Hey guys i found a fender fatstrat (HSS) MIM for 200 dollars.The seller is claiming it's in good condition but i know no more than that until i decide if i want to get it or not.What do i need to look for when buying a used guitar?Im looking to upgrade from my squire bullet strat to something better.Is it worth it getting this strat and selling my squire bullet strat?
I say go for it as long as the condition is good. Mexi-Strats usually go for $300-$500 on craiglist so this is a pretty good deal.
Quote by Mikewazousky
I say go for it as long as the condition is good. Mexi-Strats usually go for $300-$500 on craiglist so this is a pretty good deal.

do you think i should try to get a newer or older strat?Or does age even matter like american strats
Here is what you look for.
1. Is the guitar comfortable to play.
2. Check to make sure the neck is in good condition *ex. not warped/cracked*
3. Check all the electronics to make sure they are functioning properly
4. Check for fret buzz.
5. Is the body and hardware in good condition.
Those are what I look for when I inspect a guitar.
$200 seems kinda cheap(for one that's in good condition)
I bought my 04 mexi strat in mint condition for $300 and it works great.
Just do the check list devil posted.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by teamhex
$200 seems kinda cheap(for one that's in good condition)
I bought my 04 mexi strat in mint condition for $300 and it works great.
Just do the check list devil posted.

okay well is it so cheap it seems like a hoax?And im still wondering if age matters on a mexi strat
Age won't matter on a Mexican unless you're buying it as a collector and you're looking to sell it in 20 years, even then anything made in Mexico won't fetch much. More than likely it's somebody who doesn't have it set up properly and thinks it's a piece of crap that they can't sell for more than $200. Check it out and if you like it, buy it. Don't be put off by a crappy setup or electronics, that can be fixed.
Quote by tepperboner
Age won't matter on a Mexican unless you're buying it as a collector and you're looking to sell it in 20 years, even then anything made in Mexico won't fetch much. More than likely it's somebody who doesn't have it set up properly and thinks it's a piece of crap that they can't sell for more than $200. Check it out and if you like it, buy it. Don't be put off by a crappy setup or electronics, that can be fixed.

yeah but wouldn't it be pointless to buy it if it has crappy electronics and i just payed 200 bucks for a guitar with like no pick ups?Im guessing i wont need to route the guice since he has HSS and i could replace them with something better but i wouldn't know where to start looking.
I see MIM's go for $200 quite often.....even at GC's used site. They usually sell this cheap when the owner has no clue on how to set up a guitar and the guitar is all over the place in regards to it's setup. They think the guitar is no longer any good when all it needs is 20 minutes in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.

As long as the neck isn't twisted then you are getting a good deal. Also check to make sure the frets aren't already to the point of needing a complete level/recrown/dress. Of course these are things you should always check when buying a used guitar.

Yes, AGE does matter in regards to a number of things; not so much build quality, but in terms of type (and sometimes quality) of parts used. I can't remember all the time frames, but older MIM's have vintage size frets while modern ones have medium/jumbo. The trem blocks on some older ones are tiny....the new ones are much larger. Regardless, $200 is a good price and the Guitar will ALWAYS be worth at least that unless you completely trash it.
Quote by webwarmiller
I see MIM's go for $200 quite often.....even at GC's used site. They usually sell this cheap when the owner has no clue on how to set up a guitar and the guitar is all over the place in regards to it's setup. They think the guitar is no longer any good when all it needs is 20 minutes in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.

As long as the neck isn't twisted then you are getting a good deal. Also check to make sure the frets aren't already to the point of needing a complete level/recrown/dress. Of course these are things you should always check when buying a used guitar.

Yes, AGE does matter in regards to a number of things; not so much build quality, but in terms of type (and sometimes quality) of parts used. I can't remember all the time frames, but older MIM's have vintage size frets while modern ones have medium/jumbo. The trem blocks on some older ones are tiny....the new ones are much larger. Regardless, $200 is a good price and the Guitar will ALWAYS be worth at least that unless you completely trash it.

hmmmm so seems like buying a used MIM will be set up incorrectly?