I purchased a Dean VX, a very, very long time ago. It's a very cheap guitar, and it's been sitting in the corner for a long time - I broke it, and the pickups and all wiring was removed. I put it all back together - but I'm not too knowledgeable on pickup rewiring and what not. I've done a few minor re-solderings and aren't a complete idiot. But I don't know how to rewire this.

Can anyone give me some help? Maybe a wiring diagram would be good, I've searched and searched but can't find shit. The pickups may still be the stock ones, I don't know I bought it from a friend. The bridge pickups has a red wire, the neck a yellow. Three way toggle, individual volume and one tone.

I just want this shit rewired and can't pay someone to do it.

Thanks if anyone can help me through a little.
if you only have one wire coming out of each pickup and find a diagram with two disregard the 2nd one its just for coil splitting
They are humbuckers, and each have a fat colored insulator that has a white wire and a bare wiring come out.
I also have to re wire the switch to the knobs and the knobs to the output jack and whatever, not just put the pickups to where they belong :/
im still not clear on the pickup wires

is it a single cable for each with an insulated inner wire and a bare wire all inside more insulation? is it two seperate wires? what's the deal here?

as for a diagram, SD has the diagram you want, you just dont know how to look, apparently. look up the diagram for HH, 1V, 1T, 3-way switch.

if the pups have the coaxial cable (inner wire and bare wire) then the inner wire is ALWAYS the "hot" wire. the other wire is ground.
I used http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3T21_00/Guitar-Diagram-2-Humbuckers-2-volumes-1-tone-3-way-toggle-switch-View-Download-Free as a reference.

My neck pickup has a yellow wire coming out - which has in it a bare and a white. Same deal with bridge except it is red instead of yellow. I seem to have put everything in the right place. However, there is a very nasty buzz. If I touch the output jack plate or the cable going into the output jack it goes away... I don't know what the **** to do for this.
so it has a coaxial cable. good. makes things a bit simpler.

it is normal for the buzz to go away when you touch grounded metal parts of the guitar.

but unfourtunately "nasty" is a subjective word. Nasty to you may be tolerable to me. but regardless i have no way of knowing how bad the buzz is.

did you wire each inner wire to lug 3 of their respective volume pots and ground the bare wires?

did you wire the wipers of the pots (lug 2) to their respective switch throws and ground lug 1 of each volume pot?

did you wire the pole of the switch to the output jack Tip connection and ground the other jack lug?

is the tone pot's wiper connected to the jack's Tip as well? The tone cap connected across lug 1 of the tone pot and ground?

if you answered yes to all of those questions then the problem is in the solder joints, a bad pot, bad jack, or maybe the guitar just needs to be shielded (see the guitarnutz link in the wiring thread for a tutorial).
did you wire each inner wire to lug 3 of their respective volume pots and ground the bare wires?

yes I did, just as it said on the diagram

did you wire the wipers of the pots (lug 2) to their respective switch throws and ground lug 1 of each volume pot?

lug 1 was already grounded to the volume pot on all of them, and two of the switch throws were still connected, I reconnected the one that wasn't

did you wire the pole of the switch to the output jack Tip connection and ground the other jack lug?

is the tone pot's wiper connected to the jack's Tip as well? The tone cap connected across lug 1 of the tone pot and ground?

So this right here, I'm not sure I follow - which makes me believe I didn't do it correctly. I'm not sure what the pole of the switch is... and what exactly has to be grounded on the output jack, and exactly how to ground it also is confusing me. When I once looked at it a while ago, I thought that all I remembered being connected to the output was the two wires coming from the tone knob.

Edit: Okay also, when touching the output jack plate and cable the buzzing goes away. however when I touch the knobs to the volume, tone, and the switch, it gets worse.
Last edited by Gary.Blizzard at Sep 2, 2010,
edit: that means the guitar is not grounded correctly. rip out all the wiring and start over...

okay..

look at the jack. you'll see a circular ring in the middle of the wafer. that is connected to the ground lug. the other lig is the Tip (hot lug).

the switch pole is the "common" lug. it is common to the throws. throws are basically positions. i have gone into great detail about how switches work in the wiring thread.

grounding something basically means connecting it to the circuit's common connecting point. that's what that symbol in that diagram means.

go read through the first page of the wiring thread. you might learn something.
Yeah, I've been reading a bit of it, man you know you're stuff. I never noticed that the one lug wasn't connected to the rest.

So, the two wires from the tone knob aren't supposed to go to both, but rather both go to the hot lug?

The switch is still confusing the shit out of me. The one on here is a box with three lugs coming out the top, and the rest are ground to the side of the box.
\
EDIT UPDATE. Holy balls it's not buzzing now. I took the two going from the tone knob off of the output and put them back and now it's just. It's working! Oh man it's working! Man, thanks for all the help, you're a cool guy.
Last edited by Gary.Blizzard at Sep 2, 2010,
no biggie, man. next time you have a wiring question go ahead and post it in the wiring thread, ok?

conventionally, the pole is the middle lug. the outer lugs are throws.

for the tone, in this case the middle lug and one outer lug are used. you can either connect that unused lug to the wiper or leave it alone. but the wiper goes to the jack tip (only in the case of a master tone) and the other lug gets the cap to ground.

it's usually good practice to connect an unused pot lug to the wiper so that if the pot fails, the circuit wont be broken. in a case like a tone pot, you prolly would WANT the circuit broken or else it would affect the tone of the guitar.
I'm glad you responded though I was about to just put it back in the corner. I'm glad I have another guitar to use now though, even if it is cheap - I still like it.

lol. and you told me to start over

I also have another guitar, an Epiphone Explorer with a Gibson pup in the neck and a Seymour Duncan in the bridge. I had to rewire that too after an unfortunate accident and well, I didn't do it right. I've been wanting to fix it but since it's my main guitar and it worked, I didn't want to mess it up anymore. The problem with it is that the volume doesn't work and has some buzzing, but I should be able to fix that with help from you're awesome wiring thread and some stuff I learned from this. It's also the same set up as this guitar (2 humbucker, 2 volume, 1 tone, 3 way). Thanks again. When the time comes for me to fix the other one, I'll try to do more research myself.
hey, if i get stumped i just rip it out and do it again. it really works.

glad to help though. btw, under the first question in the FAQ post, I added some stuff you might want to know. i think its interesting.