I just got my first acoustic and I'm brand new to this stuff. I've been playing electric guitar for about a year and a half, mostly metal and heavy stuff. I listen to a lot of music that isn't metal, though (everything from Sublime to Blink 182 to Jack Johnson.) I know a couple Sublime songs and a few Jack Johnson songs. Can anyone recommend some songs for me to sing and play uptown and at the beach?

By the way, sorry for the rambling post.
Pffft, who cares?
Drop Z is where it's at.

"Stop playing those pussy notes son... Play some MAN CHORDS!"

Ó én sokkal! Én vagyok, hát egy leopárd!

Anything by the Grateful Dead, Neil Young, The Beatles, Skynyrd(Simple Man!)... if you want to attract lots of the women, Jason Mraz, John Mayer etc :P

Oh sorry, songs? here's a few

Harvest Moon- Neil Young
Simple man- Lynyrd Skynyrd
Friend of the Devil and Ripple- Grateful Dead
Here Comes the Sun- The Beatles

Don't know really anything by the other two, sorry if these songs are "cliche" or anything. Maybe some traditional songs, Shady Grove, Wind and Rain
Last edited by jburde at Sep 1, 2010,
Thanks man I'll look 'em up. Does anyone know anything like Wayfaerer or Dialogue With The Stars by In Flames?
Pffft, who cares?
Drop Z is where it's at.

I'm not sure about the bands you mentioned, but you might like some of these:

Breathe by Sienna Skies
I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab For Cutie
Have Faith In Me by ADTR (this is an electric song, but I do my own acoustic version )
If It Means A Lot to You by ADTR (great for picking up the lady folk)
anything by Jason Mraz (I don't care what people say, I'm a guy and I think he's a great singer and lyricist, and he's not bad at guitar either)
hmm it depends what you want

drop tuning an acoustic to drop A is just, retarded imho - if you are gonna play acoustic at least play some songs made for the instrument - i.e. from artists listed above

Besides, its a lot funner to come up with your own chord progressions and jams on your own rather than play In Flames acoustic lines, lines that use 3 guitars at the same time (so it sounds wierd on your own)

Bottom line, theres not much in metal for a standard tuned acoustic in an entire song - try dabbling into pop and folk i guess
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Quote by Tominator_1991

drop tuning an acoustic to drop A is just, retarded imho - if you are gonna play acoustic at least play some songs made for the instrument - i.e. from artists listed above

In Flames plays in C standard, fyi. Besides both of the songs I mentioned sound fine in standard. Sorry if I sounded like a d***.

But thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Pffft, who cares?
Drop Z is where it's at.

Quote by sic006
In Flames plays in C standard, fyi. Besides both of the songs I mentioned sound fine in standard. Sorry if I sounded like a d***.

But thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Sorry i sounded like a d*** haha, as lame as it sounds, without lower tuning, many of their acoustic songs lose their mojo
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Do you mean just accoustic stuff? Or accoustic metal? Or do you mean accoustic stuff a metal head might enjoy?

I'm kinda having a hard time figuring out how telling people you're into metal has to do with anything in this context =/