Seriously considering picking up this second hand Laney LC-30 on the weekend and I just want to check that it is right for me. I made a topic a while ago about a similar topic (Including asking about a Peavey Valveking combo) and I want to get some fresh opinions as I am now actually going in to try/buy the amp. It's something that is actually real, actually happening now.

So, my style varies from David Gilmour, to Yngwie Malmsteen to Megadeth. I play a lot of blues based rock and hard rock as well as neo classical and shred so 8 finger tapping, sweep picking as well as clean and light distorted solos.

I'll use a pedal to boost the lead channel (Negotiating a TS-808, running a Boss OS-2 atm) but I plan to use a lot of pedals including phasers, flangers, wah, delay and a few other modulation effects. Is it the kind of amp that will take pedals well? With that boost will I be able to achieve shred tones? ( I favour having lower gain for clarity rather then super high gain, but I guess Yngwie Malmsteen has my favourite shred tone) No interest in heavy brutal riffage, I'm the lead guitarist and the heaviest I will play is Megadeth type rhythm, mainly Rust in Peace era.

Will it work out for me? This weekend is the real crunch time to decide whether I will upgrade to it or not. Thanks guys.
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
It takes pedals well. Megadeth-levels of gain are no problem with a boost/OD in front of it.

Now whether you'll like it's tone for Malmsteen I don't know. It has a pretty modern tone to it, so it might not cut it for you.

It's a nice amp for sure, but you'll have to try it out.
But a Peavey Valveking Combo would probably not be any better right? Besides, I've heard the Laney has amazing cleans, which are really important to me. And a more modern tone isn't necessarily bad. I want to find my own tone, not emulate Yngwies or Gilmours.
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Last edited by kLinic at Sep 2, 2010,