My current POD XTL hasn't pleased my ears after so many months of owning it, and I'm considering to sell it and buy a Blackstar HT-5 combo. At the same time, I was told that I could choose the option of buying a POD X3 Live but instead of plugging it into my shitty amp, I could use a pair of headphones. I did that on my XT Live already and I still wasn't satisfied. I want a new amp, but to think of it realistically, perhaps a new pedal would be better because I can just use a pair of headphones instead of my amp, and it can be used for gigs unlike the HT-5. And I don't need to spend money to maintain the amp's tubes. What's most important now, is that I really want better tone after so many years of hearing tone from a box of bees. What should I do now? The thought of replacing the tubes yearly kinda scares me too. Can the POD X3 Live really fulfill my metal, jazz, blues and post rock needs or is it just overrated? If I get the HT-5, I'd be buying more and more pedals. Sigh, decisions, decisions...
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Try different output settings with your xtl and the x3 live, alot of people say that if you have the output set to amp or something it sounds terrible, the x3 live sounds amazing to me when i tried it. And yes the pod will satisfy your needs, it's just a matter of tweaking it right.
If you if didn't like the sound of the XTL, you won't like the sound of the X3 Live. In your case, buy the blackstar. Though as Maowcat said, the POD actualy sounds pretty good, maybe you have some setting problem?
Quote by Guitar Sushi
If you if didn't like the sound of the XTL, you won't like the sound of the X3 Live. In your case, buy the blackstar. Though as Maowcat said, the POD actualy sounds pretty good, maybe you have some setting problem?

I dunno, I mean, I've gone through every amp model it has, and only the Solo 100 has acceptable tone to me. But it's still not the tone that I've been looking for.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
I dunno, I mean, I've gone through every amp model it has, and only the Solo 100 has acceptable tone to me. But it's still not the tone that I've been looking for.

Don't worry about it. You probably just don't like digital tones. Which simply means you have high standards thats a good thing.
or better yet,buy a zoom G9.2tt..IMO one of the brst sounding mulrifxes out there..if you want something which can achieve a tube like tone zoom is the way to go...tons cheaper than the POD..so if you dont like it,you`re not broke,you can sell it and get the HT5
I used to have a Zoom product, and it was the most digital thing I've ever heard, so it ended up as a paper weight. Is that particular model any good?

I think I'm leaning towards a new amp now.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Guitar Sushi
If you if didn't like the sound of the XTL, you won't like the sound of the X3 Live.
Bingo! The X3 is not that big of a change.

However I would suggest that if you get the HT-5 that you run the Pod into the FX return. YOu may find that the tube power amp will affect the tone of the Pod enough to get the sound you want. This is the same for a lot of decent tube amps. So the HT-5 doesn't have to be your only choice.

I would recommend a SCXD instead of the HT-5. It has more variety of tonal options, will work with your Pod if need be, and is cheaper.
Quote by Guitar Sushi
If you if didn't like the sound of the XTL, you won't like the sound of the X3 Live.

Hugely disagree if he doesn't have all the model packs.

The X3, since it has all the model packs, is A LOT better sounding than the stock XT.

If it were me, I'd get the X3. The HT-5 isn't nearly as versatile, and IMO the POD sounds better, after finally trying an HT-5 the other day - I really wasn't impressed. The PODs need a lot of tweaking, but they are capable of some awesome tones, even your XT.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Hmm, I don't know if the XT Live has that tone I've been looking for. I've spend so many months tweaking and tweaking already and it's either too bassy or too treble-ish. I'm looking for a tone similar to this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1K7VqvYfI0. I don't know if the HT-5 combo can do that or not though.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic