Page 1 of 3
So say a child has lived his entire life without a father, no siblings and nobody but his mother for family, does he then have a problem, or does he just need to lighten up?

Does not having a father or step-father/male authority figure cripple children?
Quote by vivalasteve
This one time, I was...erm...orgasming...but nonstop. It just wouldn't stop and, without being too graphic, basically was like how the blood was coming out of your mouth, then I got dehydrated and died. True story.
Quote by extrememetal94

Not in any meaningful way.
Quote by extrememetal94

It depends on thier personality, how their mother raised him/her, and many other things.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Hitler was raised by a single mom

now don't you start that shit.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Yes. How are you going to talk to your mom about getting your first boners and wet dreams?
PM me for newts
No not really. I grew up without one and I'm fine
Quote by Primus2112

*lolstack*

I had to do that instead of a real lolstack, because the number of lols would exceed the image limit. But dear god

Quote by Burgery
Well he's not a bad teacher, it just seems like he really doesn't know an awful lot about what he's teaching...
Last edited by TheIntruder at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by severed-metal
What a stupid question.

how? I'm actually referring to myself, it sort of upsets me I have nobody to call dad, although I seem like a pussy saying it. So I was just looking for some answers..
Quote by vivalasteve
This one time, I was...erm...orgasming...but nonstop. It just wouldn't stop and, without being too graphic, basically was like how the blood was coming out of your mouth, then I got dehydrated and died. True story.
I used to do a ton of shit with my Dad and my personality would be vastly different if i had not done so.
My dad and I are best friends and he is my role model and hero and I have no problem saying that.

In some or most cases this brings out the more feminine side of a man and he is more skilled in sammich making. Now, that being said, it doesn't mean that a father-less child is going to have a life any less enjoyable than any other child.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Fathers matter as much as mothers matter in my opinion.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
No, I didn't grow up with my dad half my life and I turned out fine....

Oh no wait I'm a pussy
Quote by extrememetal94
how? I'm actually referring to myself, it sort of upsets me I have nobody to call dad, although I seem like a pussy saying it. So I was just looking for some answers..

Why would it upset you. It seems illogical to me, and I'm from the same situation as you.

You don't need the dad figure, and the fact that your father wasn't there just means you'll probably be a better father than he was. (Unless he passed, in which case I'm sorry to hear that) but maybe it's my influence. My father was a dead beat, and I didn't need someone to call dad as long as there were people who I knew cared for me.

I was excluded from everyone else who had a father, but it doesn't matter. As long as there's love between family, then there's nothing to feel sad about.

Yes, yes corny as hell.

EDIT: Sorry for being a bit aggressive. But it bothers me when people think that without their father being there, they just might be subject to a worse quality of life. Ya know?

or that people like you and I are subject to being crippled in some way. When in fact, we're no more crippled than the guy with two regular parents.
Last edited by severed-metal at Sep 1, 2010,
Theoretically, it shouldn't matter at all, but I think that some social reports have been done involving parental and familial influence, and it actually affects development a lot more than you would think.
my dad grew up without a father. sure, he doesn't do manly shit like chop down trees, but he went to college, got a degree, and he works as a court interpreter. and he's a pretty wise man too.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Last edited by carlos_almighty at Sep 1, 2010,
I, personally, think it's very important. I wouldn't be the person I am today without my dad.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
I dont have a father, but he passed away when i was 7. And thats when my brother was 15. I think he filled his shoes.. and became that male figure so im not sure if im a good example or not.

Either way. If you think personality wise. Yeah im decent. But secretly im a f*** up
Quote by Afroboy267
[something about NiL having an std]

[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Funny you should say that, when I contracted gonorrhea, I peed almost a mist when I woke up that morning. That's actually how I noticed something was wrong.
Quote by StewieSwan
Yes. How are you going to talk to your mom about getting your first boners and wet dreams?

I didn't talk to either of my parents about that, I had to figure it out on my own. Same with shaving, (most of) how to drive, what to do on a date, etc. Now that I think about it, my parents haven't taught me shit.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by metal4eva_22
Hitler was raised by a single mom

GODWIN'S LAW
[/thread]

I think it does matter, but I think most relationships matter. I think mother and father are probably the two most important, though.

Quote by Craigo
A kid can be raised better by a single mother compared to a good mother and a bad father. Two parents of any gender will help raise a child up better. Just down to being raised well.

Basically this.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
without a father kids would grow up to be ifeminate and weak...and wear skinny jeans and have long straightened womans hair...wait, what?
xxx

killing is my business... and business is good
I don't think being raised by one parent will particularly cripple a child, but I think a child witnessing its parents divorce each other could.
I stopped having a mother before I turned four. She got arrested or some shit. Around the age of four my father dropped me off on my grandmother. It was years later when he took me back. Then a few years later he dumped me off on her again. Then he brought me back, and when I was 14 I ended up ditching him and living on my own.

I don't say I have any parents. I don't feel like blood family is important. Mine ****ing dicked me over. I prefer to make my own family, with people who actually act as a family.

It depends on the type of person the father is. I can say that the times I was with my father, I did learn some valuable things. And more importantly, I learned how not to be.
Quote by smartalec007
I didn't talk to either of my parents about that, I had to figure it out on my own. Same with shaving, (most of) how to drive, what to do on a date, etc. Now that I think about it, my parents haven't taught me shit.

this.. they provided food (when i was too young to work) and shelter.. everything else i pretty much did on my own
Well, as a young college kid myself, I think my dad really had and still has a big influence on making me into a man. By that I mean, he showed me how to respect women by showing respect and love to my mom. He showed me how to treat other men by how I saw him interact with them. He tried to teach me some virtues and manners, things like integrity and don't burp out loud when there's women around. Nah, I just think, without my dad, I wouldn't be the man I am. I consider myself quite blessed that I have a dad I love and respect.

But I don't necessarily think people who don't have a dad are doomed to fail at life. Hell, because they didn't have a dad growing up, they may end up being a good dad themselves.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 1, 2010,
Two parents>one parent. Gender of the parents doesn't matter much as long as they're both good, loving parents.
Quote by Craigo
A kid can be raised better by a single mother compared to a good mother and a bad father. Two parents of any gender will help raise a child up better. Just down to being raised well.

+1
Dudes with daddy issues tend to be giant douchebags, so I'm gonna say yes
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

My friend's father told his family he was going on a business trip once, so he packed a bag, took some money and the family car, and left. He called a week later saying he wasn't coming back. My friend was about 8 then, and he's currently almost 18. He is actually the nicest, most laid back and generally the coolest guy I've ever met, probably because he grew up with no sense of entitlement, and was taught by his mother to not be bitter, but just to make sue he grew up a better man than his father.
From my experience if my dad hadn't been around I probably would have been really difficult to discipline and turned out to be a huge douche. As for experiences to be honest I've not had any significant experiences with my dad that I've really enjoyed, he's paid for my food and given me a home, clothes on my back and most of the things I want but my parents always blackmail me ("oh we bought you this and that and you don't even listen to us"), don't let me be an individual, force their religion on me, force me to adhere to their rules, don't let me go to gigs/ other places I wanna go (so I lie to them) and so I've ended up hating them both and I can't wait to be free of them.

As for teaching me things like shaving and about women etc, I learned that on my own, talking about it with mates and stuff, so all in all yes my dad is significant and important in my life, but he's a complete ****er to me.
Quote by Milesthedude
If you're havin' room problems I feel bad for you son,
I got 99 problems but a room ain't one.

Artist of the Month: Mic Righteous

Birmingham City FC

Carling Cup Winners 2011
My experience:

I grew up without a father, as he left my mother when she was three months pregnant with me. But, I feel that I turned out just fine. I wasn't overly nurtured by my mother, and was taught to fend for myself if I had to. Now I'm about to go into Medical School, and living on my own, which I've been doing since I was seventeen. So, in my personal experience, I don't think fathers matter, but I'm a bit biased I guess, eh
Quote by longman240
From my experience if my dad hadn't been around I probably would have been really difficult to discipline and turned out to be a huge douche. As for experiences to be honest I've not had any significant experiences with my dad that I've really enjoyed, he's paid for my food and given me a home, clothes on my back and most of the things I want but my parents always blackmail me ("oh we bought you this and that and you don't even listen to us"), don't let me be an individual, force their religion on me, force me to adhere to their rules, don't let me go to gigs/ other places I wanna go (so I lie to them) and so I've ended up hating them both and I can't wait to be free of them.

As for teaching me things like shaving and about women etc, I learned that on my own, talking about it with mates and stuff, so all in all yes my dad is significant and important in my life, but he's a complete ****er to me.

Im sort of like that, except I learned discipline on my own(my parents actually think the amount of discipline I have is strangely high), and I pay for most of my stuff now. The only things that my parents have over me now are transportation(I'll have my license soon, though), paying for school(private school), and the way I look(I don't know how they're controlling this, but somehow, they are).
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I think this is a question you have to look at case by case. I didn't grow up with my father and I turned out well. Something I can say is that I think that I am less brash then my friends and more reserved and quiet. I don't really know if you can pinpoint that to my upbringing however. People nowadays throw this argument around to give some weak excuse as to why their child is brat and I just think that's bad parenting.
I don't think it will cause a person to develop incorrectly, but I adore my father like no one else. I imagine it could be quite difficult to grow up without that relationship.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
I grew up with both parents, however, my father was never around. He was always at work or drinking (he's a "recovered" alcoholic). So my mother pretty much raised me. She didn't do the best of jobs a lot of the time but I somehow turned out (pretty) good.

I've been left home alone since I was 5 or 6 years old with my only instructinos being not to turn on the stove. I've gone away in the summers to Canada to work so I had to learn to fend for myself. I can do everything in the house myself too.
Anyways, I think not having the healthiest of households has been detrimental to the way I turned out. However, taking what I put up with (on top my father's alcoholism, my mother's bipolar and really ****ing controlling) and somehow maturing. I never really did much with my father even when he quit drinking though. And with recent family dysfunction I've become a bit more distant with my parents.

Let's just say my upbringing could have been a lot better had both my parents always been there and if there wouldn't have been so much dysfunction (duh!). But, I think in spite of the difficulties I turned out fairly well. I recently started university to become a pharmacist.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by Putrefaction
Dudes with daddy issues tend to be giant douchebags, so I'm gonna say yes

Agreed, and girls with daddy issues tend to be really promiscuous out of the want of attention from a male, or they're very clingy.
Page 1 of 3