So guys....Time for me to buy a high-end bass. I have a problem though. I live in the middle of no where in Alaska (seriously) and can't really try out any Fretless basses. I have never tried one but heard that you can't mimic a lot of the sounds that come from a fretless on a fretted bass (primus for example). So fellow bassists, should I buy a fretless bass or a fretted bass? How different do they play? Which one is better in your opinion? all input is appreciated.
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
depends on what you want sir, i own both, i absolutely love the sound of a fretless, but thats my opinion!
Destroy. Erase. Improve.

I am.
Man, I would say get a fretted bass. Try getting a dean btw. They're really good. As far as I know a fretless bass could have you sliding all over the place if you're not too care full. But, personal opinion, get a fretted bass.
hmmm so one for fretted, one for fretless.....
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
It's not really a better or worse kind of thing.

A fretless sounds quiiite different from a fretted bass. In most musical settings, a fretless might sound out of place.

There's a certain m'wah to the tone that is very unique, but you need to be sure that it's the sound you're after.

If you're unsure, and are gonna drop a big chunk of change, I'd say go fretted. I like the sound of a fretted better myself anyways.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by NakedBassist
It's not really a better or worse kind of thing.

A fretless sounds quiiite different from a fretted bass. In most musical settings, a fretless might sound out of place.

There's a certain m'wah to the tone that is very unique, but you need to be sure that it's the sound you're after.

If you're unsure, and are gonna drop a big chunk of change, I'd say go fretted. I like the sound of a fretted better myself anyways.

I guess I should say what kind of music I'm into eh?? Anything from Primus to Mudvayne really. I like all kinds of music. I REALLY like primus but it just seems like I can't get the right sounds out of any fretted bass I play :/. But yeah I like all kinds of music. Whatever the hell primus is, grunge, metal.
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
primus are just odd. and im an experimental player lol

i vote for fretless. you can play jazz on it too
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
You're only gonna get the primus sound if you drop super bucks for a carl thompson to custom make you a bass. What you should always remember is everyone is different and you bring your own stuff to the table in any setting.

If you've never played a fretless bass before being intune is gonna be a challenge at first. if you have another bass or two now I'd get a fretted and then take out the frets on another one fo your basses. or get a cheaper fretless now.

When your still unsure my suggestion is have two cheaper basses until you really know what you want. but if you have to get it now Fretted for sure.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ZaccB
When your still unsure my suggestion is have two cheaper basses until you really know what you want. but if you have to get it now Fretted for sure.

+1

Make sure your purchase is worth it. A fretless is a great addition to one's arsenal, but only get one if you'll really use it. Neither one is better than the other, they're just very different. If you need a fretless, get a fretless. If you want a fretless to mess around with, get a cheap fretless and save the rest for a nice fretted. If you won't use the fretless, just get a fretted.

TS, what exactly is your budget?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by dxpaintball8000
So guys....Time for me to buy a high-end bass. I have a problem though. I live in the middle of no where in Alaska (seriously) and can't really try out any Fretless basses. I have never tried one but heard that you can't mimic a lot of the sounds that come from a fretless on a fretted bass (primus for example). So fellow bassists, should I buy a fretless bass or a fretted bass? How different do they play? Which one is better in your opinion? all input is appreciated.

Les Claypool is definately my main inspiration as a bass player and I love playing primus tunes.

That said alot of their songs are done on a 4 string fretted, a few are done on upright bass (double bass) and then the most awesome (tommy the cat, my name is mud, etc) are played on fretless 6 string. But from what I can tell even though its a gorgeous custom bass its basically a 6 string fretless with an emg DC pickup, EMG-BTC pre-amp and weird string gauges.

I would think a standard 6 string fretted/fretless would be fine for playing primus tunes. What sounds were you trying to mimic?

I agree with the previous posters if I were you I would go fretted because it sounds like thats where your experience lays. That or get a combo fretted/fretless hybrid

http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR2010ASC
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
That's not a true six-string, because the fretless part is tuned to the same as the other two next to it, not CEADGC.
Quote by Slanderous666
Les Claypool is definately my main inspiration as a bass player and I love playing primus tunes.

That said alot of their songs are done on a 4 string fretted, a few are done on upright bass (double bass) and then the most awesome (tommy the cat, my name is mud, etc) are played on fretless 6 string. But from what I can tell even though its a gorgeous custom bass its basically a 6 string fretless with an emg DC pickup, EMG-BTC pre-amp and weird string gauges.

I would think a standard 6 string fretted/fretless would be fine for playing primus tunes. What sounds were you trying to mimic?

I agree with the previous posters if I were you I would go fretted because it sounds like thats where your experience lays. That or get a combo fretted/fretless hybrid

http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR2010ASC

I just shat my pants.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by 09phillt
That's not a true six-string, because the fretless part is tuned to the same as the other two next to it, not CEADGC.

I know its not but it could easily be tuned to a standard 6 string bass I believe. At least in theory Im not sure what the TS's budget is but if they can afford a custom bass they could definately take the concept and run with it although it's not as practical as a fretless or fretted bass I suppose.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Sep 2, 2010,
As a fretless player myself, I can say that fretless basses can be hard to transition to: I've accidentally slid up a fret or two MANY times. Also, you need to be accurate in your fretting-hand placement- I've ruined quite a few notes by being just a few centimeters off or so.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
I own both a fretted and fretless bass. I love them both to death. But given your love for all things Primus and Les, my humble opinion is that you should invest in a good 5 or 6 string fretted at this point.

While I use my fretless in jazz and some alt rock situations, it gets the least face time of all my basses. esp now that I play upright.