try this, start tremolo picking a note, now just sink the pick lower, into to the guitar, basically, the more pick you use, the more attack and louder it'll sound, the not tensed part, i think it's normal to be more tensed in an acoustic than on an electric, but try to be as relaxed as you can.
I little bit of controlled tension in forearm (which shouldn't feel like pain at all, more like burn after long playing) is necessary to have control over your picking hand. I'd recommend working on your forearm muscles, powerball (and general exercise like swimming and gym) works for me.
Complete tension-less playing is a myth.
Quote by mdeeRocks
I little bit of controlled tension in forearm (which shouldn't feel like pain at all, more like burn after long playing) is necessary to have control over your picking hand. I'd recommend working on your forearm muscles, powerball (and general exercise like swimming and gym) works for me.
Complete tension-less playing is a myth.

If your forearm starts to feel a burn like working out, that's not controlled tension, that's unnecessary tension. Complete tension-less playing is indeed a myth. Playing with minimal tension, however, is not.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Practice picking the string, then relax once the pick passes through the string, then pick again, relax, pick, relax and so on. A certain amount of tension is unavoidable, however you can train your muscles to relax after the pick. What you want to avoid is allowing the tension to build after each pick.

Do this really slowly to start with.

Hopefully that makes sense, im on a load of painkillers right now so my heads a bit foggy!