I use 10 gauge strings and the action is as low as I can get without buzzing, but the strings have this stiff/tight feel to them. I can still do some nice bends, but it's hard and I feel like I'm going to snap a string.

My other SG has the same strings and action and the strings feel nice and loose, easy to bend, etc.

Does it have to do with the angle of the strings over the saddle or bridge? Nut? Any info would be great.
are they rusted?
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Read the set up thread and if your feeling ballsy, adjust your truss rod accordingly. If i were you, Id bring it to a luthier, and get a set up
Your hands aren’t strong enough. Either keep using .010s until your hands are stronger or drop down to .09s.
Quote by drewfromutah
Does it have to do with the angle of the strings over the saddle or bridge? Nut? Any info would be great.

A sharp angle over the bridge from the tailpiece can sometimes make the strings feel stiff. It can also lead to string breakage. However, the SG has a flat top and if your action is very low, then the angle probably isn't too severe.

Have a tech look at it. You're probably going to end up changing string brands.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by jpnyc
Your hands aren’t strong enough. Either keep using .010s until your hands are stronger or drop down to .09s.

I use 10's and 11's on my other SG and G400 with the same action (and have been for years) and they both play much easier than this guitar.
Quote by drewfromutah
I use 10 gauge strings and the action is as low as I can get without buzzing, but the strings have this stiff/tight feel to them. I can still do some nice bends, but it's hard and I feel like I'm going to snap a string.

My other SG has the same strings and action and the strings feel nice and loose, easy to bend, etc.

According to a page I found it's to do with the scale length of the instrument; the standard SG has a 24.75 inch scale length where the SG X has a 25.5 inch scale, this means that the tension on the same gauge strings will be higher.

Just to test, measure the distance between the nut and the 12th fret and double it then post back with that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
According to a page I found it's to do with the scale length of the instrument; the standard SG has a 24.75 inch scale length where the SG X has a 25.5 inch scale, this means that the tension on the same gauge strings will be higher.

If this is true, then Zaphod has found your answer. The longer scale length would definitely account for the increased tension.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just to test, measure the distance between the nut and the 12th fret and double it then post back with that.

It's the SG-Z that has the 25.5" scale. The SG-X is a 24.74" with a single pup.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
It's the SG-Z that has the 25.5" scale. The SG-X is a 24.74" with a single pup.

Damn misleading website ¬_¬
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
brainstorm!! just remembered an old trick used by jimmy page and billy gibbons. when you string it, wrap the strings around the tailpiece reverse (like in the pic). it results in less tension because of the shallower angle of the strings to the bridge

Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!