I was listening to a song and one part was in 15/16 time (I'm not kidding). I know that 4/4 is "simple duple" and 9/8 is "compound triple" etc... but what is the name for 15/16 time? How do you determine the name of a meter that has a 16 in the denominator?

Also, what about 17/16 (also in the song)?
If I'm not mistaken they are referred to as complex time.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

that times really not that uncommon.

It would be "compound pentuple" and an asymmetrical meter. The 16 is kinda like the 8 in that the next note up, dotted, is the beat... still compound.
I don't expect it would be uncommon to a Periphery fan! I think i get what your saying, I just wasnt sure if the 16 changed things. Thanks a lot, man. Any thoughts on 17/16 time?
Quote by rhcpfan93
I don't expect it would be uncommon to a Periphery fan! I think i get what your saying, I just wasnt sure if the 16 changed things. Thanks a lot, man. Any thoughts on 17/16 time?

They, actually, don't use that many uncommon sigs! Most of their stuff can be fit into 4/4 pretty easily if you're ok with syncopation (much like their biggest influence, Meshuggah).

17/16 would be an additive meter/asymmetrical meter.
Quote by rhcpfan93
You are too smart.

I didn't know sucking up existed on UG, especially towards regular people(non mods)