I've recently noticed that when i play guitar i get finger pain after awhile of playing. I dont know if this is because i'm playing more complicated thing(not complicated rather more finger usage.) Is this something i'll get used to or is a sign of carpel tunnel or something??

I also recently started learning piano, i do a fair amount of typing in my day, and my fingers just hurt when i play really fast. I would assume this is normal and you just build up your fingers.

oh! and its joint pain right now my middle finger ache when pressure is applied. It's not a callus problem.
I dont know what information you really need so just feel free to ask questions.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Sep 1, 2010,
How long have you been playing? Could just be you still have soft fingers :P

Other than that, if the joint hurts, maybe you jsut injured your finger elsewhere
Quote by elvor0
How long have you been playing? Could just be you still have soft fingers :P

Other than that, if the joint hurts, maybe you jsut injured your finger elsewhere

1 1/2 years. Haha i hope its just that my fingers are weak. I would hate having joint problems at my age...

It may also be that i dont do normal warm ups before i play. (i usually just doodle stuff i played night before or w.e.)
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Quote by Aashraya
1 1/2 years. Haha i hope its just that my fingers are weak. I would hate having joint problems at my age...

It may also be that i dont do normal warm ups before i play. (i usually just doodle stuff i played night before or w.e.)

That's probably why ya hurt.
Quote by cringer
That's probably why ya hurt.

alright. So would warmups just be like

E:----------------------------------------------1-2-3-4
B:-------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------
G:----------------------------1-2-3-4-------------------
D:------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------
A:---------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------
E:1-2-3-1-----------------------------------------------

and just mix match the notes.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
If your hurting every single time you play and havin random finger joint pains, that's not good or normal. I would say stretching is more important than a chromatic exercise at this point. I've known people to run into serious problems by trying to "play through" weird pains. And I've had some issues myself that didn't go away easily. You can make matters worse if you don't put a stop to it is all I'm sayin.

Before you play, stretch your forearms, wrists and fingers (very gently and slowly) stretch them out good, but not to the point of discomfort. If the pain keeps up, you might want to lay off the guitar for a little while, but still stretch every day... Give your body a chance to straighten things out.
Quote by cringer
If your hurting every single time you play and havin random finger joint pains, that's not good or normal. I would say stretching is more important than a chromatic exercise at this point. I've known people to run into serious problems by trying to "play through" weird pains. And I've had some issues myself that didn't go away easily. You can make matters worse if you don't put a stop to it is all I'm sayin.

Before you play, stretch your forearms, wrists and fingers (very gently and slowly) stretch them out good, but not to the point of discomfort. If the pain keeps up, you might want to lay off the guitar for a little while, but still stretch every day... Give your body a chance to straighten things out.

I agree. Warming up and stretching out before playing makes a huuuuge difference. Also if you notice your hands are cramping or getting tense in the middle of playing, take a quick break and stretch them out again.

Always warm up before you stretch, dont stretch when you are cold. Massage your hands and fingers to get the heat in them.

I would recommend a video on youtube by 'GuitarLessons365' for examples of stretches.

Good luck, I hope you can get this sorted so it doesnt interfere with your playing!!
thank you guys! Really appreciate all the help
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit