hey guys im not a very old guitar player (14) but ive been playing since i was around 8 and i am fairly good i guess you can say i love to play but i recently notice i tend to habitly only pick down and i know that when i get into some fast picking solos this isnt gonna be very good so recenently ive been playing all the scales like crazy picking up-down up-down and so forth but idk if thats really helping cuz when i go to do like metallica and other solos i find myself picking down again any tips please?

note: my habits kinda wierd cuz i pick up when like its between 2 different strings and i play the top one first but like if theres 2 or more notes i play on one string i tend to go down-down kinda hard to explain but i did my best
Guitars
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez ndm-1 NOODLE
Jackson Kelly Proffesional KE2
Greg Bennet Acoustic

Amps
Peavey ValveKing 100 Watt halfstack
Marshal MG 50 FX :p

Pedals
MXR 10 band EQ
Boss DS-1
Last edited by mr ginger at Sep 1, 2010,
thanx
Guitars
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez ndm-1 NOODLE
Greg Bennet Acoustic

Amps

Pedals
MXR 10 band EQ
Boss DS-1
Actually, downpick as much as possible. If you naturally do that, then try and keep it up.

Alternate, or "up-down," picking is more of a trick of the trade than an actual technique.

If you learn a new scale, play it all downs. Get as fast as possible for you like that, then switch to alternate picking. That's your "hyper-drive" that you can kick into if you want.

Think of it this way: a good runner does not sprint the whole race. If you go out for track team and run a mile you might think, "gee, I'm a really fast runner!" Sure, you can beat everyone on the track if you sprint the whole mile.

But if you are the kind of runner that can compete at a high level at a sustainable run, like something you could do for hours and hours, and someone is coming up behind you, or you want to catch someone in front of you, then sprint for a short distance to gain that ground.

Anyone can sprint, and anyone can alternate pick. Get good at chugging along and you'll be a much better player later.

Besides, no one really wants to hear a bunch of wankery anyway.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

thanx thats nice advice but ya i can naturally down pick really feeakin fast but its basically as fast as i prolly humanly can so i can therefore never get faster then that so i gotta work on alternit picking (so says my teach!)
Guitars
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez ndm-1 NOODLE
Greg Bennet Acoustic

Amps

Pedals
MXR 10 band EQ
Boss DS-1