Hey UG I just picked up 2 921 pacifica's for cheap one is that hideous redish violet color and the other is blue, I want to paint one of them white and don't know about the other one yet. I was hoping that someone has done this a few times on here that could give some advice, anyway I read somewhere that all you had to do was sand the clearcoat off with 220 grit paper, if you were going to paint it a solid color. Would appreciate if someone could confirm that or not
thanks
this is exactly what i want to do. But I don't know how to do it. I heard all you have to do is sand the paint off and then paint it the color you want...
I've always sanded down to the wood myself, don't want a jawbreaker guitar lol.

If your using a light color you would probably end up using more coats if you paint over the existing coat but other than that I don't see why not. I would use 150 to remove clear coat then 220 to smooth then 500 wet to really get it smooth. Then apply your primer or paint. Make sure to let it dry between each coat and sand it smooth so no bumps or lines show. It really pays off to do this after each coat because from experience I've put it off to the final 2 and it is a bitch to fix any flaws at that point.
If you don't want to put a clearcoat on after you paint let it hang and dry for a couple of weeks and buff it and it will shine like a clearcoat without the worry of having any cloudiness. You could also use the paint on gloss clearcoat that is used over stains and it works pretty well. Painting definitely takes alot of patience and if you try. And cut corners you will only frustrate yourself in the end and come out with a less than desirable result. Sorry if there are typos I posted this on my iPhone.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

PSN account - DeadAimHeadshot
yea thats right, i personally sand all the paint off and redo all of it but if you want to do it this way it works too.
Oh and be careful of humidity on spray on clear coats it can make a milky looking finish for months. Also if you paint white and clearcoat it sometimes it tends to turn yellowed over time.

Whatever you do do not use automotive clearcoat spraypaint as I've always had crappy milky clearcoats out of them.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

What kind of paint should be used, I really don't want to strip it all the way down I mean I a paid about 100 bucks for the guitar, but it's a yamaha with a warmouth neck so that part of the deal was worth it, but this red is just hideous, so you sand it down to the primer or use paint stripper then apply another primer coat or just your undercoat or paint? Then sand it again then apply your topcoat then you clearcoat, Anyway diminished faith like your quote above reminds me of something I read in college about Carl Jung
Quote by B.Cross
What kind of paint should be used, I really don't want to strip it all the way down I mean I a paid about 100 bucks for the guitar, but it's a yamaha with a warmouth neck so that part of the deal was worth it, but this red is just hideous, so you sand it down to the primer or use paint stripper then apply another primer coat or just your undercoat or paint? Then sand it again then apply your topcoat then you clearcoat, Anyway diminished faith like your quote above reminds me of something I read in college about Carl Jung

yeah its a tool lyric and they do alot of reference to Jung. especially on lateralus album, stuff about stepping throug your shadow, the animus, etc...

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

I work rebuild and paint cars all the time, and started doing a little guitar painting about 2 years ago. I always sand the old paint on the guitar with 320, and I don't sand it off. And, I use autimotive paint and clear and have always came out good.

The humidity is a factor, and will give it a whitish color, but anytime it does that to me it fades and dries clear within 3-4 hours.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)