Hi guys im pretty new at guitar, but theres this specific thing that im having a really

hard time with.

Its a basic metal technique thats in thousands of songs but its basically like in this tab.

VERSE
e|-----------------------------------------------|
B|---------5---------5---------3-----------------|
G|---------6---------4---------2---------2-------|
D|---------7---------6---------4---------2-------|
A|-0-0-0-0---0-0-0-0---0-0-0-0---0-0-0-0-0-
E|-------------------------------------------4/5-|

Its where you pick the open A string 3 times then downstroke the chord then repeat

over and over. But everytime i go back up to do the triples my pick either gets

caught under the string or misses which completely throws the timing off. Just feels

like theres way too much resistance against the pick, which if i choke up on it i cant

hit the chords after the triples.

Its quite frustrating cause it happens even if i just watch my right hand. Meanwhile

other people can do this all day without ever taking a peek at their right hand, so

im wondering what am i doing wrong?
Try starting the first note with an upstroke, so you'll do a downstroke when you're playing the "chord".
just practice alternate picking. i did while learning the major scale shape, so i felt like i killed two birds with one stone because by the time i had the shape down, i could alternate pick easy
Quote by ((HeyOh))
just practice alternate picking. i did while learning the major scale shape, so i felt like i killed two birds with one stone because by the time i had the shape down, i could alternate pick easy

omg great idea hah my teacher wants me to learn like 8 diff scale shapes this week but im so used to only picking in one direction so ill just work on the diff shapes with alternit picking
Guitars
PRS Custom 24
Ibanez ndm-1 NOODLE
Jackson Kelly Proffesional KE2
Greg Bennet Acoustic

Amps
Peavey ValveKing 100 Watt halfstack
Marshal MG 50 FX :p

Pedals
MXR 10 band EQ
Boss DS-1
Quote by mr ginger
omg great idea hah my teacher wants me to learn like 8 diff scale shapes this week but im so used to only picking in one direction so ill just work on the diff shapes with alternit picking

i think it works so good because its not something you can already do, so you dont feel like you should be doing it faster or more naturally
If you feel too much resistance, try tilting your pick down at a 45 degree angle, so it's more like your scraping the string. That way you won't get caught on the string and you can go much faster.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/music_theory/here_is_why_your_guitar_picking_speed_isnt_improving.html
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
That's Crazy Train, isn't it?

You're going to want to angle your pick, everyone does it, if it's coming down flat against the string, there will just be too much resistance.